Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 03-06-2023, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
+6 neck will get you above the AGI penalty, same with the Crown of Narandi, both items that will basically never be replaced and will get you resists as well.

If you do end up replacing them and obtaining BiS, you will still be well above the AGI cap:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Paladin_BIS

Along with things like avatar & cat o nine tails, I don't see the value in that 5 extra AGI. Maybe in classic, but it's simply overkill in Velious due to the number of good agility items out there.

Dwarves should be going 20 into CHA if they plan to solo/group. If they never plan to solo/group at 60 and only raid, then WIS would be a better option.
The cool thing about being a terribly geared paladin is that you can still do the two most important things: cast DS and click your soulfire.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Planar Protector

Sure you can add +5 agi easy from items, but the time you need to avoid hits most is when you have 0 mitigation (naked). Thats why you want base agi to be 75 - it helps while CRing.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 03-06-2023, 08:08 PM
Planar Protector

A fungi tunic drops you 10 agil. It might impact things for most of your leveling life without having to wear something less than ideal (like obsidian bead hoops).

In the end having 5-10 wasted agility at char creation isn’t a big deal. I don’t think at least. That said I put 20 points into Str instead of stamina (70 base) and still barely cap str with Focus and Yaulp4. Mid grade tanking gear and even some solid ToV drops like the Gozz cloak aren’t loaded with it.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:47 PM
Large Rat

So, it does appear to be generally safe to just go +5 AGI then CHA or WIS.

I have seen a lot of people talk about the ability of Paladins to do a pretty decent job of soloing, even if it can be slow, and I definitely want to be able to do the same. I do see myself grouping as much as possible (because its fun to spend time with others gamers), but yeah, once I get certain pieces of gear, I would like to solo some.

That's why I guess I'm just leaning into CHA as the secondary stat....to help make the solo aspect a little more safe whenever I do get the chance to do so.

Do you guys know of Dwarven Paladins who've done this successfully?

I read about all the other races who solo, I guess because they all have much higher starting CHA.

Does this mean that Dwarven Paladins need to give up that dream and just focus on group play?
Old 03-07-2023, 03:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uza Khan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Do you guys know of Dwarven Paladins who've done this successfully?
you could dump everything into dex and do it successfully

this game is easy as fuck just make the char and get going
Old 03-07-2023, 07:04 AM
Planar Protector

With a crude stein and a couple basics lulling isn’t dangerous. Also don’t wear crusty armor.

I soloed to 60 easily and never died to a crit fail. Hunt bear a zone and you will never have an issue between root and loh on the run. Later you even get Divine Aura.

I wouldn’t sweat it. I would prob only do wis if you plan on raiding a bit. If not, stamina.

This is not a good comparison but a DE sk with points in Stamina (90 base). Even replacing the thurg bp and legs with the pally equivalent it’s going to be pretty close. a dwarf with stamina would be closer to the 205 target.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:TestKnight
Last edited by Snaggles; 03-07-2023 at 07:09 AM..
Old 03-07-2023, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With a crude stein and a couple basics lulling isn’t dangerous. Also don’t wear crusty armor.

I soloed to 60 easily and never died to a crit fail. Hunt bear a zone and you will never have an issue between root and loh on the run. Later you even get Divine Aura.

I wouldn’t sweat it. I would prob only do wis if you plan on raiding a bit. If not, stamina.

This is not a good comparison but a DE sk with points in Stamina (90 base). Even replacing the thurg bp and legs with the pally equivalent it’s going to be pretty close. a dwarf with stamina would be closer to the 205 target.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:TestKnight
Its less about being dangerous / risk of death than it is about mana efficiency.

Fewer resists --> less mana

fewer crit resists --> a lot less mana
Old 03-07-2023, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its less about being dangerous / risk of death than it is about mana efficiency.

Fewer resists --> less mana

fewer crit resists --> a lot less mana
Unless I’m misunderstanding you, having more CHA won’t impact success vs fail, just reduces your chance for a crit fail. Past 45 with DW arms it’s free soothing. So yea, a crit fail can make things dicey if it happens but for me getting to a place of diminishing returns is fairly easy. The bump from 65 to like 130’s for example. Unless pacifying out the Queen room 255 isn’t really “needed”.

Unless you are lulling nasties in like Chardok or Seb I just don’t see it an issue having less CHA. The last time I stacked it was splitting out unrest basement since there are like half a dozen spawns. Splitting two spawns in oggok, Grobb or HK only has to be done once if you can keep up with respawns. It’s pretty low impact work.

Literally the only time I go fill CHA mode is when I’m pacifying to like PH in Kael. Even then for the adventure more than the necessity.

To each their own. I just think it’s overplayed and again have a full set I’m constantly looking for a reason to justify using.
Last edited by Snaggles; 03-07-2023 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-07-2023, 12:14 PM
Planar Protector

There are some situations where it isn't a matter of lull splitting and keeping up with respawns though, like when farming dwarf heads in the gd mines. Two guards have to be lulled if killing all of the miners, and they will resist more often than not. And with 130+ cha, crit resists are common enough there. Blowing through invis rings is the other option, but not great since bag space is most important even with alts parked to ground transfer.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are some situations where it isn't a matter of lull splitting and keeping up with respawns though, like when farming dwarf heads in the gd mines. Two guards have to be lulled if killing all of the miners, and they will resist more often than not. And with 130+ cha, crit resists are common enough there. Blowing through invis rings is the other option, but not great since bag space is most important even with alts parked to ground transfer.
Option C roll a ranger for it