Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 04-08-2023, 03:10 PM
Sarnak

Default Making a Pally

Hey, I've been thinking about making a Pally but I'm clueless about the class. This is the gear I've collected so far:

* Neck: Black Sapphire Velium Necklace
* Head:
* Ears1: Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring
* Ears2: Black Sapphire Electrum Earring
* Face: Crystal Spider Eyes
* Chest: Barbed Ringmail
* Arms: Crystal Chitin Armplates
* Back: Shimmering Terror Hide Cloak
* Waist:
* Shoulders: Obulus Death Shroud
* Wrists1: Silver Chitin Wristband
* Wrists2: Silver Chitin Wristband
* Legs:
* Hands: Coldain Skin Gloves
* Fingers1: Velium Fire Wedding Ring
* Fingers2: Velium Fire Wedding Ring
* Feet: Lodizal Shell Boots

I also picked up a Ghoulbane. I could transfer a Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt from my Chanter main and maybe buy a Fungi to use temporarily, since I'll end up selling it when I can finally afford a Zheart. Looking for any suggestions on gear, particularly weapons for low - mid levels, relatively cheap upgrades or anything else useful for that journey besides Jboots MQ.
Old 04-08-2023, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Here’s an EC shadow knight Magelo. A couple items you would change for a pally (white bear instead of black bear cloak, thug Bp/legs). It’s a decent base though to work towards pre-raid. Mostly HP oriented, some might disagree or go with other items. Your list is quite good too.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:TestKnight

I would only use a Ghoulbane to quest the Epic. It destroyed in Classic era but the ratio is dreadful. I’d go with a quick 1h to like mid 20’s and swap to a quick 2h (PWC, Ornate Rune Blade, Carved dragonbone Spear). Once you hit 30 the damage cap goes away and you can hit like a truck with a reaver, exquisite, herbalist spade, etc.

Keep a 1h/shield and train it up when grouping. Especially so you can bash caster spells; for practice and so it’s less boring. 2h is going to kill much quicker though…even great 1h’s are painful to use past those mid levels when your damage is the only thing adding up.

Have fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Snaggles; 04-08-2023 at 03:54 PM..
Old 04-08-2023, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

I recommend a Kobold Jesters Crown for the insane Charisma, along with a Luminary Two Handed Sword for the Glamour buff. Those two items alone are going to be 60 charisma, and that's going to make using Lulls a lot less frustrating.

Aside from that, you're a Paladin... fashionquest is the name of the game.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

Grab a jade mace 1-10, you will hit damage cap and fast. After level 10 I went with rod of faith for my pally.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:05 PM
Fire Giant

If you end up with the seahorse belt and fungi you will have a very easy ride as far as you want to go. It’s a fun class and I really enjoyed mine. At 45 flip the fungi for deepwater BP. It’s less expensive and a lot better overall imo. For weapons the jade made or venemous axe is solid start. I used 2hs the whole way once the damage cap is gone. Reaver is hard to beat but you have to avoid magic mobs which really isn’t too hard.

If you are soloing, once you get higher lvl and the exp starts to slow down solo, you can start using Kilvas damage shield pots. At lvl 50 you should pretty much break even on them with trash drops and they will speed up the kills big time.

Edit: depending on race you may want to switch the Coldain gloves for Crystal Chintin for the extra strength. I went high elf and lack of strength was rough.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:15 PM
Sarnak

Appreciate all the info guys. Looking forward to getting started after I pick up a couple of those items.

And yeah I've seen the Deepwater BP in action, it's awesome. Hopefully I get that far. I'm mainly interested in playing my Enchanter but I wanted some alts to help friends out and stuff so I'm leveling a little 31 Druid for ports and maybe a 90% rez sometime in the future.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

It’s a grind but 59 is so good. The rez and that 1.5 second heal over time. Keep the faith and keep pushing, it’s a fun class.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

Depending on level, enchanter main could farm Skyshrine gargoyles for Guardian Leggings, then swap over to paladin and loot.

MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO DROP
Slot: LEGS
AC: 12
STR: +4 CHA: +5 WIS: +4 HP: +15
SV FIRE: +15 SV COLD: +15 SV MAGIC: +5
WT: 4.0 Size: MEDIUM
Class: WAR CLR PAL SHD BRD
Race: ALL except IKS

Decent enough stats and the resists make up for the lack of AC which is only 3 less than crystal chitin. Ranged slot, good starter would be Idol of the Thorned before upgrading to Othmir Prexus Totem. As others said, definitely look for a 2her; even the cheapo ones like Iceflame have decent enough ratios and procs to help compensate.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:07 PM
Sarnak

My pally is only 25 or so and I have been using a baton of faith with him for the past few levels. Never pulled my ghoulbane out since, even against undead.
Best part? The baton of faith costs less than 100pp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] As certain as I am you can find better weapon, I doubt the ratio usefulness / cost can be beaten.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ab9521a00...4dqyo1_250.gif
Old 04-10-2023, 08:05 PM
Planar Protector

Ghoulbane is trash. People seem to think pallies just wreck undead, really not the case in velious unless you get one of those tov dawncall weps. Based on your other gear you can definitely afford better. Reaver and a good haste are the priorities(it's very easy to find mobs that the reaver can hit). Pallies lack dps so get the absolute best 2h you can afford. From there just stack CHA & get the dw helm/bp.

Fun class, good luck.
Last edited by Crede; 04-10-2023 at 08:07 PM..