Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-08-2023, 08:22 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelaboon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What it comes down to, is casual players (nothing wrong with that, I too am a filthy casual) not achieving what they want, whether it’s collecting legacy items, hitting max level fast enough, getting geared as early as others etc, then thinking “if I got a fresh start, it would be different!”

It won’t..
I think this is far from what the OP is saying. He says he is raiding and at max level, has accomplished what he wants to and it's getting old. What he misses the nostalgia of the journey... not just the destination. This is why most people are playing P99 in the first place. Yes, it ends up in the same place, but that's like saying life isn't worth it until you're 35 with a career and 4 kids. What a shite way to live those first 35 years if you're just waiting for the destination. The journey is the best part, and the servers have grown stale. It's time for Green 2.0
Old 08-08-2023, 08:24 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My point is that when you play a game for the wrong reasons, you are always looking for the next great thing. Soon ya'll will be hype about a new LDON/GoD server coming out saying it's exactly what you have been waiting for.
I'm curious what is playing a game for the "wrong" reason? Are you implying that the "right" way to play EQ is to be level 60 and raiding every weekend? And people who like the journey from 1-60 are playing it "wrong"? That's an interesting perspective.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where does my post make you think I was directing that towards you?
If you weren’t then I apologize. Thought you were since you said you guys and he and I had been responding to you recently
Old 08-09-2023, 06:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanatta01 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm curious what is playing a game for the "wrong" reason? Are you implying that the "right" way to play EQ is to be level 60 and raiding every weekend? And people who like the journey from 1-60 are playing it "wrong"? That's an interesting perspective.
I am not saying that it's the wrong reason, I am simply stating that when you play any game to "beat it", you eventually will. There are players that log in to get to the end and there are players who play to play. The latter tend to not find boredom in their travels while the first do. My point is; this scenario will repeat itself no matter what happens, so resetting a server, making a new server, none of it will ever be enough for someone like that.

It's not a detrimental remark, it's an observation.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:31 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Boring? Im having loads of fun, but I guess that comes with having 13 manastones. One for each class, even pure melees and a bard, kek =D
This guy gets it
Old 08-14-2023, 07:14 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Many people make the transition to doing classic EQ research when they get burnt out or can't play for life reasons. I was one at least. Look up an NPC in a city and see if he offers the right quests. Remember a quest that doesn't seem right here? Check everlore in the Wayback machine and make sure it looks right. You can do this whenever you want and drop it/pick it up whenever you're able. And it's a big nostalgia trip.
It sends me down the rabbit hole so hard. I'll start a new character and just look up every NPC who says anything at all.

The base game is just too solved so I play self found, guild self found, and hardcore. I give myself challenges to avoid the speed leveling path and find new items that otherwise I'd never know about or use.

P99 is awesome at recreating classic, but the community is fantastic at destroying classic lol.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:27 AM
Decaying Skeleton

The journey is the best part. Raiding sucks, Discord sucks, RMT sucks.
Old 08-15-2023, 04:05 PM
Fire Giant

it's what happens when a server has an end-of-life span. most of us are used to MMOs that keep coming out with new content to keep us entertained and keep us logging in.

p99 doesnt have that - so it can feel repetitive, etc.

but you can always step away fromt he game if you get bored. baldurs gate 3 is great. can sink hundreds or thousads of hours into that if you want.

i know ive been guilty of this too, but theres a weird sense of obligation to continue logging in and making progress in a game that wont make any progress. you could just as easily log out of your toon for 5 years, come back and everything would be the same
Old 08-15-2023, 05:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and live servers are horrible.
Live is the way to go, honestly. I've been having a blast. Gotten to do so much more than I ever would have been allowed to on P99.

Pros
-Game is actually complete, things are as they are meant to be. Factions work, quests work, etc.
-Far more agency in customizing your character. You can look like how you want to look.
-So much more to explore and experience. Plus stuff isn't camped 24/7, you can count on being able to do what you set out to do.
-Got more gameplay options when you can simply hire a friend to go hunt or quest with. No getting disappointed by people letting you down, like a guild saying they will help you and then ignoring you after you've spent hours collecting all the quest items to turn in to start a fight.
-Plenty of good and accessible gear, can kit yourself out as much or as little as you want.
-All class choices are viable. No more shame or ridicule in playing a wizard or ranger.
-Agents of Change mean that the server content can't be gatekept by one or two elitist guilds. I killed Nagafen recently and earned an epic, and no good guy or kingdom castle dweller was there to tell me otherwise.
-Tradeskill UI is just amazing. No more aching wrists.

Cons
-Freeport looks kinda strange now, I guess.

I don't see why more people don't just play live.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Live is the way to go, honestly. I've been having a blast. Gotten to do so much more than I ever would have been allowed to on P99.

Pros
-Game is actually complete, things are as they are meant to be. Factions work, quests work, etc.
-Far more agency in customizing your character. You can look like how you want to look.
-So much more to explore and experience. Plus stuff isn't camped 24/7, you can count on being able to do what you set out to do.
-Got more gameplay options when you can simply hire a friend to go hunt or quest with. No getting disappointed by people letting you down, like a guild saying they will help you and then ignoring you after you've spent hours collecting all the quest items to turn in to start a fight.
-Plenty of good and accessible gear, can kit yourself out as much or as little as you want.
-All class choices are viable. No more shame or ridicule in playing a wizard or ranger.
-Agents of Change mean that the server content can't be gatekept by one or two elitist guilds. I killed Nagafen recently and earned an epic, and no good guy or kingdom castle dweller was there to tell me otherwise.
-Tradeskill UI is just amazing. No more aching wrists.

Cons
-Freeport looks kinda strange now, I guess.

I don't see why more people don't just play live.
Cons: a lotta boxing

Isn’t there a lot of boxing still going on live?

Now, granted, I had a good amount of fun running a 2box duo there, but remember seeing quite a lot of box army groups running around with multiple chars and mercs on autofollow