Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 01-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DW is a bit easier with quick-swapping too. You can hover a tash stick, earthcaller or main weapon (and a BFG if you have it) depending on what you need.

EC loses less dps than a Swarmcaller. Swapping out from BFG to 2h is more clicks. It’s still totally viable and isn’t a test of reflexes, it’s just more work and a bit slower. The advantage to rolling around with a 2h is an easy swap to like an Earthshaker for bowing down Glimmers if you are feeling lazy.
just take a bio break on glimmers, ezpz.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DW is a bit easier with quick-swapping too. You can hover a tash stick, earthcaller or main weapon (and a BFG if you have it) depending on what you need.

EC loses less dps than a Swarmcaller. Swapping out from BFG to 2h is more clicks. It’s still totally viable and isn’t a test of reflexes, it’s just more work and a bit slower. The advantage to rolling around with a 2h is an easy swap to like an Earthshaker for bowing down Glimmers if you are feeling lazy.
see, now this ranger gets it

earthcaller + tash stick til enc/sham slow = big brain

dps doesnt matter if your clerics go oom
Old 01-11-2023, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

We did jugs once when our sham had ISP issues. The monks and I just switched to tash sticks and back to EC. Sometimes we could get it slowed at like 80% health, other times it took a while. Over the course of the fight it saved a ton of cleric mana. It was a lot of fun.

Hybrids are rarely if ever “the best” but they should always be flexible. Gotta pull your weight somehow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-11-2023, 11:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
We did jugs once when our sham had ISP issues. The monks and I just switched to tash sticks and back to EC. Sometimes we could get it slowed at like 80% health, other times it took a while. Over the course of the fight it saved a ton of cleric mana. It was a lot of fun.

Hybrids are rarely if ever “the best” but they should always be flexible. Gotta pull your weight somehow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its just those magical first few swing procs that'll make you go "oh fuck yeah best ranger p99"

i know the meta has changed and you dont kill a lot of flurries on the way to targets anymore...but same can still apply on any raid slowables...do those procs still rip aggro or are you safe to do it w/o worrying about blowing WS?
Old 01-11-2023, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

My first thoughts were EC + tash stick would be nightmare agro at 100%.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Jolt as an aggro dump is pretty gross. In most cases it isnt needed with exception to BFG discing. As a counter to the EC or tash stick proc it's really solid and is basically a one-for-one trade. I just jolt when a proc goes off.

In hate I often roll with Call of Fire as well to help with stopping gaters/CH's. It too is a lot of threat and needs some jolts but I think is worth a slight drop in dps.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah I've noticed Call of Fire works great in Hate. I like dropping Calefactions right as they hit 20%, too. PoH one of the few raids I prefer to be on ranger over rogue.
Plane of Fear, too. Way more control over fights.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Yea Calefaction is really good. If it lands a full hit that's 180dps even if for a brief moment.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I've noticed Call of Fire works great in Hate. I like dropping Calefactions right as they hit 20%, too. PoH one of the few raids I prefer to be on ranger over rogue.
Plane of Fear, too. Way more control over fights.
Its a very exploratory zone, so it’s almost worth being a ranger just for bind sight. It’s nice for harmony to work there too. It’s lucky ranger interfaces in a fun way with a zone they may need to spend a lot of time in (their floor two armour isn’t terrible either!).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-11-2023, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

Have both classes, I think pallies are better on paper but rangers just more fun for various reasons highlighted already. Feel like a glass cannon with DS and a whopping 90% self haste. Pally gonna solo dungeons better but if I’m set on doing that I’ll just play my enc.