Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-08-2022, 08:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did nobles/bards/isa on my SK until 55. But I think nobles are broke now with merchant aggro? Idk.

I messed around with Kelethin guards a bit on my SK, but it was way more tolerable on my wizard. I was pulling down to ground and fear kiting, but this was annoying as I couldn't keep a pet up when invis'n back up the lift. You could try short duration fears up top as DSM mentioned, you'll really have to watch pathing, perhaps there is a good spot up there to do it though.
Merchant agro was fixed some time ago
Old 08-09-2022, 04:27 AM
Sarnak

There are 4 guards & Nyzil in Butcher Block who will con dark blue all the way to 60.
Easy to split them or just kill one while fearing the add.
They respawn quite fast, drop dwarven axes and FS weapons that you can sell at druid ring, and as a bonus there are lots of roaming skellies to refiill your bone chip stock.
I usualy face tank them and only fear kite when they quad and Disarm will not work

It's very safe & steady xp spot when you don't feel like / play long enough time to join a group
Old 08-21-2022, 08:23 PM
Skeleton

I’ll throw in Cobalt Scar wyverns for early 50’s. Pull to the beach and fearkite. Also, Erudin dock guards - always good when waiting for a Hole raid to start.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:47 AM
Planar Protector

Wyverns are good. They are on ToV faction so you can be non-KoS but they also don’t give faction hits on death so you don’t become kos after killing them.

Vendor in zone, bank next door. Good fishing. Lots of velious gems drop too if that is your thing.

Not tried them on a SK personally, these are my experiences on a wizard.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-22-2022, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Update to CS wyverns for SKs:

I logged in to my 52 SK to give this a go on blue. Self buffs only.

Very easy fight, though I spent a lot of mana doing it.

I pulled the mob to the beach, tapping it's stats on the way in. Hit it with dooming darkness (which lasted until the wyvern was slow speed fleeing). Hit it with Invoke Fear at 100% and again at about 65%. Stepped back at 19% for dots to push it in to natural flee mode without it turning on me for a round once the second fear broke.

Most notable thing was fear did make the wyvern enter the water, so beware of that possibility. Didn't use pet.

Dropped a stinger and coral crescent. Mob conned dark blue. No faction hit.

Second attempt:

Used Reaver and pet instead of Sword of Pain. Was actually actually a little slower! Just dropped meat (and some pp, as before) this time.

Third attempt:

Found an xp green wyvern so there tried kiting a drake. Largely same strat (but had to split with fd/snare). Only difference is I feared it before doing my taps (drakes here have a breath not dissimilar to Lady Vox). Dropped nowt but cash.

Fourth attempt:

Spawns are pretty hotly contested between quaders and fearers. Beware of the named wyvern and drake, Yvolcarn and Azureake ... "these dragons are not for eating!" they can be quite mean and give faction hits. As a fear kiter you have an advantage as most quadders are reluctant to fight the cobalt drakes, due to the aforementioned breath weapon.

Edit:

Okay killed like 6 or 7 blue mobs in 25 minutes. It's a good pace and feels safe. Xp bar has moved to the right. Nice music. Try it out if you are craving a beach holiday! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Last edited by Jimjam; 08-22-2022 at 12:41 PM..
Old 08-22-2022, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

I failed to submit an edit - I tried to toe to toe a wyvern without dots/fear/stuff. It did 60% damage, my SK did 100% damage. So don't be too worried about fear breaking or being resisted - you should be able to simply beat a single up the old fashioned way if needed.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaedain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
fear kiting the undead spawns near the EJ zoneline in TT was very nice and easy
second this, or temple in CoM. easy single pulls, and can fear kite them if needed. Good exp to 53
Old 10-12-2022, 03:49 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those places are all possible, CoM is pretty good as well. You’d be surprised how many close quarter places an sk can fear kite(especially if you can slam). I initially wrote it off as an annoying way to level but it’s pretty much essential 50+ for good solo xp. I can effectively go for hours if done correctly paired with the blood ember gauntlets/boots when I need to balance the mana from dooming darkness/fear/spook the dead. I do have a crown of narandi/fungi though, but I assume most people these days can obtain those items or just paying for a POTG every few hours is totally worth the xp boost once you figure out a good spot.

Also do not neglect the added damage potential of the 52/58 pet. The max level 52 pet is an 8 level jump from the max 49 pet. Get yourself a reclaim energy item to help with getting to max. It’s more than just a tiny dot, a good pet is capable of doing at least 1/4 your dps. Here’s a screenshot I took from the max 52 pet with strengthen death:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any suggestions on where to fear kite on the walls in CoM? Got to lvl 55 now and it seems like CoM could be a good spot until 57 or so.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:58 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some good ideas in this thread. Here's a few more.

HHK nobles/bards/dyrna is very good to like 55. Get shrink pots if you're a large race. You can hold down both bards and nobles. At 55+ you can do dyrna and run upstairs to kill a noble/bard or two in between spawns.

Hole entrance is good for earlier 50's, while the upper castle is good higher 50's. I didn't like the fallen erudites camp. Not enough mobs for my taste and some annoying aggro issues with higher level mobs near by.

Speaking of higher 50's, rats in the maze in PoM are great, as are the 2 giants in Frontier Mtns. Lastly, Velks is good in a pinch. You can fear kite near the invisible wall.

As for the tar goos in WL, I found them pretty good mid 50's, but mostly just face tanked them. Fear kiting in those caves is super annoying, but the money is good. Also in WL are the geonids, which are doable 58+ but pretty beefy. EZ spot to get to though for grinding exp when short on time.
Think I read in your other SK related thread that you killed at CE balcony in the hole at higher 50s? Tried to find that place but wasn’t really able to. Got a rough explanation of where it is and do you think it’s doable at lvl 55? I assume as long as it’s a fear kiting spot it should be doable but not really sure.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordbear [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Think I read in your other SK related thread that you killed at CE balcony in the hole at higher 50s? Tried to find that place but wasn’t really able to. Got a rough explanation of where it is and do you think it’s doable at lvl 55? I assume as long as it’s a fear kiting spot it should be doable but not really sure.
The exact level range it's viable depends a bit on gear and know-how. 55 might be slightly low, but if you get some buffs you could try it out. You can also lure a rogue friend up there (they can sneak past everything) to help out.

As for directions, head straight into CE, into the back room, then take a left, follow the hall and take another left up the stairs, through a door, then up more stairs again. There will be a golem on the stairs you'll have to invis/flop past. Eventually you'll hit a corner with a hallway to the right, a pather, and a couple mobs in side rooms, leading out to a balcony. You can either methodically take the mobs between you and the balcony face tanking, or preferably invis/flop over to the far side of the balcony and clear from there. There's 2 pathers you'll mostly face tank, then the balcony is opened up for kiting. From there you just pull to the balcony, and you're golden. Nameds are the only annoying bit. You'll want a decent mana pool/clickies to power through those. Wall heals are also a thing, but generally on the balcony you won't have to deal with those, esp. after you break in.

The kiting area is the right side of "Castle Middle" on the The Hole map on the wiki. You'll also pull from "Castle Top" area as well.

Tip: You can get hit with a C from CE if you stand on the edge of the balcony.

It's a methodical break, but very relaxing once you crack it.
Last edited by Keebz; 10-14-2022 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: grammar