Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 03-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Planar Protector

I was trying not to post in every thread every day, but alas…lol.

Str = casual player
Stam = casual/semi regular raider
Intel = hardcore raider planning on socking a lot of really good gear
Old 03-16-2023, 07:40 AM
Sarnak

Mana pool is like your car's gas tank. If you could increase your gas tank's size by 10%, how often would that actually help you? Probably almost never. You rarely drive on a full tank until you run out of gas and then needed more in order to do what you wanted to do. But the only time a bigger tank does anything at all is if you do exactly that, fill it up and drive until it's completely empty without ever stopping to refill. While there are hypothetical scenarios where that could happen, it's not exactly an everyday part of life.

How often are you in a situation where having like 200 extra maximum mana would have made an important difference? This is not a class that regularly dumps a full mana bar into a single fight and would still have benefitted meaningfully from even more mana. That's for clerics and wizards. SK spells are just too low-impact for this to matter. The difference between all starting points into INT or none at all is the equivalent of like one 300 HP lifetap. And it only actually matters when you started the encounter with full mana and spent it all in one go. It's not like a larger mana pool does anything in a fight where you started at 50%, or if you started at 100% and finished at 30%. It only does anything if you started with 100% and spent it all in one fight and having even more would have made a meaningful difference. That almost never happens for this class. It's for clerics and quad kiters.
Last edited by Bockscar; 03-16-2023 at 08:01 AM..
Old 03-16-2023, 08:24 AM
Skeleton

Well said Bockscar, So where do you think i would get the most out of this toon if say i never planned on raiding and it's just a casual fun alt to solo/group with, would it be into Str like snaggles suggested?
Old 03-16-2023, 08:52 AM
Banned

May Erud have mercy on your souls
Old 03-16-2023, 09:15 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well said Bockscar, So where do you think i would get the most out of this toon if say i never planned on raiding and it's just a casual fun alt to solo/group with, would it be into Str like snaggles suggested?
If you're completely certain that you're never going to do any endgame stuff, strength would help you the most. It's less about the damage and more about encumberance, because while there's lots of strength gear, the tradeable strength gear isn't normally well-suited for tanks because it doesn't have high AC or HP. If it's an erudite, you can't even wear small banded/bronze; so if you made an erudite SK and put no points in strength, a suit of bronze armor alone would basically put you at your weight limit.

If you do think that you might one day progress from casual alt to endgame character, stamina is the safer bet. It's a little bit overrated for hybrids since you're unlikely to be tanking actual raid bosses, but it's still the only stat that really affects how well you perform your job. By that point, you should have enough strength to not worry about encumberance, and none of the other stats besides stamina will have any impact whatsoever on how you perform as a tank.

Just remember to put five points into agility so it's 75.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My human ranger sits around 200 str unbuffed. It’s really not an issue raising strength as a casual. And a shaman can easily give you 100+ strength at higher levels.

At 50+ 20 extra int is going to be like 200ish mana. This is going to allow you to fear kite longer(which you’ll almost certainly have to do) or last longer in a group setting before going oom and needing to med. Keep in mind too disease cloud aggro got nerfed so that extra mana is going to help with casting more of the expensive aggro spells in groups as well.

You’ll also get the peace of mind that if you do decide to raid, int will still be useful, whereas str will be capped with ease.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Besides very challenging solo kills, duels, etc having an extended range gas tank (to borrow Bock’s metaphor) isn’t very handy. I know in ToV on some long fights it might come in handy assuming you can tap through it. I’m thinking Jorl for example when heals are often scarce but 20 starting point is not going to fix that. Picking up the BiS gear you usually get mana, intel, and SV’s as well. All very nice but not the main drive of a knight for general use, IMHO.

It’s just a matter of picking what shortcoming will be most impactful or least annoying. Capping str is possible but asking a shaman for strength before Focus is humbling. Often you won’t get it. Likewise Stamina only goes so far so making it to around 205 is pretty important since getting hit is one of your main jobs.

I wish some stuff like Chokidai pauldrons also had some str and mana. If so they would likely cost 10x what they do now. For casual players who pick smaller knights and carry a bunch of junk having a decent amount of strength is a great quality of life perk. Running a bit slower than normal is annoying for a game that requires so much of it.

Also, sorry in advance as I post this a lot but it’s a DE with 20 points in Stamina and some decent tank gear. You can look at the main SK page and do some basic math to determine where a human would land with similar gear and your own point selection.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:TestKnight
Old 03-16-2023, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

Human? Needs more STR
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 03-16-2023, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
awesome thank you for this info so far it's very helpful. i ment a knight of bertoxx jimjam
yeah i would have thought you'd get more out of str or int over the leveling process than the stam? cause isnt stam at 60 only 100 something more hp?
Ah i call him dirty bertie bot poxy toxxy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 03-16-2023, 10:29 PM
Skeleton

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input. it's been very helpful to see everyones different perspective's and i find it fun to have these convo's cause i learn a lot. Much appreciated!