Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 01-27-2023, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In any normal solo/group content swapping to resistance gear is enough.
(Different subject, different post)

I agree. In duo-type areas, magic resist seldom matters--only in a couple areas. Duo'ing/smallmanning charmers like Neh'Ashir is the only time I ever put on MR-type gear. Charm is the only effect that's troublesome enough I care that much about stopping it. That's why I decided not to even bother talking about the 25 MR on Greenmist above. Lower-end players hardly ever need it, and higher-end players can get their resists someplace else if they want it. Maybe a shadowknight who wants to spend a lot of time trying to solo in sebilis (all those slowing shamans) might think about it, but that's a niche of a niche play style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We are going to agree to disagree on the MR. It’s very handy especially for non/raid situations.
What do you want it for? Most stuff I don't care if I get slowed or stunned once in awhile, we can power through regardless.

Danth
Old 01-27-2023, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(Different subject, different post)

I agree. In duo-type areas, magic resist seldom matters--only in a couple areas. Duo'ing/smallmanning charmers like Neh'Ashir is the only time I ever put on MR-type gear. Charm is the only effect that's troublesome enough I care that much about stopping it. That's why I decided not to even bother talking about the 25 MR on Greenmist above. Lower-end players hardly ever need it, and higher-end players can get their resists someplace else if they want it. Maybe a shadowknight who wants to spend a lot of time trying to solo in sebilis (all those slowing shamans) might think about it, but that's a niche of a niche play style.

What do you want it for? Most stuff I don't care if I get slowed or stunned once in awhile, we can power through regardless.

Danth
Agreed.

The other thing about Axe of Resistance is you can swap to it when the mob is casting a spell. You don't have to always have it equipped. So while having a Greenmist is less work, you could still have a better DPS weapon like Frostwrath equipped, and swap to Axe of Resistance when a spell is about to land.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iksar - regen, racial AC bonus mainly good pre-tov armor, Greenmist and stone of morid. Medium race that can use Frostreaver. 20% xp penalty, only needs shrink for raiding. Very evil race. Needs a shield or epic to bash.
You forgot to mention the 2h animation. It's reaal bad. Otherwise, I'd stan Iksar.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Danth
Well in low-crew hits most the stuff that fears is resistable with a decent amount. I tank fay, ragefire, etc. Plus any gflux in The Hole or Plane of Hate. Being well over 100 helps for that.

Grind group stuff its nice not being slowed, blind, or rooted/snared. Most the non-raid hp stuff doesnt have a lot of MR. Chokidai pauldrons, imperial wardog collars, etc.

I roll around on my ranger with about 200 unbuffed MR and crap for hps though. So I favor it higher than most players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You forgot to mention the 2h animation. It's reaal bad. Otherwise, I'd stan Iksar.
1000%.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:52 PM
Aviak

Greenmist needs luclin to really shine, 18/22 isn’t that hot but 24/22 and not needing to lug around ssra bane weapons is pretty good!
Old 01-27-2023, 11:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
DSM, we are going to agree to disagree on the MR. It’s very handy especially for non/raid situations. I definitely agree I wouldn’t use a GM on raids unless maybe trash tanking.

Nice post Danth.

Quick rundown:
Ogre - “FSI”, stamina, str, blood ember. 15% xp penalty, large so needs shrink or skelly to get around even normal size places comfortably. Can slam/bash with 2h unless skelly.

Troll - regen, stamina, str, blood ember. 20% xp penalty, large so needs shrink or skelly to get around even normal size places comfortably. Can slam/bash with 2h unless skelly.

Iksar - regen, racial AC bonus mainly good pre-tov armor, Greenmist and stone of morid. Medium race that can use Frostreaver. 20% xp penalty, only needs shrink for raiding. Very evil race. Needs a shield or epic to bash.

Human/Eru/DE - blood ember, like iksar can get a 100hp rot shield in Kithicor. No xp penalty. No shrink needed for normal use. Vision issues (HUM/ERU) or ultravision (DE). DE can do reaper quest easy. Very moderate stats, high to very high intel. Erudites nor Dark Elves can use the Frostreaver (only Human). Needs a shield or epic to bash.
BUT WHO AMONGST THEM CAN WEAR DRESSES
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Some things that are completely irrelevant, but someone out there might enjoy reading:

The Ssra bane on Greenmist is pretty irrelevant. Shadowknights are generally the preferred add offtank for most Ssra fights since Paladins offer more in terms of spot healing and curse removal. This is especially the case for Emperor - the fight that needs Bane to deal damage. And if you happened to be a guild that had enough SKs where you wanted them to DPS the boss, a bane 2hander is going to significantly outperform any 1h. Fitting spells between swings becomes very important if you're looking to min/max. The Ssra bane weapons are very low effort in comparison to Seru weapons.

The main thing that I used my Greenmist for on live was the fat 25 MR from a 1hander. With ring(s) of resistance and a bard, you could get enough MR to mostly resist deadly lifetaps which opened up small group kills of Trak/VS/Nortlav at 60 (and soloable at 65).

The main drawback of Iksar is really the lack of Blood Ember. The BP is a very good click that doesn't have a replacement other than Dain Hammer. SKs also do not get a Shield of Maelin Ornate BP in PoP. The greaves are a great pulling tool.

The AC bonus and Regen bonus become pretty trivial from PoP onward where frontal stun immunity is just king.

Anyhow, Greenmist is a cool item and a cool quest. It's a good leveling 1hander and good enough if you don't have access to ToV weapons. However, I wouldn't delude myself into thinking it's worthwhile to be an iksar.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The main drawback of Iksar is really the lack of Blood Ember. The BP is a very good click that doesn't have a replacement other than Dain Hammer.
Blood Ember Breastplate's click effect is the same as the proc on Stave of Shielding, isn't it?
Old 01-28-2023, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Blood Ember Breastplate's click effect is the same as the proc on Stave of Shielding, isn't it?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The main drawback of Iksar is really the lack of Blood Ember. The BP is a very good click that doesn't have a replacement other than Dain Hammer.
Doesn't stack with focus, either way.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Doesn't stack with focus, either way.
Obv. The main draw - so to speak - of playing a knight is their toolkit for soloing and grouping relative to a warrior. It's a pretty good click for when you are doing the above without a shaman in the group.