Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 01-26-2023, 09:55 AM
Large Bat

Default Best SK Race for Questing

Hello all,

Considering rolling a fresh SK explicitly to do a ton of questing. Not all that interested in quickly leveling or really even being efficient with my time. Just want to do a casual tour of all the quests I've just out-leveled in the past. Looking to collect obscure quest gear and probably more or less avoid just EC decking myself out.

Since I'm set on SK for class I'm curious about what race people think would be best for achieving this? I assume Iksar would be a good choice as I seem to recall Cabilis having a ton of quests. Would I have a decent amount of questing to do as a Troll between Grobb/Oggok/Neriak? Or would I be better off with like a Human or Erudite due to faction etc?

Opinions appreciated.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:58 AM
Banned

Going based on feeling, I'd guess either Erudite, Dark Elf, Iksar, or Human.

Iksar has cool armor quests and Greenmist, Erudites have the weird ERU only items, Paineel stuff. Humans boil people.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:34 AM
Fire Giant

Ogre is min max cause no stun from front helps with spells.

Troll for Regen+ ability to use clickys.

Iksar has greenmist and Regen..but no fd pants (kunark armor click).

Dark elf for fashion which is really all that matters.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:42 AM
Kobold

If you want to do a LONG quest, pick Iksar for the Greenmist quest. It is close to being an epic quest. Iksars also have the Dreadforge armor questline.

I am not 100% with the other races, but I think Erudites having some form of quests. Humans likely have some questing choices, but largely based on diety.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

Troll if you mostly solo, Ogre if you prefer to group/raid.

Troll Regen on a Shadowknight specifically is going to give you way more bang for your buck when soloing over FSI. You will have a lot less downtime, and similar starting stats to an Ogre. You are going to be fear kiting a lot of the time, which means you aren't getting hit much, so FSI isn't doing a lot for you.

FSI becomes better in group/raid situations, because racial regeneration isn't very fast. You will probably have a healer, and they are going to be keeping you at safe HP levels, not your regeneration.

Iksar is generally the worst choice because you can't use Blood Ember clickies. Greenmist is not a very good weapon, and will get replaced by better ones. It's also not worth it to try and stack Epic + Greenmist. You will only get like 100 extra HP over simply procing Epic twice in a short timespan, and you will probably end up losing more HP due to losing DPS while swinging Greenmist.

EDIT: Quest-wise you can fix your faction on any race, so race isn't really a hard requirement, with the exception of Greenmist since it is Iksar only. So if doing the maximum number of quests possible is your primary goal, then maybe Iksar is the right choice. But you may regret it later if that goal changes.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-26-2023 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-26-2023, 11:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Greenmist is not a very good weapon
What?? That's a heck of a "hot take," applicable only to a small portion of the player base. Remember that not everyone has interest in raiding north wing Tempole Veeshan. Most people do not reach level 60 at all. Most those who do reach level 60 do not raid at the high-end to a particularly great extent. The folks awash in high-end items are a minority of a minority. Greenmist is one of the best weapons out there for lower- and mid-range players and is at or near the best weapon a lot of those iksar shadowknights will ever have access to, and certainly one of the few that offers meaningful self-healing.

Iksars are a good choice for someone who wants to do a lot of the game's quests because Kunark and Cabilis was generally more fleshed out than the old world. The other races, any of them can do Darkforge. Dark elves get the Thex Mallet quest; Dark elves, humans, and erudites can all double-dip the necromancer quests their respective guilds offer. Humans can start in Qeynos which is the most-developed of the old world cities with a fair amount of low-level quests. I don't recollect anything particularly inspiring from the ogre or troll areas. Their areas always felt somewhat under-developed to me compared to the others.

Danth
Old 01-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What?? That's a heck of a "hot take,"
If you're only going by damage, it's slightly better than an Ebon Mace.

But it's a cool weapon. I like it. I wouldn't call it "bad".
Old 01-26-2023, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

A Shiny Brass Halberd is not a very good weapon in this era. Dark Reavers are also pretty outdated. An Ebon Mace is fine. Greenmist is excellent. I feel like some of the folks on this board are terrified of doing Blackburrow unless they have a 1:1 ratio weapon in their hands.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What?? That's a heck of a "hot take," applicable only to a small portion of the player base. Remember that not everyone has interest in raiding north wing Tempole Veeshan. Most people do not reach level 60 at all. Most those who do reach level 60 do not raid at the high-end to a particularly great extent. The folks awash in high-end items are a minority of a minority. Greenmist is one of the best weapons out there for lower- and mid-range players and is at or near the best weapon a lot of those iksar shadowknights will ever have access to, and certainly one of the few that offers meaningful self-healing.

Iksars are a good choice for someone who wants to do a lot of the game's quests because Kunark and Cabilis was generally more fleshed out than the old world. The other races, any of them can do Darkforge. Dark elves get the Thex Mallet quest; Dark elves, humans, and erudites can all double-dip the necromancer quests their respective guilds offer. Humans can start in Qeynos which is the most-developed of the old world cities with a fair amount of low-level quests. I don't recollect anything particularly inspiring from the ogre or troll areas. Their areas always felt somewhat under-developed to me compared to the others.

Danth
Ebon Mace, Reaver, Shard of Night, and Argent Protector are all great weapons that are fairly cheap to buy. All of these weapons are easily obtainable by a casual player just farming plat by killing guards.

Greenmist really isn't very good sadly, even taking into account the proc. Having a Reaver + Blood Ember Gloves is going to be better than Greenmist.

The reason why Greenmist is a worse weapon compared to the ones I mentioned above is because you lose access to Blood Ember clickies. Those are going to help you way more than the proc from Greenmist. Shadowknights are constrained by their mana, so having a free snare clickie is huge. The ratios on all the weapons mentioned above (besides Ebon Mace) are also better than Greenmist. Ebon Mace isn't far off, its a 0.79 ratio compared to Greenmist's 0.82.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-26-2023 at 11:49 AM..
Old 01-26-2023, 11:51 AM
Kobold

So about the questing, since that looks to be what this thread is about. I would say Iksar have the MOST race specific quests for Shadow Knights. However, a lot of random quests that don't look to be race specific. Hope this helps ya out.

Here are some quests that I can think of.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Ridossan%27s_Spirit
https://wiki.project1999.com/Darkforge_Armor_Quests

Erudite:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Experienced_Courier

Dark Elf:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Thex_Mallet_Quest

Iksar:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Dreadscale_Armor
https://wiki.project1999.com/Crusader%27s_Tests