Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 09-15-2023, 06:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basically, don’t solo a mage like the other casters do. Solo it like a melee?
Generally this is exactly right. Mage is more like a hybrid class than a pure int caster. With the newish faster root proc, it's easier to deal with two mobs now, however Snaggles is right. Hunt for single pulls, easy blues that die fast.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 09-16-2023, 12:32 AM
Planar Protector

Or even a pure melee. I've said a mage is kinda like soloing a rogue or warrior, its a dps race but you have a fairly tough pet and way more burst. More squishy though.

I guess if I had enough space chain summoning would be my last plan. It's kind of like bow-kiting with a warrior...very gross. Without the space you just gotta race the hp war with nukes.

Ideal leveling though, easy blues, singles as little mana as possible. Later the classic Poof & Boom approach works great.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:55 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not really. First taunt or root will peel it off you. I put four pets into an Ice Burrower and if it was true it would have to chase a long time.

Consider packing root nets for hard stuff.
The pet can only taunt a mob if it's below the pet's level. The Mage pet levels max out at 48 for the Standard pets and 49 for the epic. Any Mob above that the pet will not be able to taunt. Also with the level variance for summoning not every pet will be able to taunt that same mob. Additionally the higher the level of the NPC, the less likely the earth pet's root will land.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The pet can only taunt a mob if it's below the pet's level. The Mage pet levels max out at 48 for the Standard pets and 49 for the epic. Any Mob above that the pet will not be able to taunt. Also with the level variance for summoning not every pet will be able to taunt that same mob. Additionally the higher the level of the NPC, the less likely the earth pet's root will land.
Killing stuff above level 48 is tricky? Further evidence the mage is a melee.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 09-16-2023, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The earth pet can root Ulump. Also I know that about taunt but as mentioned I’ve put four earth pets into an ice burrower and it jumped on the pet almost immediately each time. Hence the “all aggro transfers to the PC” is BS.

The toughest thing Ive killed with my mage is just an exp mob (prob a dozen times) but level 50. Even racing to kill with spells the earth kept it pretty locked down:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Svunsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Killing stuff above level 48 is tricky? Further evidence the mage is a melee.
Math checks out
Last edited by Snaggles; 09-16-2023 at 08:54 AM..
Old 09-16-2023, 08:35 PM
Kobold

"The earth pet can root Ulump. Also I know that about taunt but as mentioned I’ve put four earth pets into an ice burrower and it jumped on the pet almost immediately each time. Hence the “all aggro transfers to the PC” is BS."

You did that recently? Have you tried without the earth pet? I can guarantee the hate does transfer each time. I'll post a video for evidence when I have time.
Old 09-17-2023, 10:05 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The earth pet can root Ulump. Also I know that about taunt but as mentioned I’ve put four earth pets into an ice burrower and it jumped on the pet almost immediately each time. Hence the “all aggro transfers to the PC” is BS.

The toughest thing Ive killed with my mage is just an exp mob (prob a dozen times) but level 50. Even racing to kill with spells the earth kept it pretty locked down:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Svunsa

Math checks out
You don't need to chain pet Svunsa.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don't need to chain pet Svunsa.
I didn’t say that. It was commenting on being able to taunt off a level 50.

Quote:
"The earth pet can root Ulump. Also I know that about taunt but as mentioned I’ve put four earth pets into an ice burrower and it jumped on the pet almost immediately each time. Hence the “all aggro transfers to the PC” is BS."

You did that recently? Have you tried without the earth pet? I can guarantee the hate does transfer each time. I'll post a video for evidence when I have time.
I don’t know, less than a year ago when I was bored. Feel free, just my observation. All these calls for “evidence” feels very elf court. Log in, try it, see what happens.
Last edited by Snaggles; 09-17-2023 at 11:16 AM..
Old 09-17-2023, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Keep in mind that if all damage truly went to the owner of a pet on every charm break an enchanter would die. Even in a group or duo. A shaman wolf can keep the ench from being summoned.
Old 09-17-2023, 12:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Keep in mind that if all damage truly went to the owner of a pet on every charm break an enchanter would die. Even in a group or duo. A shaman wolf can keep the ench from being summoned.
On my enchanter if I don't blur off the mob after a recharm it doesn't stop chasing me. Rooted mobs that don't summon are obviously nothing to do deal with