Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Fire Giant

I don't see where there's much else to talk about.

You can't force people to respect the game "as it was" and not use Vent.

If you don't want to use Vent, don't join a guild that requires Vent.

There isn't any content that's too difficult or complex to be accomplished without Vent, so if your guild doesn't want to use Vent... don't use Vent.

Oh, and if your guild wants to use Vent for whatever reason... use Vent.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:38 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitVelvetSmooth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ventrilo/teamspeak = not classic.

fikze'd
Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 AM
Sarnak

deaf people have no souls
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Send a message via AIM to zenoo

I learned how to type fast because I felt it gave me an advantage in video games. There is no message so complex in EQ that can't be typed in like 3 seconds. I see vent as a way for people who like to hear themselves talk force an audience, but hey, raid leaders rules if you wanna raid.

Not sure how this became an ethics debate about how to treat deaf players.
Zenoo-65 Enchanter (POP)
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We typed when i played.... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used a rock, sharp bone and a piece of slate
Old 01-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Fire Giant

I am not a fan of ventrilo personally for large groups of people. It's neat when hanging out with 3-4 friends and you want to bullshit. But even then I am typically listening to music and will type responses to what's said in ventrilo rather than use my mic. It's also less obtrusive when doing things that need constant keyboard input, like tanking, healing, mezzing, playing a bard. It's not so bad in Everquest since gameplay is like a snail's pace compared to newer games but being able to just speak rather than having to click buttons you'd normally get with a hotkey because you are typing is still a bonus.

As far as raiding goes, I am of the opinion that typed out strats and/or instructions are superior for the initial engagement. Once typed they can easily be reviewed, if people miss what is said over ventrilo, they can't just scroll back up to read it. During the actual fights however obviously being able to yell "You are going to DPS very very slowly. Now! And by slowly I mean FUCKING SLOW!" rather than trying to type it out is helpful and more efficient. *shrug*

tl;dr - Vent = lame but a bonus for on the fly changes!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no message so complex in EQ that can't be typed in like 3 seconds.
3 seconds in classic EQ is also known as a BATU (Bard AFK Time Unit).
Old 01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're right, we all used Roger Wilco back in the day.
Lol I remember good ole Roger wilco. My bro and I set up our own server for it on our linux box. We also had the band new 1mbps cable modem service which we used the same linux box to make a router to share the internet access on our home LAN. This was before you could walk into a bestbuy and buy a router that was plug n play. Also comcast frowned upon sharing the internet connection between multiple computers at the time...ahh the good ole days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeatee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its kind of sad that people have forgotten how to raid with out vent, my guild did just fine w/o vent back in the day, and I would imagine most guilds would do just fine now w/o vent if they weren't too lazy to try.
True, actually most raid leaders would set up hot keys with scripts to explain to the guild the chain of events via guildchat or some other chat channel. They also hotkeyed scripts to call for more DPS or Heals to MT etc. It IS infact very possible to raid without the use of voip systems. It just takes a bit more coordination is all.
Closed Thread