Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-19-2022, 03:31 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wow Jimjam! that was a slap on my paladin's face! we solo way better than any other melee class imo, especially after 46 with the deepwater helm. we're definitely the most self-sufficient, and can solo in dungeons just fine. that's nothing to sneeze at!
Having soloed a paladin to 56 and a Shadow Knight to 60. I disagree.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

It's slower butt the power rating is much higher than an Sk.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

It’s a catch 22.

Fear kiting while annoying is more efficient when npcs are hitting harder. You need more room to make it work so you can’t always do this (usually but not always).

Root click healing is more efficient way to trade blows. You don’t need much space but wearing down like a geo this way is a painful concept.

Either class can solo easily to 60. Just a matter of what you like. Reverse kiting or not. Facetanking as a sk even while using a pet relies on a pretty inefficient method of hp recovery. Even the paladin heal over time is a mana sink compared to burning two jaspers. I would argue on a shoestring budget a pally is better because a DW helm is 400p. A sk without a fungi is pretty gross in those mid levels, unless you have clarity and are treating your hp bar with felt gloves.

Back on topic though…the pally epic is great and worth the effort. The SK epic is better but doesn’t mean ours doesn’t have a purpose. It’s also quite a bit easier…
Last edited by Snaggles; 11-19-2022 at 11:24 AM..
Old 11-20-2022, 06:30 PM
Sarnak

I have Narandi’s Lance, Epic and Nature’s Defender as well as a couple of NToV 1hand weapons. Each is situational but I use Epic more than the others especially in a group situation. Extra HPs on a CH are great and being able to interrupt casters with ease is huge. Even if you just have it around to throw into main hand and bash, it will be worth the effort.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have Narandi’s Lance, Epic and Nature’s Defender as well as a couple of NToV 1hand weapons. Each is situational but I use Epic more than the others especially in a group situation. Extra HPs on a CH are great and being able to interrupt casters with ease is huge. Even if you just have it around to throw into main hand and bash, it will be worth the effort.

Of course ya would with no ntov 2h, once ya have that you won't. 1h is only used ranking really hard hitting things. If ya have access to ntov or st epic is pointless..
Old 11-21-2022, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

There are a lot of stunnable npcs that can gate or CH. Since these are higher level casted stun isn’t guaranteed to work nor is bash but flipping two coins often provides a win. I’ve even had the -100 check stun proc interrupt a gater before. That’s some rng magic when it happens but is satisfying.

The epic is about 75% of the dps of my Rocksmasher. It’s probably about the same as a Frostwrath or Vyemm sledge. I still use it a lot when I don’t want to hover click. Not solo or low-man crew kills when every bit matters but anytime my dps isn’t noticeable (with a charmed pet at best it’s 20% of the dps) I use the epic if there are caster npcs on the menu. Maybe a fan of underdog picks or just be being a bad, or a bit of both [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] . At least it looks cool.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
a question for all paladins who got their epic - is it worth it? aren't there better weapons for a paladin to use that are reasonably obtainable? even the narandi lance seems like a better weapon.

just wanted some thoughts on this before i try my hand at the epic quest. i have even less time than i did before to go raiding and get up at weird hours, so if it's not going to really affect my soloing ability (i mostly solo on the paladin), i'd rather not waste my time. thanks
100%

If for no other reason than it looks awesome. I don’t ever use it but sometimes I like to wear it for it’s visual aesthetic.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Can I ask your question back to you?

Is it worth getting the coolest looking weapon in the game, and one of the only literal swords that are on fire, like a flaming sword in the game? Lets forget stats for a second here ;p
Old 01-01-2023, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can I ask your question back to you?

Is it worth getting the coolest looking weapon in the game, and one of the only literal swords that are on fire, like a flaming sword in the game? Lets forget stats for a second here ;p
nope
Old 01-03-2023, 11:10 PM
Planar Protector

frostwrath outdps's my epic and i can wear a shield
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior