Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Like I keep saying, I know that people charmed in classic! I'm not saying "let's disable charming here"!

But ... charming was harder/riskier on live. As someone who did a lot of it on live, surely you recognize that fact? Or have the rose-tinted glasses of 20 years make you forget all the challenges of it ... or the fact that you had to duo with someone to make it safe (whereas both Druids and Enchanters solo charm with ease here)?
People have already been over this. The primary reasons charming may have been riskier on live in the classic era are pretty simple: (i) technology and internet connection...things were so laggy back then, you had such long latencies at times that a charm break could easily kill you because it would take you so long to react and get it under control (unlike today where latency is minimal, there's zero lag, and you can instantly stun lock it etc.), (ii) using clickies to eliminate the GCD such that you can chain cast your spells upon charm break (people just didn't really do this back then), and (iii) channeling on P99 is easier than on live but this is a client issue IIRC and not really fixable by P99 (and doesn't just affect Enchanters).

Charm also broke more frequently at times because people simply didn't have the min/maxed strategy down. For example, the amount of Enchanters I met back in the day who didn't think the Tash line was a worthwhile spell except for very high level group content or if you had a much lower level caster in your group. So many people also had no idea that level difference was the biggest saving roll for charm and so they'd go and try and charm mobs like equal to or one level below them; I remember being in groups where the group wanted the Ench to charm the highest level mob possible. So it's not that charm was unreliable, it's that a combo of lack of min/max strategy knowledge and tech issues made it less popular on certain servers during the initial months and years of classic. In my experience, by the time we were into Velious charming was a pretty frequent tactic for soloing (I remember as CSR dealing with a lot of petitions of people complaining about Enchanters burning through mobs in zones via charm soloing and people were getting annoyed about having fewer mobs left for them).

As the other commenter mentioned, outside of the channeling differences charm is just like anything else on this server that doesn't replicate the classic experience: it's that way because we've had 20 years to perfect the technique (plus better internet and computers as I mentioned lol). There's so many things people never did or barely did in classic that are the meta on P99; if you're willing to say all of those things should be prevented then sure we can make up some nerfs to charm too.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:18 PM
Kobold

I remember on live having an enchanter alt and not really being able to solo charm because it would break and you would lose so much mana you would have to zone. So I would join a group and be master of CC instead. It was a lot of fun. Never rolled an enchanter on green but I'm pretty sure it's a lot easier to charm. Internet connection doesn't really have anything to do with it. When kunark and velious were being released we were getting cable internet that was really fast. Everyone here wants to talk smack about someone stating opinions. Okay how about YOU go look up the code to a 20 year old game that doesn't exist. If it did we'd all be referencing that information so thanks for your 2 cents forum scum.

On a side note my level 49 shaman pet hits for 51. RIP mage bot armies
Last edited by Toothed; 06-15-2021 at 05:21 PM..
Old 06-15-2021, 07:07 PM
Aviak

Most thing were harder on live, rooting, sharing, stuning, channeling.
This is an emulated server, bound to not be perfect.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember on live having an enchanter alt and not really being able to solo charm because it would break and you would lose so much mana you would have to zone. So I would join a group and be master of CC instead. It was a lot of fun. Never rolled an enchanter on green but I'm pretty sure it's a lot easier to charm. Internet connection doesn't really have anything to do with it. When kunark and velious were being released we were getting cable internet that was really fast. Everyone here wants to talk smack about someone stating opinions. Okay how about YOU go look up the code to a 20 year old game that doesn't exist. If it did we'd all be referencing that information so thanks for your 2 cents forum scum.

On a side note my level 49 shaman pet hits for 51. RIP mage bot armies
Except I’m not arguing for P99 to change anything so I don’t have to look up evidence to back what I want changed
Old 06-15-2021, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except I’m not arguing for P99 to change anything so I don’t have to look up evidence to back what I want changed
That's the important bit. Someone wants it changed badly enough, he'll have to find "smoking gun" proof. I don't agree with your own opinion on the subject and I regard charm as much more reliable on P99 than it was in the original game--but ultimately I don't care enough to spend the time trying to find "proof."

Danth
Old 06-15-2021, 09:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's the important bit. Someone wants it changed badly enough, he'll have to find "smoking gun" proof. I don't agree with your own opinion on the subject and I regard charm as much more reliable on P99 than it was in the original game--but ultimately I don't care enough to spend the time trying to find "proof."

Danth
Some people spend more time looking for “proof” instead of just enjoying what we have.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:26 AM
Kobold

I mean it's kind of bullshit that necros and chanters on here are fucking one man armies but it is what it is. I'll have torpor one day and then...oh wait it costs 90k plat nvm...
Old 06-16-2021, 03:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people spend more time looking for “proof” instead of just enjoying what we have.
Looking for evidence for how eq was so we can reconstruct it is literally the entire point of the server. Actually playing the game, levelling toons and so on is just an entertaining sideshow.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:37 AM
Kobold

Show me proof aliens don't exist. You can't? Guess they exist then. You guys been learning how to debate from Neil De'grASS tryson?
Old 06-16-2021, 04:41 AM
Kobold

Here is the video evidence Neil, pentagon says they are real...
"But what do the sensors really see? Who programmed them? Let's see the logs because a kooky fucking scientist probably had something to do with it. Probably a 20 year old bug in the system. Aww shucks we suck again.
Closed Thread