Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 11:24 PM
Banned

You two think you are the only ones who read what I write.

Poor chaps.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You two think you are the only ones who read what I write.

Poor chaps.
Does anyone read what we write?

I fucking hope not.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:43 PM
Banned

Regarding Secrets transparent dev model:

>>
Secrets — Yesterday at 6:39 PM
Models are your preference really
I won't stop folks from editing the old skeletons in if they want those.
Secrets — Yesterday at 6:40 PM
Thanks. Though, really, I only communicate openly because this is what I'd want a developer to do for me as a player.
evil_weasel_fred — Yesterday at 6:41 PM
the fact that you're open sourcing your work is HUGE.. you're the main guy now, but you won't always have to be.. you will always be a legend
Secrets — Yesterday at 6:42 PM
There's some level of narcissism and manipulation involved too - by being the face of something, I can be more in control of decision making, and I'll own our great and poor decisions as such.

And the manipulative bit is just... I know how people work, and I know they appreciate being talked to like humans instead of talked down on like idiots. So they're more inclined to listen to me or my ideas / opinions if I act in their interests and not belittle them.
Vegeta — Yesterday at 6:43 PM
secrets for prez
Secrets — Yesterday at 6:44 PM
It's an eye for an eye style philosophy, but that doesn't mean it has to apply to just taking someone's eye in return for misdeeds. It can also apply to people feeling comfortable and in return, I'd return with comforting feeling. In a way, it's cultish, but I'm also trying to make sure I'm unbiased in that process, too.
Meaning, I'd likely treat my friends who cheat here the same way I'd treat total strangers - because of the action, not the person
evil_weasel_fred — Yesterday at 6:45 PM
two things: 1 everyone thinks they're right and 2 you can't make everyone happy.. based on the interview you gave to Octavian, i want to be a belieber.. much love and wonderful nights of rest to you Secrets
Secrets — Yesterday at 6:45 PM
Thanks. Though it's easier to talk about philosophy than it is to act on it in practice.
So, I anticipate once the veil drops and people reveal their true actions or intents after they play, we may end up with some people hating me like they do other server administrations
evil_weasel_fred — Yesterday at 6:47 PM
For my part of "everyone thinks they're right".. i just want to see the server wiped every 5 or 6 years.. this ensures everything is above board.. it chops the balls off RMT.. but its your ball game.. fingers crossed
>>

There is no benefit Secrets has given me for telling the p99 community I am looking forward to Project Quarm.
Old 09-17-2023, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no benefit Secrets has given me for telling the p99 community I am looking forward to Project Quarm.
He does it for free
Old 09-17-2023, 12:08 AM
Planar Protector

quarm sounded great at first but now that it's a copy and paste clone of p99 w/ takp database it's just:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-17-2023, 12:10 AM
Banned

What do Gen Z kids say? " Hit that like button ! " /s
Old 09-17-2023, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
quarm sounded great at first but now that it's a copy and paste clone of p99 w/ takp database it's just:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still think p99 has the better database but TAKP has better combat.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:54 PM
Banned

Good luck to you Trex and Assenseiter on any projects you ever give a go at getting off the ground. No man is an island. Even cynics. Who knows you might even appreciate the support of someone who likes what you're doing someday.

The fact that Secrets is putting in hours of time into creating a new EQ old school classic server is commendable. Getting caught up in the minute details is only an indication that you find the project intriguing in one way or another. I predict you both will play there.

Enjoy p99 and TAKP in the meantime. Devs at both places have really out done themselves.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:27 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashentco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It isn't just to hold back content.. it's just that the eras are followed on a progression project like this.
I understand the progression concept. P99 blue finished it's progression 8 and a half years ago. I would wager that a large portion of those playing now started playing after the progression had already ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashentco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You want Vah Shir to be coded to start in Qeynos or something? Iksar to pop out of Grobb just because?
No. It's not about what I want. It was a discussion on releasing all content at once instead of waiting until 2026 for the release of PoP.

Quote:
I personally don't think that would bother me that much, but it is completely silly. I do know that Maze made a project a few years ago where Kunark was going to come out in 3 months or whatever, so no one wanted to reroll immediately so he allowed Iksar to come out of Grobb and it worked out fine, I don't think anyone minded that much. But it's just part of classic eq, these races didn't exist yet.
I wasn't advocating for changing any of the content.

Quote:
It's even more complicated talking about Beastlords. There's no spell vendors or anything set up for that, not to mention balance. They come out in Luclin, you gotta wait.
Right. And my question basically was: What is gained by arbitrarily holding back content vs just releasing it all?
Old 09-17-2023, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

If it's all about what YOU want, why don't you just go single box on TAKP? You can go experience every expansion though PoP right now. Nothing stopping you at all. This goes for Trexller, as well. TAKP has a great community and is very welcoming to new players. If you want to play through Luclin/PoP content now, just go play TAKP. Quarm is not going to release with all expansions enabled, there's no point even discussing it. You can either accept that Secrets has a different vision of ideal progression than yours and play anyway, or you can choose to play somewhere else. But expecting the box to cater to your individual opinions on content is both juvenile and asinine.

Most EQ players don't want to jump into a server that has all expansions enabled, it's as simple as that. If you do, well, okay, that's your opinion. But it's one that most players don't share, so you shouldn't expect that your view will be widely supported, especially by devs who are putting in a ton of unpaid, volunteer work to get a successful server up and running.
Closed Thread