Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be fair making it more risky to charm would raise the skill ceiling no?

Is there any proof that it's not classic on p99? "How I remember it" ain't proof, as I've been told numerous times about bard swarming.
Swarm kiting was well-documented back in the day. I also did a lot of real swarm kiting.

People who never played bard until P99 have no idea what swarm kiting actually is.

swarm kiting is NOT AE kiting lol.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Swarm kiting was well-documented back in the day. I also did a lot of real swarm kiting.

People who never played bard until P99 have no idea what swarm kiting actually is.

swarm kiting is NOT AE kiting lol.
I don't mean to further derail this enchanter charm thread, but..

what I meant by not working like it did on live is the pack would turn on the charmed pet once you got far enough away, some sort of leashing effect.

I used to play on a potatoe pc back in the day so my clip plane was almost at 0, so I knew once I couldn't see the pack anymore they would all turn on my charmed pet.

I almost got a wizard from Legacy of Steel killed because whilst kiting one time I got far enough from my swarm and he was sitting down close enough that they all charged at him.

No proof of course, but last I checked.. couple years ago, it still doesn't work like this here.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't mean to further derail this enchanter charm thread, but..

what I meant by not working like it did on live is the pack would turn on the charmed pet once you got far enough away, some sort of leashing effect.

I used to play on a potatoe pc back in the day so my clip plane was almost at 0, so I knew once I couldn't see the pack anymore they would all turn on my charmed pet.

I almost got a wizard from Legacy of Steel killed because whilst kiting one time I got far enough from my swarm and he was sitting down close enough that they all charged at him.

No proof of course, but last I checked.. couple years ago, it still doesn't work like this here.
I thought the only reason swarm kiting didn't work was bc they couldn't code it in properly? Every old bard should remember swarming TD raptors, right?
Old 09-08-2021, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Not if charm ceases to be a viable mean of achieving things and people simply no longer bother charming. They will just achieve the same results by sleepwalking through content with more players instead of soloing or duoing.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:07 PM
Planar Protector

To be fair, we don't know if the CHA changes may affect charm viability. Maybe the plans are that the average charm duration will still be about the same as it was with 255 CHA or something like that.

Even then it would be an unfortunate change as it would remove complexity from P99 and make it "shallower". I like P99 to be as complex as possible with eternal debates about the roles played by stats such as CHA or AGI or whatever. It's part of what makes EQ great.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

Im sure that they will be easier now with bigger mana pools.

Lull is pretty integral to my enchanter gameplay so maybe it wont change much at all, idk.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought the only reason swarm kiting didn't work was bc they couldn't code it in properly? Every old bard should remember swarming TD raptors, right?
TD Aviaks was my jam.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:

Is there any proof that it's not classic on p99? "How I remember it" ain't proof, as I've been told numerous times about bard swarming.
The argument that CHA should not affect charm duration assumes the original spell developer, Geoffrey Zatkin, gave false info when asked about this mechanic in 1999 as well as Niente, a more recent developer, in 2018.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Bargain bin amateur internet detective here but relevant??:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040124...60&Action=View
Old 09-08-2021, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Why would this be a nerf to charm? As it is, charm has several checks per tick for resist, cha, mr, etc. If you remove the CHA check, that's one less chance to break.

If anything, this just means less reliance on CHA end-game. Time to trade CHA gear for INT/HP.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Closed Thread