Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 11-28-2022, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Put wizards out of their misery and give enchanters their nukes and ports

Put the lame horse down already [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-28-2022, 04:07 PM
Aviak

Default ENC = fun

Occasionally I check these forums, even though I've been retired from P99.

I actually believe the opposite of what everyone else does when it comes to Live vs P99 and enchanters. Put your tinfoil hat on because here's my theory. With the latency issues live faced between large server populations and dial up internet, I believe Brad/Verant purposely rigged charm to fail both mechanically and socially. They didn't want GMs and guides to be bothered with players or full groups/raids getting decimated not by a monster breaking charm, but by the inability to react quickly in controlling the loose monster because of latency issues.

There are a few times where you could petition a guide/GM to res your raid if you could prove everyone died because of server side issues. Latency and server crashes were things that lead to such deaths.

Since charm depends on quick reactions to keep the monster in check, it just makes sense that Brad and Verant sought a secret quick fix. It takes less time to do this than figuring out a fix that works within the limits of the game's latency issues. With charm becoming so dangerous and undependable, it made enchanters shy away from the spell and also forced full parties to shun them if they wanted to use it.

Now we arrive at the present. P99 charm is considered too OP? I believe the volunteer dev team is using the true code that was intended for charm. I think it's pretty cool to have an enchanter in the group and utilize monster DPS to dungeon crawl efficiently!

Baritune - level 60 Bard
Weegee - level 40 Wizard

Representing the Sanctuary Guild as an officer. We're a group friendly red players looking enjoy Project99 without the shackles of the blue servers rules!
Old 11-28-2022, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Oh look at this dirty sock over here, guess I don't have to worry about making it more dirty". (that's EQ player logic)
"Oh look at this hard, crusty, and stained sock over here, guess I don't have to worry about washing it - I hope it doesn't smell like cum" (that's EQ player logic)
Old 11-30-2022, 10:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clazxiss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Occasionally I check these forums, even though I've been retired from P99.

I actually believe the opposite of what everyone else does when it comes to Live vs P99 and enchanters. Put your tinfoil hat on because here's my theory. With the latency issues live faced between large server populations and dial up internet, I believe Brad/Verant purposely rigged charm to fail both mechanically and socially. They didn't want GMs and guides to be bothered with players or full groups/raids getting decimated not by a monster breaking charm, but by the inability to react quickly in controlling the loose monster because of latency issues.

There are a few times where you could petition a guide/GM to res your raid if you could prove everyone died because of server side issues. Latency and server crashes were things that lead to such deaths.

Since charm depends on quick reactions to keep the monster in check, it just makes sense that Brad and Verant sought a secret quick fix. It takes less time to do this than figuring out a fix that works within the limits of the game's latency issues. With charm becoming so dangerous and undependable, it made enchanters shy away from the spell and also forced full parties to shun them if they wanted to use it.

Now we arrive at the present. P99 charm is considered too OP? I believe the volunteer dev team is using the true code that was intended for charm. I think it's pretty cool to have an enchanter in the group and utilize monster DPS to dungeon crawl efficiently!
Miss ya on R99, Pal.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clazxiss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 charm is considered too OP? I believe the volunteer dev team is using the true code that was intended for charm. I think it's pretty cool to have an enchanter in the group and utilize monster DPS to dungeon crawl efficiently!
Do you have any proof of this? I genuinely don't know if this is true or not, but I've got quite a bit of experience on P99 and TLP at this point, and the general consensus on TLP is that the charm on P99 is not classic by any means. Which is why on TLP Enchanters still build Intelligence over Charm. And honestly that's how I remembered it 20+ years ago too (along with Charm being a super high risk ability).
Old 12-01-2022, 01:13 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaritan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Miss ya on R99, Pal.
Miss all you and all the cool kids as well! RL has me by the talons, in a good way. I'm going to be a dad in a few months!

Baritune - level 60 Bard
Weegee - level 40 Wizard

Representing the Sanctuary Guild as an officer. We're a group friendly red players looking enjoy Project99 without the shackles of the blue servers rules!