Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

is it really eq tho without legacy items? they almost go hand in hand at this point
trying to obtain one of the legacy items before they stop dropping is part of the new server thrill

if I were playing and someone told me manastones or guises didnt exist on the server i'd probably control +s into control +x because this server is apparently not playing real everquest

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 08-31-2023, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is that everyone wants these items, because they are objectively powerful, and so will try to obtain them if they are available.
Everyone? So many assumptions here. Incredibly uncompelling way to look at things. With solutions to imagined problems that look like you are considering a different custom server altogether and not what Secrets has in mind.

First off assuming PQ's population will be like Green's is probably more of a goal than a given. PQ would be very happy if that happens. The odds are it won't be THAT successful. At first anyhow. Over time who knows.

If you as a human want to avoid the 'disruption of camping highly desirable items' as you called it. You can literally avoid those camps. This is a choice as single human with his own decision making capacity (in theory anyhow) that you can make. Why create rules for others on a camp that you don't like participating in. Literally pretend they don't exist it won't change the way you play the game.

I'll call BS on the fact that these items are that great in the long run on a PoP server.
It's mostly epeen in the long run. Eventually adults outgrow caring about epeen.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone? So many assumptions here. Incredibly uncompelling way to look at things. With solutions to imagined problems that look like you are considering a different custom server altogether and not what Secrets has in mind.
Yes, everyone. What is so controversial about that statement? Everyone who plays EQ on a new server would WANT a Manastone/Guise. The only question is do they want one badly enough to go to the trouble of navigating through the gauntlet of toxicity to obtain one, often at the cost of their health (both mental and physical) or by breaking server rules. And obviously, what Secrets decides to do is up to him. I'm just offering my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First off assuming PQ's population will be like Green's is probably more of a goal than a given. PQ would be very happy if that happens. The odds are it won't be THAT successful. At first anyhow. Over time who knows.
This is true. A relatively low starting population would go a long way toward reducing the innate toxicity of limited legacy item availability. Hard to say what Quarm's starting pop will be, although realistically it will probably (hopefully, honestly) be much lower than Green's.

Quote:
If you as a human want to avoid the 'disruption of camping highly desirable items' as you called it. You can literally avoid those camps. This is a choice as single human with his own decision making capacity (in theory anyhow) that you can make. Why create rules for others on a camp that you don't like participating in. Literally pretend they don't exist it won't change the way you play the game.
This is also true, but I'm not thinking about how to maximize my personal enjoyment (or yours, for the matter, or any individual player's) by offering this suggestion, I'm thinking about what's best for the overall playerbase, devs and GMs.

Quote:
I'll call BS on the fact that these items are that great in the long run on a PoP server.
It's mostly epeen in the long run. Eventually adults outgrow caring about epeen.
If they're ultimately useless, why have them in-game in the first place? And surely you've been around here long enough to know that a certain sort of player never outgrows the desire to show off their e-peen. And these are the exactly the sort who go out of their way to turn legacy item camps into toxic shitholes, creating a terrible server environment and demanding an inordinate amount of GM resources.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If they're ultimately useless, why have them in-game in the first place? And surely you've been around here long enough to know that a certain sort of player never outgrows the desire to show off their e-peen. And these are the exactly the sort who go out of their way to turn legacy item camps into toxic shitholes, creating a terrible server environment and demanding an inordinate amount of GM resources.
So the reason they are in is because its a progression server. Old school EQ players like them. But ya by the end of server life none will be that useful with the exception of Box of Abu-kar. Each expansion has similar legacy item situations. Like pre-nerf Fungi staff in Kunark. I like that Quarm will have these items in for a short time-limited manner similar to how Live did back in the day.

Here is how classic legacy items go obsolete:

In PoP Enchanters get Project Illusion makes Guise obsolete.

Manastone's usefulness diminishes with each passing expansion and by the time Luclin and PoP drop you are almost never in the old world except for Epics maybe. They aren't nearly as useful as anyone claims. Trust me displaying them is to artificially inflate the price to sell them.

Rubicite is simply fashion but really struggles to be anything but that after Classic and maybe Kunark.

Jboots goes from very overcrowded dungeon camp to overcrowded oot camp. But by the time AAs come out Run 3 makes jboots obsolete.

Lastly I am mostly unconcerned about folks that cant stop display their epeen. If it gets too bad there is always the ignore function. Usually though it's not too different from that guy on your block that spends extra time on the weekend detailing his Tesla on his front driveway for all the neighborhood to see. As in some folks like to brag or humble brag based on their perceived successes. Why? Who know validation from the community I suppose.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:17 PM
Kobold

I'm totally cool being that player that never cared about manastones or guises. Just wasn't my thing. I haven't been able to play for more than 2 hours straight in nearly a decade with family, work, and hobbies, so my opinion on the matter is irrelevant, but I will say making all those items no drop would do a lot to solve the issues around the toxicity. If people can't make plat/RMT off them, I doubt they'll care as much.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:19 PM
Planar Protector

yeah make mana stone and beads no-drop
Old 09-01-2023, 03:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Re: the client.

p1999 client = Titanium + mods
PQ client = TAKP client + mods = EQMac client updated + mods

This should temper everyone's expectations regarding initial Project Quarm population. For many the PQ client will be a downgrade from the experience of what p99 currently offers although it would be an upgrade from what live was at the time classic released.

P99 Titanium client is really something special. Folks love it despite its non-classicness. Devs done a great job with it modifying it to 'feel right' and in era. Possibly one of p1999's best open secret weapons. You won't find code for p99's client on github like you can with TAKP.
You're fooling urself if u think titanium and p99 feels in era and classic.

They got a lot of little things right here. They got oh so many absolutely wrong and in glaringly bad ways.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:48 AM
Banned

Don't be silly.

P99 has shifted everyone's expectation of 'classic.' People want the Titanium client because it is better than what folks had back during live not because it is accurate. Mousewheel was not in era for Velious and wasn't even for PoP for that matter. That and other Titanium client QoL def was not in era. Folks would probably like TAKP way better if they wanted an in era client.

So ya it's about 'feel'. Folks here prefer the feel of Titanium client rather than an era accurate client. And p99 devs got the 'feel' right to such an extent that Old school EQ players prefer the way p99 client does classic rather than to how live actually was.

P99 evolved the player bases expectation of what classic is.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

mouse wheel not classic
Old 09-01-2023, 01:05 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yeah, just wanted to add another "thank you" to Secrets for doing this project. I don't mean to be a downer with the mouselook/third person latency issues. I hope it is something you can resolve because I see it as a very limiting factor for players esp those migrating from P99. For me it was an eyestrain issue. I hope you can get as many of them as possible to start a great community.
Closed Thread