Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 12-15-2022, 02:48 PM
Fire Giant

Erudite also have pretty good CHA, and have arguably better fashion and objectively cool starting city / area.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Erudite also have pretty good CHA, and have arguably better fashion and objectively cool starting city / area.
Bugged ass helms though, I have an erudite pal and I would recommend against it.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:45 AM
Planar Protector

I rolled an eru. Got Flurry UV shield for 500p. DW helm looks cool on them unlike everyone else.

The cloth helm with Narandi isn’t a great look. IMHO I’d rather look different than just blend into a sea of other paladins.

In the end race choice doesn’t matter at all minus a few gear and quest pieces. SK’s have been debating this for 20+ years and there is innate slam and like a 70 STA swing at character creation…
Old 12-16-2022, 12:37 PM
Aviak

yeah, play what you like to play my favorite paladin race is human go figure.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah its still a tough call.

Like if you wanna be best at vanilla era you wanna be a dwarf because no gear makes up for the stat difference at that stage.

If you wanna be the best late velious you wanna be a high elf because there is gear to make up the stat difference.

And a human kinda splits the difference by having adequate melee stats with good charisma.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:12 AM
Planar Protector

I look at it different--it's an easy call. When race isn't that dramatic a difference, "play what you like" becomes a low-guilt option. I'm a proponent of "play what you like" anyway, but paladin's a case where it's probably most sensible even for the min-maxers. Not a lot of difference between paladin race options. They all level at the same rate, they all have broadly similar factions, none of them have access to the strongest racial perks like regeneration or slam or huge statistic gulfs like ogre versus wood elf stamina that warriors have to pick between.

Most of the difference between 'em amounts to what'll annoy the player during lower levels or while in lower-quality gear. Dwarves are short and have bad charisma and fail lulls more often. Humans and erudites can't see in the dark. Erudites and high elves struggle with carry capacity. Half elves have bad wisdom. None of these things are crippling or necessarily even matter in the long haul but they can annoy folks out the gate. Erudites get mentioned twice so they're probably the worst choice, and even then the difference between them and the others is not all that large.

Danth
Old 12-17-2022, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

Despite CHA shortcomings Dwarves are probably the best for a casual player. You can put every point into stamina (115) and still start with 100 STR. Even then I wouldn’t say it’s easy to cap without raiding. Waiting it out at Scout and buying SS MQ’s would get you something like this:

95 base
20 starting points
25 full SS (no boots, or bracers)
9 Barbed Dragonscale Boots
16 Bracer of Benevolence x2
15 Chokidai Hide Pauldrons
5 sandwich of foul smelling herbs
6 any 6+ Talisman
16 Hammered Golden Loop x2
4 Spiked Seahorse Belt
4 Hiero Cloak

That’s missing some slots but I’d assume Velium Fire Wedding Rings, Crystal Spider Eyes, and weapons that might not have stamina on them.

The only stat that matters is your own adoration of fashion but still…it’s easier. Plus the dwarven crafted armor is pretty great.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:45 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah Natures Defender is really, really good for how little it takes to get it.

Anyone not interested in raiding for weapons nor doing the epic should consider High Elf. Big boy CHA and the most bang-for-your-buck weapon out there.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah Natures Defender is really, really good for how little it takes to get it.

Anyone not interested in raiding for weapons nor doing the epic should consider High Elf. Big boy CHA and the most bang-for-your-buck weapon out there.
I've been thinkin about rolling a paladin... Is it possible solo 40+?