Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 01-28-2023, 05:04 AM
Kobold

Default 41 SK Aggro

Hey!

I played an SK on Blue a long time ago and Disease Cloud worked amazing for aggro. Now, I heard there was a aggro patch and now SK's can't get aggro no more?

Am I just missed something or is this true?

What are the new ways I should get aggro?
Old 01-28-2023, 06:49 AM
Sarnak

Just hope the patch will get reverted. There is nothing you can do other than use higher level spells/snares without spell haste or hybrid haste that was introduced in PoP. i hear 4 rogues 1 cleric 1 chanter is the new meta
Old 01-28-2023, 08:26 AM
Fire Giant

Disease Cloud was always way too effective for getting aggro, but I think instead of reverting it they need to adjust taunt. I think taunt is supposed to be more effective than it currently is.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:06 AM
Planar Protector

High level we've been using clinging darkness, shadow vortex, and also shroud of hate if more is needed. Adjust for your level. Downrank your snare as needed for mana/cast time. At 41 unfortunately you might have mana issues with using SV unless twinked or mana regen buffed.

Taunt does what its always done since the classic days, it doesn't generate hate/aggro and isn't supposed to, it has a chance to put you at the top of the list +1, if you are already top aggro it does nothing. Its not for spamming to generate stacking aggro values.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:28 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
High level we've been using clinging darkness, shadow vortex, and also shroud of hate if more is needed. Adjust for your level. Downrank your snare as needed for mana/cast time. At 41 unfortunately you might have mana issues with using SV unless twinked or mana regen buffed.

Taunt does what its always done since the classic days, it doesn't generate hate/aggro and isn't supposed to, it has a chance to put you at the top of the list +1, if you are already top aggro it does nothing. Its not for spamming to generate stacking aggro values.
Do any specific weapons types help , procs and 1 handers over 2 handers? Does pulling make a huge difference?
Last edited by TRiCiDE; 01-28-2023 at 09:33 AM..
Old 01-28-2023, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

Pulling can help front load some aggro for any class in my experience. You have undead lull, snare, fd to help with it depending on level/zone too, but most groups prefer the puller not being the tank for chain pulls.

If you can score decent proc weaps then sure that would help, I just found good old atramentous shield and noct blade to be too easy and good for general budget friendly SK leveling builds.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:46 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pulling can help front load some aggro for any class in my experience. You have undead lull, snare, fd to help with it depending on level/zone too, but most groups prefer the puller not being the tank for chain pulls.

If you can score decent proc weaps then sure that would help, I just found good old atramentous shield and noct blade to be too easy and good for general budget friendly SK leveling builds.
I have the Art/Noc but I was casting disease cloud this whole time lol -- I also have a Argent Protector wonder if its better. I saw a venomous Axe for sale the other day. Think that's a good proc?
Old 01-28-2023, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

I'd not do venomous axe over them, disease cloud is your problem, its worthless now.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:03 AM
Kobold

Quote:
I'd not do venomous axe over them, disease cloud is your problem, its worthless now.
Thank you so much!
Old 01-28-2023, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coridan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Disease Cloud was always way too effective for getting aggro, but I think instead of reverting it they need to adjust taunt. I think taunt is supposed to be more effective than it currently is.
Whether or not Disease Cloud was "too" effective on P99, a lot of old comments were found indicating it should be an effective aggro generator for our full era and was nerfed shortly after Luclin launched. Its nerfing to be almost wholly worthless on P99 appears to be potentially an incorrect era change. I'd like to see what they based the change on. A thread from EQ-EMU linked in the news section detailing the specific changes suggested they might not have been sure when the disease spell aggro nerf happened. Maybe it was a guess? Maybe they have information we don't? The admins haven't said a peep about it. I'm not sure they're even aware of how drastically it changed because they don't actively play on P99. Unfortunately I don't have a good personal memory to go off. I played paladins back in original EQ.

The patch altered other classes as well. My wife's shaman generates practically no aggro now with her spells and holding aggro off it is completely trivial--easier than it was pre-patch, even having lost Disease Cloud. Straight melee classes seem to generate the highest threat now. It doesn't line up with my own memory of original EQ, but it is what it is. Maybe it's some sort of incomplete implementation, or maybe it's the future of P1999. I don't know. In the meantime, at high elvels you can do the best you can with Clinging Darkness and the various AC/ATK debuff spells. Ask your rogues and monks to use feign/evade as much as able. At low/mid levels the mana costs are too high to keep up and the class is kind of broken. Sucks but that's what the situation is for now.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 01-28-2023 at 12:55 PM..