Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Kobold

Default Saum's Guide to Quading the Giant fort in EW

This is one of the Velious guides I am writing up for my fellow druids. I'm posting this in hopes of getting a little feedback on the write up and layout of each quad.

I have preliminary write ups and pics done for each of the following area that will be part of the overall guide

Snow Cougars & Snow Dervishes in Iceclad
Tizmaks & Kodiaks In The Great Divide
Ulthorks, Walruses, & Giants in Eastern Wastes
Panthers, Geo's, Goo's & Suits in The Wakening lands
Wyvern, & Othmir in Cobalt Scar

Anyway any feedback on this will be helpful for the final Velious quad kite guide !

Saum
The Quad Kiting Fool
Old 01-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Kobold

Giant Fort
Level Range 49-52
Zone – The Eastern Wastes
LOC’s -1780,2900
% of times it will be camped = 20%
Benefits: Faction and some cash
Drawbacks: Eastern wastes it can be hard to get a ress, have to work around the Captain

This camp is another one of my favorite camps. I leveled nearly exclusively from 49-52 using this camp.
The layout is very straight forward. There are 8 mobs in the camp along with the Captain. When I was doing this camp I like to split the 8 mobs into 2 different kites “using the captain as a separator”. The large area north of the giant fort is very safe and rarely do you see any mobs there.

Here is the safe spot north of the fort
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My first kite would begin by to waiting for the captain to leave the front of the fort "he paths towards the right building" I would pull the 2 front mobs and snare them. I would then run into the fort and snare the 2 mobs inside the left building. These 4 mobs I would bring towards the entrance of the fort and then run out of the fort to drag them northward.
Here are the 2 front guards
here are the two in the left building

For my second quad, I would pull the 1 Giant in the middle behind the fire pit, along with the 3 in the right building
Again pull them out of the building and towards the front of the fort. Then run out of the fort towards the north to our kiting area.

And here is a simplified layout of that “not showing the 2 front guards that are part of quad 1”

The only real issue with this camp is A Frost Giant Captain

The Captain has a ton of hit points and can really throw a wrench in you kites. If you are smart though, you can learn to use him to your advantage. North of the Giant fort is a group of dwarfs. You can bring him to the center of that camp and snare him as he arrives. They will do the work of killing him for you. Alternately I give you this little gem. You can have the dwarfs do the work for you while you med and get the kill shot !!

If you bring the captain to the dwarf camp from the WEST side you can have 2 dwarfs beat on him at one. Once they have engaged him move further over towards the eastern hut and med. As soon as he has finished killing the cook and guard he will head towards you. At this point the other 2 guards will engage him. He normally is able to kill these as well. But will have extremely low health “usually 20% or less” I always rooted him to be sure he fought the second set of guards. Now all you have to do is stand up and finish him. You get credit for the kill and the dwarfs did all the work while you medded for your next kite! It takes a little practice but it can be done.

This pic should give you a general idea of how to accomplish this
bring him to area 1 if you want a dwarf assisted kill, and slide over to area 3 once the first 2 engaged him
bring him to area 2 if you just want the dwarfs to kill him directly

Side note, he can drop a decent melee tunic

Between the tunic dropping from time to time and players looking for toes and heads for faction I made a decent amount of cash while I was here. Not to mention when I left I no longer had issues with Woushi or ToV faction !
Last edited by Griffy; 01-27-2016 at 05:16 PM..
Old 01-27-2016, 09:53 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Great job Saum! I especially like the screenshots that your marked up. Really helps explain what you are describing in the guide.

One thing you may want to consider adding is a bit more info about mana level required, whether or not you had to med kite to finish them off at 49, resist rates you experienced, etc.

Thanks for putting this together.

Caib
P99 Blue
Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 PM
Orc

Good job Saum! I have to say you were great to work with at the giant fort. Very courteous and helpful.

Dubwin
51 Enchanter
Old 01-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Fire Giant

awesome, can't wait for the next ones. Have you posted them elsewhere or still a work in progress?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Kobold

@delome yeah might be a bit late for that but ill try and see if i had anything in my notes

@zalus thanks man :0 I appreciate that

@Aesops they are basically done, I've been debating putting them on the P99 wiki but cant figure out how to upload images to that. and pics are not working on this forum for some reason.

once i get it worked out ill post the whole thing.

maybe is should use an off board blog?
Saum
Old 01-29-2016, 11:17 PM
Planar Protector

Images can be uploaded to the wiki using the Upload file link found at the bottom of the left-hand menu.

I recommend using a good naming convention (ex: saum_quadguide_##.ext) to keep track of all the images so they aren't used accidentally by anyone else and people can tell what they are if they happen to stumble across the file outside of the guides.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 02-06-2016, 07:44 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@Aesops they are basically done, I've been debating putting them on the P99 wiki but cant figure out how to upload images to that. and pics are not working on this forum for some reason.

once i get it worked out ill post the whole thing.

maybe is should use an off board blog?
Saum
Whatever you do, let us know. Pictures should work here, might have to use imgur in order to get them to show.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Kobold

Aesops looks like you were right. Ill go and change all my images over to imgur and try again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] thanks for that hint. I would never have guessed the pic local was the problem.

Here is a pic from my panther guide i tested with.

I will post the complete guide here as a forum post

Saum
Druid of Tunare
Member of Anonymous
The Quad Kiting Kid
Old 02-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Kobold

Looking forward to more guides! this was excellent!
Closed Thread