Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 12-21-2023, 04:45 AM
Planar Protector

Now he just Home Alone. Great XMas movie.
OR.
That's what you get for being nice to your sister.
OR.
God had a better plan for the sister.
It did not involve her riding a bike though.

Homesteading Indeed! Solar panels/Batteries not included. Survival training optional Extra.
Clown suit included.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i mean he was so immersed he was literally sending PMs about politics and other posters [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i know i got one too lmao
Old 12-21-2023, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpathEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh the irony of all the political talk in a thread about homesteading...the most un-politically related thread there could be. I guess people are really on a mission to take threads in the off topic section...off topic.

Watched a few youtube videos last night from one of those camping/outdoors type channels. Guy had an inflatable tent (was really a tiny home) with full blow windows, doors, and skylights and had a portable wood stove he setup in there with a vent hole for the chimney to vent the smoke outside. What a great setup to just pop up his own homestead anywhere he goes.

I plan on getting to a place where I have a home completely self sustaining and off grid. Its really more attainable then ever without giving up any comforts. Lots of solutions for solar electricity, starlink is taking care of an internet everywhere solution (because what's the point of being off grid if you can't get some sweat in your beard), rain catchment gutters and storage tanks seems pretty straight forward although have some things to learn about long term storage and water treatment for safe consumption. Seems like sewage is the hardest thing, or atleast the one I know the least about if you want something that mirrors city plumbing without some extensive waste treatment setup.

From there just get really good at gardening and you're pretty well set up. Personally not really a hunter/fisher so will need to put some thought into protein if I don't want to become a vegetarian.
I have recently been exploring camping and narrowboating channels. I'm amazed at how small and portable 12V solar panels are!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-21-2023, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have recently been exploring camping and narrowboating channels. I'm amazed at how small and portable 12V solar panels are!
I enjoyed CruisingTheCut.

-Mcoy
Last edited by mcoy; 12-21-2023 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: added link
Old 12-21-2023, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I enjoyed CruisingTheCut.

-Mcoy
Thats a good one! I think it is even on Prime? The Mindful Narrowboat just showed up on my feed, seems promising.

This guy makes his on survival shelters mainly, but has a couple of cool vehicle camper builds too.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-21-2023, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thats a good one! I think it is even on Prime? ]
Think it's just the youtube channel. The algorithm sent it my way a while back and I watched most of them. For the first 100 vids or so he's working on his own boat, but then he started visiting others' boats and doing more journalistic stuff or whatever.

-Mcoy
Old 12-21-2023, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you or are you not, by investing in solar and batteries paying now for your future power needs?
Also.
If someone sees you wiff ya fancy pants setup (assuming the shit has truely hit da fan. End Of Days Stuff) ya think they aint gonna "come get some" from the haves?
Just askin questions here.
The first enquirer may eat a bullet. The next 15 may as well. But eventually, one of yas are gonna eat one. In ya lil bubble.
Anywho.
You know nuffin. About ya laughy target.
Maybe im homeless. Maybe im just a normie.
Maybe im self suffient enough for my needs.
Do you know?
Homesteaded i deed!
I get it, it's very tempting to simplify things. Your scenario is certainly a factor, my goal and others who are interested in these things isn't to be entirely self-sufficient. Much like EQ, grouping up is the best way to bolster your odds at survival.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i know i got one too lmao
As did I.

He told me I was too happy about bans.

Primarily the term i used like good riddance.

Perhaps it is time focus on more posts about EQ. I know you have a number of posts giving advice about EQ.

I hear good things about geothermal for colder areas of the nation.

Even read some awesome information about fungus in Chernobyl that thrives in radiation.
Last edited by Botten; 12-21-2023 at 05:00 PM..
Old 12-21-2023, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As did I.

...Uva stuff i dont care about...

I hear good things about geothermal for colder areas of the nation.

Even read some awesome information about fungus in Chernobyl that thrives in radiation.
An environmental scientist at work looked into geothermal as a power source for a New Zealand arm of our company (that i work for, not own).
The problem it appears is not the efficiency or power output its issues with the barrier between the earth part and the powerplant part. Incompatibilities between the thresholds. Now im no scientist but he made it sound like it was a NZ local issue, like the type of rocks/material at the interface.

Other countries like Norwegia (hilarious) and Sweden seem to have better results.

Also atomic 'shrooms. Harvesting may be a problem though. I wonder if the fungus carries any of the radiation in it or if it filters it out. That'd be interesting.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:45 AM
Planar Protector

mods that post was a masterpiece of THC-fueled surrealistic noir shitposting and you know it

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Lune; 12-22-2023 at 12:49 AM..