Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 01-09-2023, 03:17 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
45/38 compared to a knight with 50/39 w/ 160 DD special represents a fairly substantial handicap for the ranger. That they do similar damage when the knight has a significantly better weapon illustrates the ranger's superior baseline. Be interesting to parse them with all other factors (buffs, weapons, et cetera) being identical so as to show how much class alone affects it.

Danth
I agree. In order make the test as accurate and precise as possible, it would be best to eliminate all the possible variables: level, haste, NPC level variance, spell casting, etc.; except for the Variable that you trying to test for, DPS. Ideally all the Classes would be the same level, same amount of haste, same strength, same weapon, same NPC. The only variable should be the class alone. That way you know for sure what each class is capable of.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:11 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renault [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With the updated 2h weapon tables, are rangers still substantially ahead of knights once they get a Tuna sword or Palladius axe? It looks like most rangers are opting for 2hers as well but their ratios aren't as strong.
I’ve actually wondered about this recently. I have a Paladin with primal and ToV weapons (but no Palladius or Flamberge). I also have a Ranger with Nev main hand and epic offhand. Both with 40% haste.

Sometimes I kill Shady out of boredom, and I haven’t actually parsed it, but I feel like my Paladin kills him faster. I think it comes down to gear, but like you said, knights in general have better ratio weapons, so that’s gonna be similar even if both were BiS.

I’d like to do some actual parse testing to know for sure.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:33 AM
Orc

I have some funny parse from killing vindi, lets look at "damage per second" done by this paladin
1. my ranger is always in the log, wielding meljeldin and 98% haste
2. paladin is wielding tuna sword, i believe with haste buff, not sure with avatar or not (max hit 302)
3. i know hes mainly doing dps not other things
4. the table is in order of "DPS" not total dmg done not sdps
5. i believe rangers are "DPS" while knights are "NOT", so if i can find some sample of knight can do more dps than ranger which means "rangers are NOT substantially ahead of knights"

here we have:
kill no.1
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pally #3 and i'm #6

kill no.2
Pally #6 and i'm #9

kill no.3
Pally #8 and i'm#7, ranger win this time!!!
I remember this fight because its after i got primal weapon, at this fight we both proc avatar at the early of fight, and i saw his dps is higher than me at the beginning, at last few second my dps finally over him and i ate a faction hit~

I believe knights can do quite good dps when they have the BIS weapon (tuna sword), and from the parse i can see knights dps is come from their superb ratio weapon which can overcome low hit rate(likely 8-10% difference lower than ranger)

When i have time maybe try to kill serval time of bloodmaw in GD, which is low lvl and high hp, maybe knights dps will give us more surprise hehe
Old 01-09-2023, 09:44 AM
Sarnak

From what I’ve parsed (mostly on HoT mobs) with very well geared knights and rangers it’s pretty comparable.

Just from a quality of life/feeling useful perspective knights have the added advantage of giving the raid more resilience as they can roll in to tank if one of the main tanks goes down (happens somewhat often on a long HoT grind) and off tank if a second mob aggros. All the while doing about ranger dps (with mostly gear/buffs accounting for differences).
Old 01-09-2023, 09:54 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogundordor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have some funny parse from killing vindi, lets look at "damage per second" done by this paladin
1. my ranger is always in the log, wielding meljeldin and 98% haste
2. paladin is wielding tuna sword, i believe with haste buff, not sure with avatar or not (max hit 302)
3. i know hes mainly doing dps not other things
4. the table is in order of "DPS" not total dmg done not sdps
5. i believe rangers are "DPS" while knights are "NOT", so if i can find some sample of knight can do more dps than ranger which means "rangers are NOT substantially ahead of knights"

here we have:
kill no.1
Pally #3 and i'm #6

kill no.2
Pally #6 and i'm #9

kill no.3
Pally #8 and i'm#7, ranger win this time!!!
I remember this fight because its after i got primal weapon, at this fight we both proc avatar at the early of fight, and i saw his dps is higher than me at the beginning, at last few second my dps finally over him and i ate a faction hit~

I believe knights can do quite good dps when they have the BIS weapon (tuna sword), and from the parse i can see knights dps is come from their superb ratio weapon which can overcome low hit rate(likely 8-10% difference lower than ranger)

When i have time maybe try to kill serval time of bloodmaw in GD, which is low lvl and high hp, maybe knights dps will give us more surprise hehe

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Have you compared your two hander vs equivalent duel wielding?
Old 01-09-2023, 10:23 AM
Planar Protector

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...=327111&page=4
some my BFG parses

/GU Aaryonar in 437s, 415k @949 | Shoeshineboy 29892@(68 in 437s) | Phillip 24148@(56 in 431s) | Scian 23736@(54 in 437s) | Ripqozko 21916@(50 in 435s) | Lisson 20683@(47 in 434s) | Gatruk 20093@(46 in 430s) | Pulz 19567@(45 in 434s) | Enviee 18838@(43 in 433s) | Cattiebree 18281@(42 in 426s) | Simorgh 16666@(38 in 436s) | Satsugai 16042@(37 in 426s) | Choamsky 15151@(38 in 392s) | Kushnada 14183@(32 in 435s) | Joraah 13781@(31 in 435s) | Zogaguk 13327@(30 in 436s)

my last cek sword parse (right under rogue and abashi monk) above other monks
Old 01-09-2023, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

A tunare knight sword with damage bonus calculated is a 3.384 ratio.
A Meljeldin with damage bonus calculated is a 3.184 ratio.

It's a 6% better ratio.

At least in my experience high end DW is close to a Meljeldin (I usually am). With a BoF I expect it would be on par. The claw of lightning is nice but likely not needed to match the setup so really it's an either-or situation off one of the trips. Tunare or Vulak 2h's are a bit harder to secure but are (and should be) higher dps.

We did Dain last night. I started with DW and swapped to BFG with 8dmg arrows. Disc'ed for 2 mins and swapped back to the Silver Whip of Rage. It was a 6.5 min fight so the BFG meme-machine loses a bit of it's pizzazz, but I landed on #5 above a lot of monks. A Gharn Rock monk came in #9.

Shorter fights like crapper "can anyone help with ___?" a ranger with a disc can do really good numbers. Last Uulump with tolan arrows I did 29% more dps than a 60 rogue with an epic/winterfury combo. 131 second fight though so yea, pretty much 100% on disc.
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-09-2023 at 12:20 PM..
Old 01-09-2023, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A tunare knight sword with damage bonus calculated is a 3.384 ratio.
A Meljeldin with damage bonus calculated is a 3.184 ratio.

It's a 6% better ratio.

At least in my experience high end DW is close to a Meljeldin (I usually am). With a BoF I expect it would be on par. The claw of lightning is nice but likely not needed to match the setup so really it's an either-or situation off one of the trips. Tunare or Vulak 2h's are a bit harder to secure but are (and should be) higher dps.
Kriezen flame parses under less high ac like KT/aow, baton better but not enough where meljeldin wouldn’t out dps in most situations.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:08 AM
Fire Giant

Giants bane vs shovel
Old 01-10-2023, 12:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Giants bane vs shovel
Idk I have shovel on pally, still prefer cek sword on ranger .