Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 05-02-2023, 10:19 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default 22k to set up my new SK

Hey there, looking to roll a new SK and have about 22k to spend. I love tanking and utility beyond tanking appeals to me. Don't have any interest in being a raid tank, so not doing a warrior. I read some of these posts of those saying so many quit SK's 55+ because you can't tank much and soloing drops off. Is this true? Sorry, this is a ramble from my original question about how to set up a new SK.

Races I am thinking are Troll and Iksar. Ikky BP + Rygorr/Crusty/Sentient depending on race, Ebon Mace until 30 then Reaver, SCHW, Thick banded belt, AC/HP rings. That's what I got on mind right now.

On Green server, so not sure I got it in me to grind out another 40k for a fungi.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Sks can solo really well 55+ by fear kiting. Face tanking just a bit too much downtime at that point. There are a lot of places you can fear kite in close quarters. My sk could go a long time before needing med breaks. Bash/slam helps a lot for this as well.

I’d def go troll. Having regen and blood ember clickies help soloing a lot. You will be clicking the gaunts nonstop, and great for splitting too. And being able to use slam with a nice 2h is great.

Your list looks good. Reaver/haste is key and eventually go for crown of narandi.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Planar Protector

I agree with Crede, don't sleep on the Blood Ember Gauntlets. They are surprisingly helpful while leveling. I also found the gauntlets would land a lot easier on mobs with high resist than normal spells would. Not sure if there is some kind of hidden resist modifier on clickies vs regular spells. That being said, it's not the end of the world if you went Iksar or anything like that.

Shadowknights are uniquely positioned among all the melee classes for their ability to solo well 55+ with minimal gear. A monk can solo very well 55+ but only really once they get epic/fungi. I was ablo to kill mobs my higher level and better geared monk wouldn't be able to kill because of their high HP pool. High HP mobs on a Shadowknight just means you might need to recast fear/snare an extra time.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree with Crede, don't sleep on the Blood Ember Gauntlets. They are surprisingly helpful while leveling. I also found the gauntlets would land a lot easier on mobs with high resist than normal spells would. Not sure if there is some kind of hidden resist modifier on clickies vs regular spells. That being said, it's not the end of the world if you went Iksar or anything like that.

Shadowknights are uniquely positioned among all the melee classes for their ability to solo well 55+ with minimal gear. A monk can solo very well 55+ but only really once they get epic/fungi. I was ablo to kill mobs my higher level and better geared monk wouldn't be able to kill because of their high HP pool. High HP mobs on a Shadowknight just means you might need to recast fear/snare an extra time.
Yea I think a lot of people write off SK soloing 50+ because they think you need to be in an open field fear kiting mobs. There were several close quarters areas I did on my SK that even a twinked monk simply could not keep up with. This is when I found the most advantage of using slam on my troll, but eventually epic can help with this. Knowing pathing combined with short duration fear(especially with casters) really opens up some options. Add in things like epic/crown of narandi and I found myself able to go multiple hours at a time without having to stop at all. The 52/58 pets are also really good if you're using a focus item to get max/2nd max and many Sks are unaware of that.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:28 AM
Fire Giant

List looks p. good, but TBB might be more plat than it's worth imho. Also, definitely consider a picking up prenerf CoS. It is unreal fun.

2nd what others are saying. I mostly solo'd my SK 50-60, but I also pulled and tanked a lot of groups (mostly the hole). The "can't tank much" bit only applies to raid mobs.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:16 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea I think a lot of people write off SK soloing 50+ because they think you need to be in an open field fear kiting mobs. There were several close quarters areas I did on my SK that even a twinked monk simply could not keep up with. This is when I found the most advantage of using slam on my troll, but eventually epic can help with this. Knowing pathing combined with short duration fear(especially with casters) really opens up some options. Add in things like epic/crown of narandi and I found myself able to go multiple hours at a time without having to stop at all. The 52/58 pets are also really good if you're using a focus item to get max/2nd max and many Sks are unaware of that.
Thanks! Really helpful info. What are these focus items you speak of?

I managed to get a really killer price on a Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt and splurged to get one. I scrounged up some more plat but do not have enough for an ikky BP unless I do some more ports. Might be worth it to grind that out.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold16 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I managed to get a really killer price on a Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt and splurged to get one. I scrounged up some more plat but do not have enough for an ikky BP unless I do some more ports. Might be worth it to grind that out.
Definitely worth, grats on the horsey strap. Fantastic item for the cost.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold16 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

https://wiki.project1999.com/Torch_of_Alna

Heres 1 of 4 items to get the reclaim energy proc that is clickable from inventory. It's the only way SKs/Shamans can reclaim energy on their pets to try to get a max one. I usually stop when I get at least a 2nd max one(you can tell by looking at their max hit, the wiki will tell you what a max level pet will hit for then its usually 2 per level)
Old 05-04-2023, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Just to be clear those are mage focus items, that happen to have a clicky effect that is beneficial to other classes. They don't focus non mage pets.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:50 PM
Fire Giant

get a wep and cheapo haste and save up for fungi nothing else will help you as much