Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 02-16-2023, 05:18 PM
Fire Giant

Play the class you want to play. As long as you're aware of the wizard's shortcomings, but still want to play it, that's the right choice for you. Don't worry what others say, even though they're right about the class.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play the class you want to play. As long as you're aware of the wizard's shortcomings, but still want to play it, that's the right choice for you. Don't worry what others say, even though they're right about the class.
I am playing what I want to play (wizard). I just wish being a wizard didn't also mean "you won't get to see Mistmoore until you can solo it at level 60".
Old 02-18-2023, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am playing what I want to play (wizard). I just wish being a wizard didn't also mean "you won't get to see Mistmoore until you can solo it at level 60".
I soloed a wizard to 52 in HK on single spawn kills. I’m sure you can do that to 60. I’ve soloed 4 level 60’s on single blue spawns.

If you are pissed people don’t want wizards in groups don’t feel too bad. They don’t really want rangers, mages or necro’s either. Exp is slower in groups too. Even over most single spawn solo camps.

Embrace being a recluse. It helps.
Old 02-18-2023, 05:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If we had a more accepting community here it wouldn't be an issue.
This is not a community issue, its a game mechanics issue
Just like with hybrids, non-cleric healing and other misc things. Wizards did not shine until Luclin
Old 02-18-2023, 10:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Embrace being a recluse. It helps.
I have for the most part, just kinda wish I wasn't so lonely sometimes.

But anyhow my life is still basically wyverns, still getting exp at 55 at least. I plan to milk those for as long as it absolutely stops giving me any shred of exp. Not sure when that will be. After that I dunno where I'll go. Suits in WL are so super contested i'm not sure if those will be an option. May just do the 1 spawn and AFK thing as you suggested. Do you have any ideas there? All I really know of is the exile in Swamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuanahto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is not a community issue, its a game mechanics issue
Just like with hybrids, non-cleric healing and other misc things. Wizards did not shine until Luclin
Right, but seeing as this is a 20 year old long conquered game, i'd hope that folks weren't so uptight about class choice.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Right, but seeing as this is a 20 year old long conquered game, i'd hope that folks weren't so uptight about class choice.
This game was conquered because of min/maxing.
Warcraft Classic. Warriors and Rogues dominated due to knowledge of 9%+ tohit is elder god king
City of Heroes: Homecoming, due to previous knowledge of 45% defense when fully IO slotted is godlike, less Defenders, Masterminds and Controllers
Star Wars Galaxies: Emu, Mind-damage classes dominate because only two ways to heal Mind damage and that shit comes with longass cooldowns and detrimental effects/wound damage. Also WAY more fucking combat medics this time around due to lesser-known-then diseases and poison damage.
Runescape, more people have defense vs armor trimming

A community is not always a nice community, but still a community.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
I play a main wiz on both Blue and on Green. Honestly, it's all about attitude. If you project a positive outlook on the game, you will actually get into a group, form a group yourself, because as a wizard YOU have the ability to pick up folks everywhere, and then enjoy the group experience. I actually mainly grouped on my blue wizard (Kunark) in Unrest, MM, Lguk, and Seb. If I couldn't find a group at all, I did some singles or quadding. The only real soloing I did purposely was quadding Bloodgills and Raptors because I really wanted to get to 60 as quickly as possible. Again, this was pre-Velious.

About your epic, you will absolutely need a guild. I can't stress this enough. And it will take time, possibly YEARS. I had to wait forever to get VS pre-nerf when the staff was super rare. There were alts getting it before I did as a WIZ MAIN. So yes, you have to be ultra patient in this game to achieve your goals, especially if you want to be an epic'd wiz with high-end gear, i.e., Seb, VP, ToV items.

About plat, I can tell you what I did but it might not translate the same. I did something that AFAIK no other wizard did -- I became a JC'er! All of my initial funding was through JC. It took me one day to do 1-202, and then about 3 weeks to hit 250. At that point I was gearing up folks with full resists sets. I actually never purchased a significant item to wear. My gear was all quested or DKP through my guild. All my plat funds went into other trades which I eventually maxed out or have come very close (baking, pottery, tailoring almost 200). I wanted to be able to do the Shawl Quest right away when it came out, which it did. I also farmed all the pp camps that were common back then. I farmed so many skins, pelts, I can't even tell you how many I got. As an Erudite, I am also a Cultural Tailor, and have made many folks full sets of Steelsilk visible armor. If you want serious dedication, roll an Erudite and start farming Terrorantula Silks. There is nothing more grueling than that! This is coming from someone who took 120 hour to do PS!! That's nothing compared to farming the giant spider silks.

I can tell you I had fun at every point because I knew what I wanted my identity to be (as you referenced earlier). I knew I was choosing a unique path, but that path was solely mine and I relish it to this day. So, find your own path, make it your own, and have fun doing it!
Last edited by WizardEQ; 02-19-2023 at 01:34 PM..
Old 02-19-2023, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

If you choose an interesting path you’ll be cheered on, especially if you broadcast yourself positively.

On red server hatespawn was a warrior gruellingly soloing 1-60 in the lavastorm area and he received a lot of recognition and praise for it.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-20-2023, 01:34 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, find your own path, make it your own, and have fun doing it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you choose an interesting path you’ll be cheered on,
I want to but it feels like nothing I do will ever be respected or heralded. I'm just a big loser and a big nobody, and the tiny scraps I seem to be able to dig up is nothing worth celebrating. Getting shawl 4 was a massive challenge for me that took weeks but no one is ever going to say that was a worthy accomplishment. They're just going to laugh at my inability to go further.

I just want to feel like a winner at something in my life, that's all.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:16 AM
Aviak

Quote:
I want to but it feels like nothing I do will ever be respected or heralded. I'm just a big loser and a big nobody, and the tiny scraps I seem to be able to dig up is nothing worth celebrating. Getting shawl 4 was a massive challenge for me that took weeks but no one is ever going to say that was a worthy accomplishment. They're just going to laugh at my inability to go further.

I just want to feel like a winner at something in my life, that's all.
And there you have the opposite of what was recommended
>>Honestly, it's all about attitude. If you project a positive outlook on the game,
>>you will actually get into a group, form a group yourself, because as a wizard
>>YOU have the ability to pick up folks everywhere, and then enjoy the group experience.

Others praise and respect won’t do a thing for you if you yourself doesn’t recognise that whatever it is that you do is worthy of praise and respect