Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 05-28-2023, 08:34 PM
Kobold

Default Is the Runed Coldain Prayer Shawl worth it for a Knight?

I couldn't find anyone who has asked this before in the Forums. Is it worth completing the Quests for the Runed Coldain Prayer Shawl for a Paladin, Shadowknight, or Ranger? I'd imagine it wouldn't be worth it for a Bard, because they hardly use mana for anything, except one of their charm spells, and I'm not sure they even get benefit from flowing thought anyway. However, I do wonder if it's worth it for the other 3 hybrid classes? Especially since they do not get very much in the way of mana regeneration abilities anyway.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:17 PM
Sarnak

Cool

For some reason I never found the stats(including FT) particularly amazing for any one but just a nice little bonus to doing this quest-line out of 90% doing it for completionism, bragging rights, pride in questing/tradeskilling endurance etc. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-28-2023, 09:35 PM
Planar Protector

It’s probably a big deal for a bard that uses charm constantly in groups. Combat stat wise I personally wouldn’t use it on a ranger or a knight. But I’m team MR for my ranger and hps/ac for a knight. Mainly…I’m lazy. IGS’s and chokidai pauldrons all day.So take that with a grain of salt.

Note: Bards to gain mana from FT and that’s it. 1pt standing mana/tick is HUGE for them since no meditate skill past 1.
Last edited by Snaggles; 05-28-2023 at 09:43 PM..
Old 05-28-2023, 10:05 PM
Fire Giant

I don't think the shawl is particularly worth it for anyone since the raid drop versions are much better and a lot less time consuming than the quest, but if you don't raid then, yea it's pretty good. FT 1 isn't something you'll notice immediately, but the efficiency adds up over a long play session, esp. w/o Clarity. Unless of course, you're a bard in which case you'll notice it immediately because FT is the only way you can regen mana faster in the game.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:08 AM
Planar Protector

For those on a budget, shawl is decent enough outside of raid settings imo—swapped it in during downtime or when there is no enchanter/bard present in group. Raid targets allowing, there are other, better options that are worth the DKP versus the time/plat investment shawl 7 requires.

For paladins, FTI helps counter the mana drain from divine purpose and, when coupled with crown of narandi, completely offsets it. SKs can take advantage of soul defiler proc, buy a narandi crown, and be set with or without shawl, but defiler is one of yelinak's rare drops. Since rangers can't wear narandi crown in this era, shawl wouldn't be useless, particularly for those who pull a lot both in and outdoors. Bards do benefit from flowing thought, though gear options only allow them access to the lowest version. It's still good QOL to have, especially since their mana bar resets to zero after accepting rez. That said, their mana doesn't get decreased by evac or various forms of mana drain so it isn't an absolute must-have if the bard is an alt that hardly ever uses charm.

It is kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of FT, especially for all of the required item acquisition/quest work, but LR for the hardest drops are cheap enough. In the long run clickies will save more mana than flowing thought but, as we are locked into the trilogy, por que no los dos?
Last edited by Ennewi; 05-29-2023 at 05:11 AM..
Old 05-29-2023, 11:02 AM
Fire Giant

Bring shawl 8 to p99.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

Shawl is good for knights. Shawl + Crown of Narandi is great when soloing. There are upgrades for your FT1 item if you raid, but good luck getting a Cazic Eye/Brain. Those are always big spender DKP items.

Sadly there are no cheap FT1 raid options for knights, so you will need to spend a LOT of time raiding to get Eye/Brain, generally more so than the time it takes to do shawl quest. It would be better to spend that DKP elsewhere, like Soul Defiler if you are an SK.

I'm using Shawl 7 on my SK currently.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-29-2023 at 11:18 AM..