Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 10-14-2022, 03:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The exact level range it's viable depends a bit on gear and know-how. 55 might be slightly low, but if you get some buffs you could try it out. You can also lure a rogue friend up there (they can sneak past everything) to help out.

As for directions, head straight into CE, into the back room, then take a left, follow the hall and take another left up the stairs, through a door, then up more stairs again. There will be a golem on the stairs you'll have to invis/flop past. Eventually you'll hit a corner with a hallway to the right, a pather, and a couple mobs in side rooms, leading out to a balcony. You can either methodically take the mobs between you and the balcony face tanking, or preferably invis/flop over to the far side of the balcony and clear from there. There's 2 pathers you'll mostly face tank, then the balcony is opened up for kiting. From there you just pull to the balcony, and you're golden. Nameds are the only annoying bit. You'll want a decent mana pool/clickies to power through those. Wall heals are also a thing, but generally on the balcony you won't have to deal with those, esp. after you break in.

The kiting area is the right side of "Castle Middle" on the The Hole map on the wiki. You'll also pull from "Castle Top" area as well.

Tip: You can get hit with a C from CE if you stand on the edge of the balcony.

It's a methodical break, but very relaxing once you crack it.
Awesome! Thx for the detailed directions. Gonna grind out 55 at kc and then give it a go
Old 10-14-2022, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaarsuvius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are 4 guards & Nyzil in Butcher Block who will con dark blue all the way to 60.
Easy to split them or just kill one while fearing the add.
They respawn quite fast, drop dwarven axes and FS weapons that you can sell at druid ring, and as a bonus there are lots of roaming skellies to refiill your bone chip stock.
I usualy face tank them and only fear kite when they quad and Disarm will not work

It's very safe & steady xp spot when you don't feel like / play long enough time to join a group
Don't even need to split them if you're killing Nyzil.

You can target him through the building wall and send your pet after him, pet teleports through the wall, then Pet Back off to teleport him back through the brick wall. Doesn't aggro the others, if you pull from the back of the building.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:32 AM
Banned

do you guys all play SKs post 50+ because you like it
real curious why you're all not Necros after reading this thread if you want to pwn mobs solo
Old 01-04-2023, 07:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
real curious why you're all not Necros after reading this thread if you want to pwn mobs solo
I’m leveling an SK alt (currently level 50) and for me, it’s a lot of different things. For one I really enjoy that evil knight aesthetic. I’ve also just always found pure spell casters to be super boring. I also enjoy the challenge involved, as compared to that of a Necro. I also have a 54 Necro that bores me to tears because it feels so OP. I guess it just comes down to preference. More than anything I just like the feel and play style of a Tank hybrid.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:15 AM
Banned

Just was curious, I too once loved SK until discovering I couldn’t solo Xalgoz at 51. Took me 5 SKs and 3 NECs to realize my preferred play style is caster.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just was curious, I too once loved SK until discovering I couldn’t solo Xalgoz at 51. Took me 5 SKs and 3 NECs to realize my preferred play style is caster.
That mostly comes down to how much you like caster play styles vs. melee play styles. To be honest I love the melee play style in Everquest. My first level 50+ toon on live was a Warrior I mostly soloed with hehe.

However, pure melees tend to not have enough tools when it comes to soloing. That is why I picked Shadowknight as my first char on P99 instead of Warrior. You get the hard-hitting 250 damage melee swings of an SK, coupled with some Necro spells for more dynamic play. That is why I like playing my SK, even at level 58.

I think that is why I like Shamans a lot too. They are tanky, so they still have some melee play aspects to them, but they have more raw power due to them being a pure caster.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Hit 52 and shelf on sk.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-06-2023, 03:33 PM
Banned

sac’d to 45 a looookng time ago
i will say i throughly enjoyed leveling my SK (to 30s) during red era launch engaging in low lvl PvP was some of the most fun I ever had
Old 01-06-2023, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

PVP really is at it's best in the first half of the game.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-06-2023, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm kind of with you on this. I like my shadow knight plenty well (been 60 on P99 for a good ten years or more), but I mostly duo with the wife or have other friend(s) along. Solo is only of very secondary concern, just something to do when I happen to be online by myself once in awhile. It would not be my first class choice for a primarily solo character. Trying to build a primarily solo melee in this game feels akin to pounding a square peg into a round hole. You can do it but you're working against type.

Danth