Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: Why do you like the Red Server/EQ PVP?
I like to gank/grief low level players! 9 31.03%
I like to be able to challenge players when they piss me off! 7 24.14%
I like the option of be able to kill other guilds that are gatekeeping raid targets. 11 37.93%
I'm a sociopath/psychopath that derives pleasure from screwing over other people. 11 37.93%
I like to compare how powerful my toon is by directly challenging other players in combat. 5 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2022, 11:40 AM
Sarnak

it adds a different element to a game, lets face it at this point that everything is known and min/max'd to a point that everybody knows everything and is the roughly the equivalent of working on an excel spreadsheet and trying to find joy in that. With a pvp mechanic it adds flavor to the soup, many points Jib pointed on are true. Thus taking a higher skill cap and makes the most routine things more exciting, i genuinely see the appeal and find most PvP games fun by that principle. Biggest problem however, is this particular server attracts the bottom of the bottom population as a whole, which that level of toxicity spreads throughout any emu server. Any rational adult will tell you the most important thing on a PvP server is population, you need a healthy balance of predators and prey, mess with that ecosystem and this is the result you get. Subsequently, the mechanics of EQ in general lead itself to this easy fracture. Take for example a pvp mechanic system of DAoC it's a three faction team system which is a system inherently put in place to negate alot of the problems that generate itself in EQ pvp. This isn't to say I don't like EQ PvP, it just has a lot of things going against if you're a casual player.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:13 PM
Fire Giant

It makes the world feel more real.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:40 AM
Fire Giant

I think what people may not see, that I see in a game like Classic Everquest, is it's a survival game. This idea may not be great, but it would be like adding in a chance to get hit by a snow avalanche. Technically that is no skill. Technically you didn't die from anything you did. That snow avalanche hitting you was from no error of skill from you. It was all chance and luck!

But it does simulate a good artificial world, when it's more of a survival game like that. Maybe not exactly the avalanche idea.

I want to feel like I'm in a world.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:19 AM
Planar Protector

Personally I think the best thing would have been to make raid targets turn you into PVP so like end game raiding was the competitive versino of EQ and the casuals just got to enjoy grouping.

I know that people think that the raiding gameplay in classic EQ is perfect and should have nothing changed whatsoever about it. But I think pvp raiding is more fun than regular raiding.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:37 AM
Planar Protector

PPl on blue and green are lazy and ignorant.

Pll on red are woke and legitimately better people all around. red is the literaly 1% of eq players.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I kind of curious why anyone likes the Red Server. The server would suggest that it's not very popular, but there are some very vocal proponents here in the forums. I suspect some of these people no longer actually play and are only forum trolls at this point, but still I find it quite interesting. PVP is not my thing. I don't like getting ganked/griefed by high level ultra geared players with nothing better to do, but bully people off of their server. Just curious what you people find, so enticing about it? I would rather cooperate with people and form bonds together taking down high level NPCs. It's a lot more fun to me than ganking or getting ganked by other people. Posting a poll, but feel free to post a open answer.
red servers > blue servers. EQ has the best pvp of any game I've played. Requires skill, ability to think on your feet and adapt, ganking, hunting people, fighting over camps, griefing. Haven't found another game that comes close to the enjoyment of EQ pvp on pvp servers. I wouldn't recommend the P99 red server anymore though. It's just turned into abunch of blue pussies all joining 1 giant zerg guild just for pixels. It's not even really a pvp server anymore, just blue 2.0. Pretty much everyone that couldn't get pixels on blue came over to red to all hold hands and do blue stuff. Before the server really died the pvp would always be 80 <nihilum> players vs 20 <whatever opposition guild was popular at the time>. even though nihilum got wrecked, you just didn't have enough mana/bodies to compete.

short version: wait till next red server
Old 12-22-2022, 05:55 PM
Sarnak

I like to keep my options open. Many situations in this game can be solved with PVP, but first there must be the option to do so.

Also EXP bonus. Don't have time for that classic grindfest anymore.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 12-23-2022, 12:50 PM
Sarnak

im just glad i was here for the glory days of velious release... lets be real, kunark era was boring af and classic was just about who can land the first nuke

anyways a lot of bluebies would enjoy red imo... the exp bonus for grouping is a great mechanic... all the other bs that "can" happen, may, but there's always options for recourse
Old 12-28-2022, 01:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it adds a different element to a game, lets face it at this point that everything is known and min/max'd to a point that everybody knows everything and is the roughly the equivalent of working on an excel spreadsheet and trying to find joy in that. With a pvp mechanic it adds flavor to the soup, many points Jib pointed on are true. Thus taking a higher skill cap and makes the most routine things more exciting, i genuinely see the appeal and find most PvP games fun by that principle. Biggest problem however, is this particular server attracts the bottom of the bottom population as a whole, which that level of toxicity spreads throughout any emu server. Any rational adult will tell you the most important thing on a PvP server is population, you need a healthy balance of predators and prey, mess with that ecosystem and this is the result you get. Subsequently, the mechanics of EQ in general lead itself to this easy fracture. Take for example a pvp mechanic system of DAoC it's a three faction team system which is a system inherently put in place to negate alot of the problems that generate itself in EQ pvp. This isn't to say I don't like EQ PvP, it just has a lot of things going against if you're a casual player.

This is more or less spot on.
Old 12-28-2022, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

I'm a sociopath/psychopath that derives pleasure from screwing over other people.
Encroaching Death, Imago, Krazy/sickpuppy, magnetaress, ol chew

this is the crew that would dominate red2.0 or purple 99