Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-07-2022, 12:41 PM
Sarnak

Default More fun leveling - Gnome Warrior or Erudite Paladin?

I have a decent set of twink gear now. Fungi Tunic, Seahorse belt, 2x silver chitin wristbands, reaver. and other odds and ends.

I will never raid with either of these characters, I'm mostly interested in leveling with a mix of soloing and grouping. Probably to the mid 50s. I do not care about these characters raid roles, or ntov loot options, or anything like that.

For the gnome I also have the haste clicky gnome armor, and dwarven cultural armor is pretty good at filling out some otherwise mediocre gear slots.

For paladin, I could get the shield of stalwart seas + rod of faith or something (i also have a reaver for both). But I don't think I want to grind plat long enough to buy a massive dragonclaw shard.

For this kind of pretty solid, but not wildly overwhelming set of twink gear, I can't decide which would be more fun. The gnome can basically be at haste-cap by himself, which is pretty nice. Paladins get spells and eventually helmet healing and whatnot.

So setting aside these classes respective roles at 60. Which do you think would be the most fun to level to at least the mid 50s with?
Old 11-07-2022, 12:47 PM
Fire Giant

The Brell's gear is good AC for levelling and filling the Legs / Boots / Helm slots specifically. But, Gnome has worse dex than dwarf - so dwarf would be better as a warrior for 50+ proc'ing Bloodpoints and Truncheon of Doom. Unless you wanna keep recharging the haste arms. But, still dwarf strength will help especially with Reaver and critical / crippling. And dwarf stamina much better, too.

Paladin is a better tank and more fun class to play. Erudite have pretty good starting charisma for lulls. With fungi, 34% haste and a reaver, you can be group daddy as paladin. CC, pulls, tank, DPS, heals. It's very fun to carry groups as a paladin. And erudite have excellent fashion, especially velious plate. Or Deepwater. (Crystal Chitin Looks dope with Fungi, SCWB, CC arms on erudite)

If you dont care about raiding, I'd say paladin is the winner
Old 11-07-2022, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Gnome War w/ self haste and fungi will outpace paladin solo for a while until lacking CC becomes an issue.

Pally will obviously be way better for most grouping with the exception being duo with a shaman. War's damage really shines with shaman duo.

If you can afford it, a Crown of Narandi will make the biggest difference for solo Paladin. Trak BP is pretty nuts too.

I did both (not gnome, but heavily twinked war). Paladin felt way better / more efficient after about level 30.

My vote goes to Paladin since you expressly stated no interest in raiding and only taking it to mid 50s (war shines at 60). Load up on DS pots. Start max CHA with a good set of +CHA items for lull splitting rooms.

I did warrens 1-23, perma 23-30, and CT 30-43 completely solo. Afterward, did some solo and grouping at CoM 43-48, then some kedge/solB to bridge the gap to hole entrance (you'll be keyed too no matter what race if you do warrens 1-23). The ole XP / ZEM superhighway.
Last edited by Toxigen; 11-07-2022 at 12:56 PM..
Old 11-07-2022, 01:07 PM
Sarnak

Cool. This is the kind of stuff I was kicking around. I like gnomes and those haste arms, but paladin probably just does have a better kit for getting into (and importantly, out of) trouble.

There is just no way i'll have a crown of narandi probably ever. I just bought a fungi yesterday and now I have like 2-3k plat. I think anything over 15k I don't have the fortitude to farm for right now! I don't think anybody is going to feel comfortable letting me borrow such a pricey item. A Trak BP I might be able to afford by the time i'm 45 though, it does look super nice.

Quote:
Gnome has worse dex than dwarf - so dwarf would be better as a warrior for 50+ proc'ing Bloodpoints and Truncheon of Doom. Unless you wanna keep recharging the haste arms. But, still dwarf strength will help especially with Reaver and critical / crippling. And dwarf stamina much better, too
I could also get the gnome dex buffing armor. And its easy to keep enough batterys around to maintain these buffs once you're like 20+ and they last a bit of time. I think gnomes with haste clicky come out ahead of other leveling warriors when you don't have somebody to provide that buff, but I think the arguments for paladin otherwise seem pretty compelling anyway
Old 11-07-2022, 02:08 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah warrior gets really tough because the solo spots are super limited 30+ Even with fungi and a reaver.

Paladin can split camps like a boss - pick up some cha gear (Kobold jesters crown 30cha and can be worn all the time - 15ac head slot) and praise prexuZ
Old 11-07-2022, 02:47 PM
Sarnak

Kobold Jester Crown seems like a very good idea. Any other high value charisma items worth picking up to swap? I could maybe force myself to farm enough for a necklace of superiority. That seems generically good.

Otherwise i'm looking at a setup of something like this: https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Erud_Paladin
Old 11-07-2022, 02:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbeard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kobold Jester Crown seems like a very good idea. Any other high value charisma items worth picking up to swap? I could maybe force myself to farm enough for a necklace of superiority. That seems generically good.

Otherwise i'm looking at a setup of something like this: https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Erud_Paladin
Thats a really solid build -- mostly becuase you wouldnt have to swap out gear for lulls. That gear you have will carry you to 45 -- maybe a deepwater helm / legs / BP / bracer for 45+ clickies.

Damn, wish you were on Green you could duo with my dru or enc
Old 11-07-2022, 03:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbeard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

https://wiki.project1999.com/Matchless_Dragonskin_Mask

https://wiki.project1999.com/A_Crude_Stein

See my paladins magelo, I prefer +6 neck over superiority if you can find some loot rights to buy.

Also swapping gear for lulls is NOT a big deal at all, especially when a crit resist means a ton more resources used to handle the additional mobs.

Take the time to do it. Its worth. Your fungi is healing you anyway while you do it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Toxigen; 11-07-2022 at 03:23 PM..
Old 11-07-2022, 03:31 PM
Sarnak

cool. I'll pick up those charisma items too. You're other stuff thats nicer (some of it a lot nicer!) is beyond my price range sadly. But it looks like a really nice and carefully chosen set of equipment.

Superiority necklace is probably the way to go for me unless i decide to go to 60 or something and don't mind losing the cash forever on a no-trade item. But that isn't my plan at this time.

I appreciate all the suggestions from people though
Old 11-07-2022, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
cool. I'll pick up those charisma items too. You're other stuff thats nicer (some of it a lot nicer!) is beyond my price range sadly. But it looks like a really nice and carefully chosen set of equipment.

Superiority necklace is probably the way to go for me unless i decide to go to 60 or something and don't mind losing the cash forever on a no-trade item. But that isn't my plan at this time.

I appreciate all the suggestions from people though
Aye, you've got a great set of gear that'll be more than enough...albeit a bit slower lacking FT2 from narandi crown. Make sure to get https://wiki.project1999.com/Deepwater_Vambraces and will save you a ton of mana from 45 on.

I'd dump a few thousand plat on some 10 dose DS pots. They're amazing if you need that little bump in damage when in a really sticky spot (or if you get a POTG and want to really go HAM). Can easily make the difference between a corpse run and a nice med break.

https://wiki.project1999.com/10_Dose..._Skin_of_Flame
Last edited by Toxigen; 11-07-2022 at 03:37 PM..