Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 12-10-2022, 08:42 AM
Sarnak

War is very weak without heavy twinking which u cannot afford.

SK has some strong items but ultimately you’ll want beads which u’ll never afford as a casual and the epic is hard too.

Go paladin instead, not much use for elder beads, easiest epic out of the three, equal if not better soloer than SK and cheaper to gear overall. You can split with calm (start with all pounts into charisma and don’t go dwarf), root, tank easily and just have fun!
Old 12-12-2022, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Any of the three tanks can solo ok, the weakest being the warrior. As a group tank it’s still a terrific class especially at 60. As a geared raid tank it’s just a marvel to behold.

I went SK on live and a pally here. I had no desire to raid again but gave it a shot. I found out knights tank a LOT of content even with raiding. Let alone small group stuff and can for most epic quest fights.

I think on a budget a paladin would solo a bit better if you pick the right targets. HP recovery is just a PITA for a sk (no 400pp DW helm) and if you fight easy blues you don’t have to fear as much. Still for SK’s, mobility is nice and you can find a spot to fear most npcs.

Really do whatever you want and know you probably won’t feel “powerful” for a while. Between root and LoH or FD either knight is less likely to end up being overwhelmed by an extra npc and looking for a rez. You can rely on cheaper gear and persistence winning the day.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
War is very weak without heavy twinking which u cannot afford.
Cock of the poppiest variety.

A couple of 1:2 weapons and/or a 3:4 2 hander will take you up to raiding levels just fine and for under 100pp if not free. A suit of banded similarly effective similar price. Schw for haste at 600pp possibly free if you loot rot. Can get away without haste for quite some time. 110/130 hp from rings when you have another 400 or so pp to spare.

46-50 you can get all sorts of upgrades just playing the game to carry you to 60.

Sure it won’t be as easy as starting lvl 5 ntov geared, of course it won’t, but it is not ‘very weak’.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 12-12-2022, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

I still remember my buddy painfully soloing to 50 on greater kobolds in full crafted with 2 Ykesha's.

So yea...it isnt "WoW Speed" but it's doable. If you want a warrior, play a warrior. Same goes for a knight or really any class. It's a slog to 60 but you will get what you want in the end.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:32 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cock of the poppiest variety.

A couple of 1:2 weapons and/or a 3:4 2 hander will take you up to raiding levels just fine and for under 100pp if not free. A suit of banded similarly effective similar price. Schw for haste at 600pp possibly free if you loot rot. Can get away without haste for quite some time. 110/130 hp from rings when you have another 400 or so pp to spare.

46-50 you can get all sorts of upgrades just playing the game to carry you to 60.

Sure it won’t be as easy as starting lvl 5 ntov geared, of course it won’t, but it is not ‘very weak’.

Well on green schw are not 600pp, they are 1500 and that took the majority of what plat i had. I got 2 5/55 hp rings, Crusty arms/legs/bp/boots/shield and jagged sword of morning. Someone gave me Argent defender but it feels like i can watch a 30 min tv show between skill ups so im just using 1h/shield for now.

I went SK for mobility. I have seen like 5 zones from this era and none of the dungeons besides Kurns and Unrest. I really want to see the world and as many of the dungeons as i can and i think the SK will help me bumble around better.

If anyone on green has any hand me downs or some inexpensive stuff rotting in the Bank Rotgutz would be happy to put it to use.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:39 PM
Sarnak

Are you on blue or green?
Old 12-12-2022, 03:36 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman1022 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you on blue or green?

Green
Old 12-30-2022, 09:37 AM
Fire Giant

As others have mentioned, it really depends on what your end goals are. I don’t play an SK, but I do have a 60 Paladin, which is similar in terms of end game potential. I also have a 60 Warrior. Warrior is an amazing raid tank, and people sleep on their DPS. Even if you’re not tanking, you can hang with anyone except Rogues in DPS. I’d argue they’re technically the second best DPS in the game, if you’re able to pop Precision. The problem with Warrior, is if you don’t plan to raid and gear to the highest potential, they can feel a little underwhelming.

Paladins and Shadowknights on the other hand, feel borderline useless in raid content. They do have some roles to play, but their DPS is horrible and with no real tank discs like Warriors, they’re relegated to much smaller mobs when tanking.

As far as soloing, I solod both of mine to 60, but they were twinked, so honestly I can’t give a good estimation of what that might be like on a toon wearing lower tier gear.

I think if you plan to play fairly casually, or you enjoy group content much more than raid content, go SK. If you want to be a top notch raid tank, go Warrior. Just really depends on your desires in game.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelaboon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As others have mentioned, it really depends on what your end goals are. I don’t play an SK, but I do have a 60 Paladin, which is similar in terms of end game potential. I also have a 60 Warrior. Warrior is an amazing raid tank, and people sleep on their DPS. Even if you’re not tanking, you can hang with anyone except Rogues in DPS. I’d argue they’re technically the second best DPS in the game, if you’re able to pop Precision. The problem with Warrior, is if you don’t plan to raid and gear to the highest potential, they can feel a little underwhelming.

Paladins and Shadowknights on the other hand, feel borderline useless in raid content. They do have some roles to play, but their DPS is horrible and with no real tank discs like Warriors, they’re relegated to much smaller mobs when tanking.

As far as soloing, I solod both of mine to 60, but they were twinked, so honestly I can’t give a good estimation of what that might be like on a toon wearing lower tier gear.

I think if you plan to play fairly casually, or you enjoy group content much more than raid content, go SK. If you want to be a top notch raid tank, go Warrior. Just really depends on your desires in game.
Agreed. Warriors have the best raid/endgame potential, but are typically not as desired in groups. They cannot generate or hold agro as well as an SK/Paladin. They typically aren't great solo either, unless you are well geared and know the game well.

SKs/Paladins are much better when soloing and grouping. The only real exception to this are some mobs for epic quests that are killable with a group. They may need a Warrior to disc because they do hit fairly hard. But unfortunately are not very useful in raids.

Go Warrior if you want to be useful in raids, go Sk/Paladin if you mostly want to solo/group, and get some cheap raid gear if you choose to do so.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:04 AM
Fire Giant

Just wanted to add paladin is essential for raiding. Soulfires save engages and +200 hp buff helps a ton too...sorry sk sucks on raid aside from maybe doing train outs with pet...can tank VP ok for snap agro.