Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 11-26-2023, 08:51 AM
Aviak

Smile I'm new and

Hi all

I'm from Scotland and used to play EQ just after Planes of Power... at least I think it was then. I remember people lamenting the loss of the EC tunnels (I had no clue what that was, soon I id understand)… and wasn't that the expansion that brought in the Nexus?

I played for a few years, had a guild called Dawnwatchers and was all into playing the game as it came, taking my time and so on. Allakhazam was my bible and I used to spend days pouring over quests and maps to gain achievable items. As a cleric, I never actually got my epic item because as a guild we just weren't there... I think I had the shimmering pearl, I'll have to check - but anyway, you get the picture. Lot's of unfinished business, basically still a newbie and after so long away from the game I have no clue how to play. You should have seen the devastation when we tried raiding the Plane of Fear.

I have managed to log in to P99 and I was thinking of starting a druid.. but oh... I couldn't even figure out how to move or configure the windows. LOL!

Is there a rough guide on how to set your UI up and move around?
And what is the main difference between this project and the play for free version on Steam? I'm guessing it's timeline related but is there more as I see they run a timelined version?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:43 PM
Aviak

I've got it all running now and can actually move about, cast and run away.
Are there any current UI mods that people recommend? I only seem to have one hotbar... or that could be just me. Do we still use macros for targeting? Any current guides?
Thank you for your help and patience.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:37 AM
Sarnak

Hey, welcome back to Norrath. So there are official EQ time-locked progression servers but they're not free and nothing like p99. I don't see any reason to play live unless you prefer to play alone and box multiple characters and don't care about rampant cheating. The emulated servers like p99 or project quarm are the best way to experience the game otherwise.

As for guides the p99 wiki is the most important resource, look up the newbie guide as a good place to start. You can also find some stuff on youtube. You're limited to the one hotbar but there are a number of options for UI skins, the ones listed under both p99 and titanium will work here: https://www.eqinterface.com/download...&sb=lastupdate
Old 11-27-2023, 08:08 AM
Aviak

Hi Spoil, thank you for taking the time to reply. I was just looking through the number of "returning to Norrath" posts and thought I should have read and waited more before forcing people to read a stream of consciousness! So thanks!

The point you make about the wiki is great. It's so tempting to just Google but honetly, the amount of results coming back is huge and you worry about the validity. So emphasising the wiki as a prime resource is great. I'll also take a look at those UI's.

I'm on Green at the moment and absolutely loving it. Seeing people actually playing in Qeynos is utterly amazing 20+ years later!
Old 11-27-2023, 05:54 PM
Banned

Changing your UI

User_Interface_Enhancements

Custom_User_Interfaces

Early hunting recommendations:

Per-Level_Hunting_Guide

Platinum_Making_guide_for_low_or_new_players

Ultimate_Leveling_While_Making_Money_Guide

Credit to Loramin for maintaining the p99 wiki.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:43 AM
Aviak

Thanks for the pointers Seducio!
I have used the Duxa all-in-one to install the Duxa UI (which is lovely) and the water fix. I'm using WinEQ2 for the rest of the stiff and managed to fix the start in and target locations of file properties. It all seems to be operating flawlessly, so far!
Last edited by maxtorps; 11-28-2023 at 06:09 AM..