Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 10:00 AM
Fire Giant

Takes about 15min for any level 20. Try both, see which is better (ogre). Good luck noob
Old 02-01-2021, 10:25 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A player who's unsure of himself will pick ogre and routinely think it saves him. It doesn't, really, but he'll convince himself it does. It will go un-noticed that non-ogre members of those classes do all the same stuff, shamans all solo the same things, etc.

The ogre racial bonus is important to folks who hate being bashed* or who lack self confidence and need to feel like they picked the "best." Otherwise the racial is effectively fluff. The effect of bashes on warrior threat generation has been tested. In actuality the ogre warrior gains something like a two per cent threat advantage over a different race. Whoop-de-doo. For a shaman it's a nice enough racial if you solo a lot but becomes entirely worthless as soon as the player isn't being hit. By far the ogre's largest advantage is the confidence boost it provides to timid players.

*There are players--they know who they are--who HATE being bashed or interrupted by bashes. Such folks can hardly tolerate playing anything else. In their specific case the ogre racial is extremely noticeable in terms of increasing their fun factor.

Danth
Do you have any source for this? Would love to read up on how the testing was done and look at the numbers. Just my feeling, but I believe non-ogre tanks are stunned more than 2% of the fight? Also when you are stunned you cannot proc defensive skills like Parry, Riposte, etc.

Blue: Tejin Tatsumaki (retired)
56 Dark Elf Magician ('09-'11)

Live: Azen Darkwood (retired)
65 Wood Elf Ranger ('00-'05)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Code:
[Thu Jan 14 21:54:28 2021] You are stunned!
[Thu Jan 14 21:54:28 2021] A greater skeleton bashes YOU for 2 points of damage.
[Thu Jan 14 21:54:29 2021] A greater skeleton tries to hit YOU, but YOU parry!
[Thu Jan 14 21:54:30 2021] You are unstunned.
Code:
[Thu Jan 14 07:54:40 2021] A large skeleton tries to hit YOU, but YOU dodge!
[Thu Jan 14 07:54:40 2021] You can't attack while stunned!
[Thu Jan 14 07:54:42 2021] You try to slash an ogre guard, but an ogre guard parries!
[Thu Jan 14 07:54:42 2021] You are unstunned.
Found a parry and a dodge before becoming unstunned in my logs.

Note there is possible client/server or message sequencing issues here, so I wouldn't take it as 100% gospel (e.g. the bottom box shows an attack being made by the player before a stun fades, though at the same timestamp).
Old 02-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Sarnak

I don't like how the camera sits so high up when you play an ogre.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:04 PM
Sarnak

It only matters a lot for SKs and for shamans who intend to do a lot of facetank-soloing. For warriors and for shamans who mostly group or root-rot, it's fairly negligible.

Bash used to just be a 100% chance to stun and that was it, meaning ogres absolutely never got interrupted by a bash from the front. This was changed at one point and now it has a number of different possible outcomes, including guaranteed interrupts regardless of whether or not you get stunned. This has made FSI worth somewhat less. I don't know what the exact chances are, but I'd venture to guess that it's something like this:

5% chance to do nothing except damage
10% chance to interrupt without stunning (ogres will get interrupted too)
20% chance to interrupt and stun (ogres will get interrupted too)
65% chance to stun, no forced interrupt (non-ogres still get interrupted by the stun)

Going by those estimated numbers, non-ogres have a 95% chance to be interrupted by bash, either from getting stunned or from the separate forced interrupt that bash can do, while ogres have a 30% chance to get interrupted. They're only immune to frontal stun, not to the chance for bash to interrupt regardless of whether or not a stun happens.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Banned

It only matters in edge cases were that raid burn can't wait 45 more seconds.

Yeah its noticeable, nice I'm sure. Maybe even beneficial if you want to play risky. Or try to make up for gear ya won't bother with. Or competitively. But it doesn't matter if an ogre or a half elf tanks vulak rly.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride the spiral [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you have any source for this?
Trials have been run and posted on this forum and others over the years. It doesn't matter enough to me to look it up.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trials have been run and posted on this forum and others over the years. It doesn't matter enough to me to look it up.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

If it was logged on slowed mobs it wouldn't be surprising at all. On average you are going to get stunned less than once a minute, and even when you do get stunned there is decent chance it has negligible impact on any potential dps/hate. Stuns don't reset the swing timer and the timer continues through the stun so the only time you lose out on DPS is when you are stunned in a very specific spot in your attack cycle, and procs are based off time in melee not swing rate. Hell, now that I think about it on slowed mobs I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 1% hate difference.

And I haven't checked on p99 but I'm pretty sure you should still be able to use defensive abilities like parry when stunned. That sounds like some WoW bullshit.
Last edited by DMN; 02-01-2021 at 04:19 PM..
Old 02-01-2021, 04:51 PM
Fire Giant

I think it's hilarious people still argue this, OGRE is the undisputed champ. Whoever says otherwise is in denial lol.
Closed Thread