Old 08-02-2022, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Real Dungeons and Dragons
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-02-2022, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

roll to take meds, critical failure, meds in ocean

go for a healthy brisk walk outside, fail opportunity roll, trip and accidently drop my mace on lady and her dog
Old 08-02-2022, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Personally, I've been wanting to run an in-game role-playing game. No need to play-by-post, and the game already has "dice" (/random) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

However, I wouldn't want to run AD&D 2E. If I had that "old school role-playing" itch I'd do AD&D 1E, or Basic D&D ... but really I wouldn't want to run D&D at all, because there are so many other great RPGs out there, and I'd want to run one of them.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

2nd ed DND is what EQ is based on right?

INT class casters
WIS class casters
DPS class fighters
TANK class fighters
Old 08-02-2022, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilzark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Playing by post would take a very long time, me thinks. Also, somebody would shit post it to death.
I think they still do it on the SA forums. I saw it there decades ago, I guess some folks are still at it.

I was pleased to learn after my long break that there's a good set of online tools out there now. Would have been all over it in the late 90's if I could have. We used Roll20 which was okay, I'm sure there's others.

I'd love to play online again, or in person, but too much RL stuff at the moment.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2nd ed DND is what EQ is based on right?

INT class casters
WIS class casters
DPS class fighters
TANK class fighters
All editions of D&D are like that, it's just that more modern editions (eg. 3E) added things like Charisma-based casters.

But even way back in basic D&D you had Fighters (tanks), Rogues (DPS ... sort of; they were more about the lock picking and trap-disabling back then, but they did have backstab), Wizards (Int casters) and Clerics (Wis Casters).

P.S. But yes, 2E was the main edition when EQ was being made, so if it's based on any one edition it'd be 2E.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-02-2022 at 04:58 PM..
Old 08-02-2022, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forum d and d sounds great
Too much mental illness here.

Play Neverwinter Nights. The old 2002 game not the new one. It's not 2e but it's a good representation.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Too much mental illness here.

Play Neverwinter Nights. The old 2002 game not the new one. It's not 2e but it's a good representation.
More like play Baldur's Gate II! And mentall illness helps!
Old 08-02-2022, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More like play Baldur's Gate II! And mentall illness helps!
But Neverwinter Nights has a great multiplayer community and unique servers. I never played the single player campaigns, I jumped straight into the multiplayer servers.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All editions of D&D are like that, it's just that more modern editions (eg. 3E) added things like Charisma-based casters.

But even way back in basic D&D you had Fighters (tanks), Rogues (DPS ... sort of; they were more about the lock picking and trap-disabling back then, but they did have backstab), Wizards (Int casters) and Clerics (Wis Casters).

P.S. But yes, 2E was the main edition when EQ was being made, so if it's based on any one edition it'd be 2E.
IDK you might want to look up the history of DND I think it was a big part of 2nd edition to design the fantasy classes like that, and is a lot more like EQ than 5th edition or pathfinder IMO and came about in like the late 80s afaik not while everquest was around.

Like i think rounding out the tolken fantasy characters into Wis/int/dps/tank was a first in 2nd edition. And indeed what EQ design is called out as being inspired by specifically.

Quote:
In the original Dungeons & Dragons boxed set, there were only three main classes: the Cleric, the Fighting man, and the Magic-User.

The first supplement, Greyhawk, added the Thief as a fourth main class, as well as the Paladin as a Fighting Man subclasses and AD&D 1st edition introduced a few more.

The 2nd edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons attempted to streamline what had become a hodgepodge of rules that only applied in specific cases in 1st edition.

As such, it sought to simplify the rules and straighten out contradictions. Character classes were divided into four groups or "metaclasses": Warrior, Wizard, Priest, and Rogue in 1989
Oh yea, btw if you're gonna run a D&D campaign inside of EQ use this!:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jibartik; 08-02-2022 at 05:30 PM..