Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 09-25-2022, 10:20 AM
Large Bat

Default 1 hand or 2 hand for SK

I was wondering, which weapon is better for soloing mobs?

I know 2h is better for fear kiting, but outside of that?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2022, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

2h all day everyday lvl 20+.

Less ripostes more dps and reaver/Lance are easy pickups. Slam or epic are great for fear kiting in tight spaces and interrupting spells.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

Main place you'll notice a dramatic difference is when jousting, which heavily favors high-damage (hence usually slow 2H) weapons. Kiting modestly favors slower 2H, mostly for convenience due to P99's funky hitboxes. Face-tanking slightly favors 1H for shield AC (and bash if small race) when ratios are similar. In either of those cases the difference is not huge enough to be a serious cause for concern. Mostly you'll favor whatever weapon does the most damage over time, which more often than not will be a 2H. Solo heavily favors offense. Treat the shield like a tie-breaker when damage dealt is about the same. You would use a 1H when you deal about the same damage per minute with it as your 2H. You would not want to drop your damage by a third for the shield, however. Depending on budget, there are "cost tiers" where 1H are sometimes the more sensible options, but overall I agree with Crede that 2H is broadly preferred when all else is equal.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 09-25-2022 at 11:16 AM..
Old 09-25-2022, 01:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2h all day everyday lvl 20+.

Less ripostes more dps and reaver/Lance are easy pickups. Slam or epic are great for fear kiting in tight spaces and interrupting spells.
^ except if your 1h is way better than your 2h. SK's have a bunch of nice droppable 1hers like https://wiki.project1999.com/Shard_of_Night that are a lot easier to come by than similar 2h.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:21 PM
Large Bat

should I aim for highest ratio weapon then?
Old 09-26-2022, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupoking [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
should I aim for highest ratio weapon then?
Mostly, yeah, that's good enough for a short answer on a message board. I could make a long post detailing various exceptions but it's not really needed for starting out and you'll learn along the way if you stick with the character.

I strongly advise also being sure you like the look of whatever you pick. I know a couple of guys who lost interest in shadowknight alts because they bought the Shard of Night and didn't like running around poking things with a silly little dagger.

Danth
Old 09-26-2022, 11:59 AM
Large Bat

Hah yeah I should be good. Its just I was on the fence between grinding for pgt or sbh. Ill go with highest ratio option.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupoking [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hah yeah I should be good. Its just I was on the fence between grinding for pgt or sbh. Ill go with highest ratio option.
I’d say the one exception would be if you’re fear kiting in tight spaces and are not an ogre/troll with slam and don’t have epic, then I might consider a slightly inferior 1h for bash.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

i use my 2h 90% of time, when tanking hot or something ill use 1h, bout it.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:20 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Any recs for 2h'er that are in the 1-3k range. Like something before I can afford a Reaver?