Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-12-2023, 03:13 PM
Kobold

Question You know what's funny about P99?

Verant created game mechanics which drastically slowed players down to a crawl with the intent of milking players for as long as possible with a subscription fee.

That's one of the reasons why there were so many nerfs, to protect shareholder profits.

So Verant and the players were in complete opposition; one wanted it fast and the other wanted it slow.

From the player perspective that hasn't changed; 23 years later and players are still trying to speed up the game as fast as possible.

Here's what's funny about P99.

P99 has no subscription fee yet it still has nerfs (like the 50% Mage XP penalty) to slow players down.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Mages don't have a 50% xp penalty unless you don't understand basic game mechanics and don't like to group.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:43 PM
Planar Protector

If you believe the world is completely corrupt, this is how you see the world. The opposite is possible.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mages don't have a 50% xp penalty unless you don't understand basic game mechanics and don't like to group.
I certainly don't want to group with you that's for sure. I shouldn't be punished for that, I should be rewarded for it because you're an idiot.

Mind you, it's no biggie, it's not like I'm gonna put effort into competing with idiots like you to be the best in an emulated client that's out-of-date and buggy because it's no longer supported by the company which released it back in 1999. That would be like competing with idiots like you to be the best at MS-DOS 1.x. There's got to be something worth the effort and I just don't see it.

I just thought it funny that from 1999 onwards the company had a reason to nerf players, the reason being the subscription fee but with that came updates, bug fixes and extra original content, but on an emulated server there is no subscription fee and yet players are still nerfed yet there are no upates or extra original content to make up for the nerfs.

Click button below to see rare photograph of Snaggles.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"I'm 40% faster than you at MS-DOS 1.x" - Snaggles
Last edited by Gugg; 01-12-2023 at 10:08 PM..
Old 01-12-2023, 09:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you believe the world is completely corrupt, this is how you see the world. The opposite is possible.
I see it for what it is and I know there are 2 extremes not just 1 and this ain't paradise so obviously the good stuff is yet to come. Soon (tm).

First the bad stuff, then the good stuff. It makes sense.

You're going to want time to go fast during the bad times and slow during the good times but I guess that's cheating so time is going to remain unchanged regardless and time going slow is the best way in the long-term.

If you could fall asleep during the bad times and wake up just in time for the good times to arrive it would defeat the purpose of going through the bad times because you would be lacking an important reference point an you would be getting something for nothing which is bad.
Last edited by Gugg; 01-12-2023 at 10:27 PM..
Old 01-13-2023, 02:03 AM
Planar Protector

I'm also confused by the mage comparison (since it happened the opposite way, you start with the full penalty but they lightened it up to not having it at all in 2 or more people in a group and only having it solo if the pet does more then half the kill)
Old 01-13-2023, 02:28 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm also confused by the mage comparison (since it happened the opposite way, you start with the full penalty but they lightened it up to not having it at all in 2 or more people in a group and only having it solo if the pet does more then half the kill)
Why is there a penalty for playing a certain way?
Old 01-13-2023, 10:25 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mind you, it's no biggie, it's not like I'm gonna put effort into competing with idiots like you to be the best in an emulated client that's out-of-date and buggy because it's no longer supported by the company which released it back in 1999. That would be like competing with idiots like you to be the best at MS-DOS 1.x. There's got to be something worth the effort and I just don't see it.
Right? Not worth my time. Much rather be competing with the idiots ON THE FORUM of the emulated client that's out-of-date and buggy.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:17 PM
Kobold

When you don't pay a subscription there's no reason to rush.

Old 01-13-2023, 06:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenDegenerate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right? Not worth my time. Much rather be competing with the idiots ON THE FORUM of the emulated client that's out-of-date and buggy.
It less effort for the same reward.