Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Sarnak

Default Just built sweet gaming computer... having to sell it for college :( need advice

I just found out I'm gonna have to take a few classes over summer since I'm doing my internship next semester. The shitty part is that financial aid doesn't cover summer classes and they're 300bucks a credit hour($900 a class). So I'm selling my computer I just built. here are the specs. It cost me $1300 to build it 2 months ago. I'm curious if anyone has done this before and what the best way(craigslist, ebay, etc) to sell it is and at what price. It's in perfect condition and barely used. Also, if anyone on here is interested in buying it... we can discuss that in private chat.
Thanks for any advice!

- COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

- ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

- XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

- CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ...

- Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

- CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C9

- SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support – OEM

- COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

$300 a credit? enjoy your community college degree bro

i wouldn't recommend selling your computer, you're gonna have lots of time to use it while you're collecting unemployment
Old 11-09-2010, 04:33 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hard Drive?

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
$300 a credit? enjoy your community college degree bro

i wouldn't recommend selling your computer, you're gonna have lots of time to use it while you're collecting unemployment
Probably state college, community colleges are much cheaper.
You Ivy League then, Japan? Upper crust?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

not upper crust. More like enslaved by debt if i flunk out.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Kobold

You like anime bro, you'll be socially golden when you enter the workforce.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Banned

Anime is better than any entertainment gaijin scum have ever invented
Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Fire Giant

Just my 2bits: Craiglist is for hagglers. Don't expect more than the 900$ for the PC if you sell it on there, but others don't buy their items on ebay because of the shipping (chance to damage PC items)

So Idk what to tell you. sorry. I would imagine Ebay would be best.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluvill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just my 2bits: Craiglist is for hagglers. Don't expect more than the 900$ for the PC if you sell it on there, but others don't buy their items on ebay because of the shipping (chance to damage PC items)

So Idk what to tell you. sorry. I would imagine Ebay would be best.
You can try eBay, but as Taluvil said, you would probably want to secure the buyer with either insurance or local pickup. Local pickup would lower your chance to find a seller. That's mainly because well, unless you live in a major city, the chances are slim someone is looking for a new gaming computer.

Craigslist is a hagglers dream, also a spammers dream too, so stay away from that if you can.

Only thing I can say is go to your grocery store and put up flyers. Maybe around your college, but I'm sure there is some way you can get school covered during summer so you can keep your school. Maybe talk to banks?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Research each manufacturer involved with the parts in the computer, for transferable warranty service. Be sure to include that in your sales pitch if it's the motherboard, video card, or CPU. (something like "Like new, x months warranty service still remaining on ___)

Looking at your parts list, this seems like a mid-level budget build on the Intel side. Break down new:

Case - $85
Motherboard - $220
Video card - $135
CPU - $280
RAM - $125
DVD burner - $23
Power supply - $106
HSF - $50
Hard drive - $70-$80?

Around $1100~ is what it would cost someone to build it today (I factored in shipping cost, on each price.) Potential buyer may not have a monitor, so they'd have to factor that into the cost of the system versus picking up a $400 special at Best Buy or Walmart that comes with a crappy TFT, and throwing in a new video card if they're tech savvy enough. You might get $700-$750 on Craigslist if it's an honest sale to someone who is in the know.

It might be better to just bundle the system with the stock cooler installed, to give the sale the illusion of never being overclocked and properly maintained under warranty. You should really be aiming at people that wouldn't know about aftermarket cooling, so you can sell it for more. Price out similar configured machines from Falcon NW, Alienware and smaller integrators like CyberPower Inc, determine an average and sell it for half of that price if you're feeling dishonest and really need the money.

edit: typical buyer, is also going to have to factor in cost of keyboard mouse, speakers, etc if they don't have a pre-existing PC
Last edited by Itchybottom; 11-09-2010 at 07:20 PM..
Closed Thread