Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 11-25-2022, 04:26 PM
Fire Giant

Next step is to start implementing this progression functionality while salvaging as much of the existing min/max expansion and existing EQEmu rule/database value checking as possible. I jump in the emulator and mess around fixing the database as I notice things as well when the coding gets boring. Beyond this I'm still working on a master bug list for implementing more classic details as well as possibly creating a test framework to avoid unknowingly breaking intended functionality when changing things. This list will also be publicly available.

Have to setup my classicemu website and provide my more newb friendly emulator setup instructions ideally just run the exe to start the server on Windows possibly using an sqlite database to avoid having to setup a database. This should be performant enough for people wanting to mess around on their own server solo or with a few friends.

I'll probably start playing on TAKP because it sounds like their core mechanics are way more classic than P99. Need to start reverse engineering some things but they're also very open about a lot of the functionality and provide the pseudocode. I want to compare P99/TAKP as well and luckily I still have a lot of various classes/levels on P99. Much of the work I'm doing might be wasted when/if they open source their code but whatever I'm having fun for now and the future is never certain. Also I need to redeploy Faydwar using this new classic project.

Oh and I got the classic boats working using a disgusting hack but it works. Invisible 90 degree inclined doors with increased size that the boat moves along with it using the quest API and some custom packet functionality to only despawn/respawns doors for players on the boat to avoid the client side lag this causes to players on land who might be pulling mobs, etc who would notice this stuttering. The quest code moves the player in relation to the door when the door moves so if you're in one corner and run to the other the next tick of the doors moving your player still appears in the same place on the door that you moved to. There is some handling of changing door heading to the boat heading and how this also has to change player movement. This is a hilarious hack to me and almost definitely is going to dump players in the ocean especially if their computer connection lags, I love it. I'll probably add some kind of correction logic to catch players who probably glitched off the boat unintentionally so they get warped back to the deck unless they intentionally ran off of it. Ideally I can get a door model onto a spawn path which would be a much smoother experience for those on the boat. Currently it's pretty jerky but also reminds me of classic and is still functional in terms of moving around the boat and even fighting NPCs on it. The funny thing is the door packet thing means players on the shore watching the boat see a smooth sailing ship but players on the boat are in for a bumpy wild ride.

As far as I know that's the first time the classic boat models have "worked" since 2004 or whatever. Now that I think about it it's probably the first time you could ride the classic boats and also cast spells/fight on them since long ago I'm not sure when they added the "too distracted" message and blocked spells.
Last edited by azxten; 11-25-2022 at 04:43 PM..
Old 11-25-2022, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

I don’t think you could ever cast on boats, could be wrong
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t think you could ever cast on boats, could be wrong
You could early on I suspect if I look at the original EQ client files it won't have the "too distracted to cast" string proving it didn't exist when the first CD shipped at least but I could be wrong too. I forgot to consider the "too distracted to cast" message also helps locate the boat functionality. Did some reverse engineering and testing stuff but that should be a lot better starting place.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:15 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which character is yours? Shamz? I'll fix your SoW spell. I'm surprised there are so many characters already I guess people have been stopping by. I am focused on the "ClassicEmu" project so haven't been updating things on the beta server.
Yeah, I’m Shamz
Old 11-26-2022, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

Probably never been so concern about someone in my life than this wall of text guy.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I’m Shamz
Should be fixed now.

Quote:
Probably never been so concern about someone in my life than this wall of text guy.
Thanks for your concern.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should start worrying about the guy with the sad face looking back at you in the mirror each morning.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should start worrying about the guy with the sad face looking back at you in the mirror each morning.
You always worry about yourself first if not you don’t love yourself and can’t help others. Hope this helps you on your pursuit of eq novels of servers that are never happening.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:24 PM
Orc

Started a Monk over the weekend. Kick doesn't seem to be working - no matter what I tried to kick, it said the mob was invulnerable. Same thing happened when I got the first monk ability (roundhouse kick or something) - never would land because everything was invulnerable. Dwarf monk for the record.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:25 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Should be fixed now.
Thanks! I am not sure when I'll be able to log back on, my laptop died over the weekend. Maybe I can get my desktop to work again, we'll see.