Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Orc

Default How is XP received calculated?

Seem to run into this question a lot and everyone has a different take on it; seems like everyone is adamant they have the right answer. I'm curious how exactly group xp differs from solo xp. More specifically, how hybrids and pet classes effect group xp, and how pets effect solo xp. Here are some of the answers I have gotten or heard from others:

Examples of what I've heard:

SOLO

Non pet classes receive 100% of the xp from a given mob. (duh)

Pet Classes must do 1pt of dmg to gain 99% of the xp from the mob, and the pet will only take 1% of the xp. If said pet class fails to provide 1pt of dmg, pet eats entire xp, 99% of the xp, 75% of the xp, [insert figure with percentage here] xp, and pet class receives 1% of the xp, 25% of the xp, [insert figure with percentage here] xp, etc.

What does a pet class gain in terms of percentage of xp from the mob when it deals at least 1pt of dmg?

What does an enc/bard/charm class receive in terms of percentage of xp when a mob is actively charmed and has dealt dmg to the xp target of said class?

GROUP

When in a group with no hybrids each member of the group receives an exact portion of the xp (4 members in group, xp is divided by 1/4th and given to each of the players, etc).

When in a full group, members receive 1/6th of xp from mob and an additional amount of xp - thusly a "Full Group Bonus".

When hybrids or other class/race combos that have xp penalties are present in group, xp portion received by each member is less, or that hybrid/troll/what-have-you "soaks up" more of the xp, effectively denying others of said xp compared to if there wasn't any hybrids/trolls/what-have-yous.

When charming, charm mobs soak up 40% of xp from entire group. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What is the formula for which to decipher how much xp each group member will receive in a given setup (clr, enc, war, rog, rog, rog vs. clr, brd, sk, rng, monk, wiz, etc.)? How do pets effect this formula? Furthermore, how do charmed mobs effect this formula?
-------

Upon a lazy google search I came across the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://strategywiki.org/wiki/EverQuest/Frequently_Asked_Questions
Experience calculation

In order to calculate the experience gain a four step formula must be followed:

1. Calculate group bonus based on the number of PCs in your group

For N= 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
GB= 1.0 | 1.2 | 1.4 | 1.6 | 1.8 | 2.16

2. HCB = 1; if ML < 55 or PL < 50 or PL-ML > 5
HCB = 1.95 + ((ML - (PL-5)) × .13); otherwise.
3. B = ML × ML × ZEM × GB
4. XP = B × (PL + 5) / (S + (N × 5)) × HCB

Where:

ZEM = Zone Experience Modifier
ML = Mob Level
GB = Group Bonus (1)
HCB = High Con Bonus (2)
N = number of players in group
S = sum of levels in group
PL = player level
B = Base mob xp (3)
XP = EXP awarded to player (4)
If you look at the website that I quoted from you can see some of the information is incorrect according to classic, as it was updated to match the patching of atleast 2007 (I can't even think of what expansion this could be [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]). This leads me to believe this formula is not how Classic EQ works.

Literally every link I click on google search gives different results on how this works.

I apologize if this is posted somewhere apparent. I did a forum search, searched the library, and of course, resorted to google - admittedly half assed. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Blue: Tejin Tatsumaki (retired)
56 Dark Elf Magician ('09-'11)

Live: Azen Darkwood (retired)
65 Wood Elf Ranger ('00-'05)
Old 05-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Sarnak

Nice writeup by Dumesh:http://wiki.project1999.org/index.ph...perience_Works
Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Kobold

Default 2 things u forgot

#1 group exp is decided by the highest level toon in the group vs your lvl
- a lvl 50 grouped with a lvl 60 makes the same 1 white tick per kill as the 60

#2 hybrid penalties are not shared
as a iksar sk i duo'd lvl 45 with a lvl 45 dwarf rogue and we were 2 blues apart and he level 6 hours before i did -hybrid shared exp is a myth, it applies to the person not the group
Old 05-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Aviak

from what i have seen you all level at the same rate so if you get 1 yellow everyone gets 1 yellow Except for when someone is on a hell lvl then the exp rates change or at least that what it looked like when i played.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Aviak

Xp recieved per kill = (your total xp / sum of groups total xp) x (total xp from kill)
Old 05-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

It would be best if people didn't think about this at all and just played the game. Being able to count exactly how many kills you need to level detracts from the immersion of the experience.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Kobold

Who cares how xp is calculated. You'll get 10 different "this is the way its done" stories from people the 100% believe its the way. Just make sure your killing dark blues or higher and get out there and have fun. Make some friends and get some levels.

Oh and xp penalty's are NOT shared! So if you had kept that in mind as to who you group with your potential friend pool just doubled. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It would be best if people didn't think about this at all and just played the game. Being able to count exactly how many kills you need to level detracts from the immersion of the experience.
Immersion?

So I'm suppose to feel immersed by sitting in the same spot for hours on end killing the same 10 monsters as they pop back into existence? Um, no.

Some people like to know the fastest way to level up so they can get to the part of the game they personally enjoy. Maybe it breaks the experience for you, but why do you care how other people play?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Sarnak

What is with people saying that XP Penalties are not shared? It is absolutely certain that they are.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitechapel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Immersion?

So I'm suppose to feel immersed by sitting in the same spot for hours on end killing the same 10 monsters as they pop back into existence? Um, no.
Well that is the inherent flaw with the way the game is designed in many areas and why I completely believe in improving the game. There should be danger and unpredictability almost anywhere you go, if it isn't significantly lower level content than your character is at.