Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 08-24-2022, 10:08 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager and Quitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I choose not to allow other people to dictate how I conduct my life based on the idea that someone, somewhere "might" be offended by something I say or do.

That's stupid.

At the same time when I find something offensive, I turn it off, or go somewhere else, or ignore the person or offensive thing and move on with my life. Starting a crusade to weed out all evil in the world based on your subjective sense of morality is fruitless and creates people that have no emotional or cognitive resilience. And unfortunate byproduct of freedom (especially that of speech) means that people will say (or do) things you don't like.
"Oh hey, when i named it 'Jooh' i thought of it like 'you' not 'jew' but now that you point it out i can see where you might have come to that conclusion. sorry if it made you feel that way."

signed,
A normal person
Old 08-24-2022, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-24-2022, 12:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapeape [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A "normal" person
"Oh hey, I named my character whatever I wanted and you took it the wrong way. That's on you. Don't try to push your delusional 'put down all the things I subjectively find offensive' outlook on me. Also, stop talking to me. Go be offended quietly somewhere else. Hope you get the meds you need soon."

Sincerely,

A normal person
Old 08-24-2022, 12:38 PM
Banned

This might come as a shock to you but its not their job to police people's living rooms and the rest of the entire internet
Old 08-24-2022, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapeape [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
imagine an alternative world where a person finds out that the name they chose could be perceived by someone as offensive
I don’t care enough about “could be” to change what I’m doing tbh

See you in hell I guess, jk I know you’re atheist
Old 08-24-2022, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager and Quitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Oh hey, I named my character whatever I wanted and you took it the wrong way. That's on you. Don't try to push your delusional 'put down all the things I subjectively find offensive' outlook on me. Also, stop talking to me. Go be offended quietly somewhere else. Hope you get the meds you need soon."

Sincerely,

A normal person
RnQ

Lol. "Sorry" doesn't have to be an admission of fault or apology. Sometimes it can just be used as an empathetic reflection to show you acknowledge how you affected another person, even if you aren't feeling sympathetic.

Clearly you don't care about people being offended on behalf of others, which is fair enough. But I think you are just using that claim as a smokescreen to seem reasonable. Why? Because you also don't care about causing offence either. Which imho is also perfectly fair, but it does make you a bit of a cunt, lets be honest. I think you like that though. Big strongman image, can't be told what to do or think.

Sincerly,

Your mate,

Lord Jimmington of Jamly.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-24-2022, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrece [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This might come as a shock to you but its not their job to police people's living rooms and the rest of the entire internet
https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/EverQuest-Naming-Policy

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17488

It's their choice what to police and when. The project amounts to a small fraction of the internet. And no one's showing up at your house over elf stuff, except maybe ryan and/or sean.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:39 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jamly.
Lord Jimmington,

Honestly I'm arguing the principle, not my own personal actions. As an individual I am very pleasant in game, I'm kind and considerate, because that's the community I value in P99. My wife says I'm "overly considerate".

Like most people, things offend me too. Some stuff people say hurts because muh feelz, but the most I really ever say is "You're an asshole." and then I move about my day. Today, we have full blown crusades and cancel culture out to vehemently punish people for things they say, be it serious of comical, and I think that's a problem.

I value the freedom of speech greatly enough that I will support people's freedom of expression even when I find it vile or in the poorest of taste. As soon as you go down the path of limiting people's speech based on what you subjectively find offensive, I would speak up, and that's mostly all I'm saying.

I generally choose not to offend, but I still defend people's freedom to speak, even if we all can agree that those people are peices of shit, like racists.

Your Humble Peasant,

RnQ
Old 08-24-2022, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Goog post! You have my blessing.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
RnQ

Lol. "Sorry" doesn't have to be an admission of fault or apology. Sometimes it can just be used as an empathetic reflection to show you acknowledge how you affected another person, even if you aren't feeling sympathetic.
This was traditionally when the GF/Wife would give the BJ then make a sammich.