Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 12-21-2022, 04:49 PM
Large Rat

Default How do placeholders work?

Noob question here.

I understand that named mob's often have placeholders that spawn in their place. If I'm camping one of these, do I need to continuously kill the placeholder for the best chance to spawn the named mob? Or will the named just spawn over the placeholder when it's time?

Wiki on placeholders could use an update on this: https://wiki.project1999.com/Placeholder
Old 12-21-2022, 05:29 PM
Kobold

For 99% of named camps, kill the placeholder as soon as it pops. The named and the placeholder are not on independent respawn timers. They're on a single timer. When the respawn timer is up, a dice is rolled and if you get lucky then the named spawns. Otherwise, you get the placeholder.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikaru [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Noob question here.

I understand that named mob's often have placeholders that spawn in their place. If I'm camping one of these, do I need to continuously kill the placeholder for the best chance to spawn the named mob? Or will the named just spawn over the placeholder when it's time?
It's basically like a slot in EQ: imagine on the ground, wherever they spawn, there's a circle that says "home of the named or the PH". Nothing appears in that circle if there's already something there, so you won't get a new named OR a PH unless you kill the last named/PH.

Each time a mob does spawn there, there is a chance (usually a much lower one for the named) that either one will spawn ... X minutes after the last named/PH dies (where X is the respawn time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikaru [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wiki on placeholders could use an update on this: https://wiki.project1999.com/Placeholder
Seems like something you'd be perfect for [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] And if you play on Blue, you could even earn a reward for doing it (see my signature).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:47 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for the explanation, loramin and Ralexia. I've updated the wiki to reflect this.
I play on Green so no worries about the reward, just happy to help future noobs like myself.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralexia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For 99% of named camps...
Are there certain named camps that have different behaviors?
Old 12-21-2022, 07:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, loramin and Ralexia. I've updated the wiki to reflect this.
I play on Green so no worries about the reward, just happy to help future noobs like myself.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Off the top of my head I can think of two

1. Ancient croc in guk. Each spawn you either get Ancient croc, or a variable number of lower level crocs. In order to trigger the count down for the next spawn you need to kill all of the mobs that spawned.

2. Raster of Guk in lower guk. This is pretty weird, but there are details on the wiki https://wiki.project1999.com/Raster_of_Guk
Old 12-21-2022, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Oh you sweet summer child [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Some are just a little more complex: for instance, some camps have a chance of two differed PHs or two different nameds, so you can get one of three mobs appearing.

But some get crazy complex. Quillmane is one common example, but I'm currently experiencing the hell of the Magician epic, which requires Magi Pasta (Magi P'tasa), a Hate mini.

The Magi shares ten different spawn points with a nine other nameds ... plus some non-nameds. Oh, and did I mention that every one of those spawns has a respawn time that varies by a day, so if you kill one it's replacement might show up between 2.5-3.5 days?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.