Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Sarnak

Default Vanguard: Sago Of Hero's

Anyone still play this? I saw the disc laying around over Turkey day break and decided to give it a shot again.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Project Manager

I moved directly from VG to eqemu. I haven't played in about.. 3 years? The raid zone was due to open when I retired. AQ or something like that.

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/ch...Id=51539726404

Best single player game ever :P
Old 11-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

Vanguard is the greatest tragedy of my lifetime
Old 11-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Sarnak

Nilbog I need someone to play with! Should start playing again, heard they changed alot of things. I only played like beta and about a month after that.

Patching as we speak, this is taking forever.
Last edited by ooantipostoo; 11-27-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Orc

I loved Vanguard... too bad it had so much wrong with it. Diplomacy was a blast, I would play card games all day =p

Now, I am waiting for Rift.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

I finally have a computer that's close enough to give it a whirl, but don't feel like spending any money on it right now. And to be honest, I think EQ2 or Eve-Online or most other things would be a better investment. Why? Because Vanguard is almost dead. Population is at a trickle. They've continued to merge servers and the diehards remain. They won't leave until the servers shutdown. The game doesn't have a future in my view. I don't want to invest in a character in a game that I don't feel will be around several years from now. I think Vanguard is tainted by its original failures before launch. Having SOE buy the rights to Vanguard did not remove this taint. In fact, it might have made it worse since that just makes Vanguard another SOE mmo. Vanguard got lost in the crowd of SOE games. Vanguard has always seemed somehow weak or confused or clumsy. That has always bothered me and makes me not trust it and without trust I do not want to touch it.

I have nothing against Brad McQuaid as a designer. I don't like WoW games. I liked SWG the way it was before NGE. I don't like the 'iconic heroes' that Smedley barfs out of his mouth. But none of this has anything to do with Brad. In fact, Brad was well aware of all of the things that would make Vanguard more WoW-like or 'easier' and supported them for the most part. As a designer he understood the need for some of those things, but as a designer he could see past the trees and see the forest itself. The same can't be said for most players who regurgitate what they've seen in one place and crap it out in another. Most players do not have any understand about game design or MMO development. They just have a rough handle on what they think they like in these games. For hte most part, most designers will pick apart any game from any company whether it's WoW or Aion or EQ2 or something from an indie company. Designers are very open minded about these things and love to discuss it. It's not a war between WoW and other games. It's not a war between veterans and noobs. It's just a very confusing place and I hope you don't get lost in it because i've been there and know how it's.

I've recently played DDO, Entropia Universe and have thought about trying Dawntide in its open beta. Personally, I think the game will flounder unless it can really figure out where it belongs. So many MMOs fail and for many reasons. Right now Eve-Online looks real good to me.

I also think that with all of the fuss about MMORPGs, we're losing sight of single player RPGs and just how fun they can be. I hope that as an industry it's not left to the wayside. MMOs are not the holy grail. A quick run over to store.steampowered.com opens up a world of history to people. Some of hte RPGs I have on my wish-list are: Gothic I/II/III/IV, Evil Islands: Cursed of the Lost Soul, Kings Bounty: The Legend, Torchlight (diablo-like), Baldures Gate 1/2 (quest-oriented), Icewind Dale 1/2 (combat-oriented), Wizardry series (all the way back to the 80's), 1701 A.D. (wanted to check this one out, although it's not really rpg), and on and on and on. There're a number of them from the 80's and early 90's that offer a very unique style of play that's hard to find anymore. So many great games out there, in fact, there're too many to enjoy in a single lifetime. And this is not accounting for all of hte games that have yet to be. All of the awesome potentials to be realized.

I've skipped a crapload of strategy/pseudo-rpg games like Jagged Alliance 1/2.

As for running OLD games, go on over to http://www.dosbox.com/. I've used and works very well.

So much history, so much possibility, and so little time.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 11-27-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Old 11-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Fire Giant

My perception of Vanguard was always that it was bigger and badder than EQ. My brother told me it made him feel like the early days of EQ again, where you were nothing and the game didn't owe you anything, or care if you ever left the starter area.
I think that intimidated a lot of people who really got burnt out on the leveling treadmill that was EQ in the beginning.
I shied away from it due to the publicity that it was every bit as all-consuming in-your-face immersive as EQ and then some. With other companies making casual-friendly games that could be played productively for an hour at a time( not just WoW), it made it pretty unappealing to think Vanguard would require weeks of killing aggressive fauna to see any accomplishment.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Banned

The fact that it was catering to the hardcore poopsocker definitely limited VG's sales potential, but I'll tell you the game was utter shit even for those in the target market.

I'd love to see the guy who did the Fred Leuchter documentary do one for McQuaid.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Fire Giant

Vanguard was an amazing game. Fuck Japan and all you naysayers.
Abomination Snowman - 60 Grave Lord
Proud owner of Innoruuk's Curse that did NOT come from TMO's bank or RMT.
Niluvien Forestwalker - 52 Ranger
Russled Jimmies - 54 Wizard
Old 11-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Kobold

I loved VG but I hated the fact that it was released a year too early and how that killed the community and I hate guild hopping everytime the guild falls apart because they all quit. The bugs and crashes killed the game.. the gameplay was amazing and was immensely fun.