Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Kobold

Warriors are very good tanks. A lot of the problems you are seeing on P99 is that the vast majority of the people playing at lower levels (read not 60) are twinked alts or twinked friends being pulled into the soul sucking black hole that is everquest. When a new monk has a CoF, two jade mace, fungi, full dps jewelry package, etc he is going to out agro a warrior with two fine steel long swords every day of the week.

As has been said, warriors are incredibly dependent on their gear. Any group members need to learn how to play their classes rather than trying to min-max for ultimate DPS. Back on live when I first played a warrior I never had trouble maintaining agro and grabbing snap agro from casters when they decided to nuke at 90% rather than waiting for 50-60%. But on P99 everyone knows how to maximize their damage and the market is flooded with high end twink gear.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylexis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone just PM'd me with a question about exponential hate building, A fully buffed, epic'd and hasted monk at level 60 with a Tstaff should be pushing somewhere around 3150 hate per minute.

Teserrina's Whip / Frostbringer should generate just under 4k hate per minute, give you a slow proc with poison counters but no damage over time (so you aren't breaking mez's during crowd control fuckups) an AC debuff so you'll take less damage overall. Neither of these items require a raid to obtain.
I don't seem to have any information on a "teserrina's whip" what exactly is this?
Old 08-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Sarnak

I spelled it wrong.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Tserrina%27s_Whip

Slow proc with two poison counters but no over time damage, you can thank Samarhad of Divinity for pointing it out to me, i didn't know it existed.

There are other weapons, several actually that you can obtain in a non raid environment in Velious for tanking, I don't use this whip myself but it's one of the few high hate procs without damage over time.
<Divinity>
Last edited by Sylexis; 08-13-2015 at 01:50 PM..
Old 08-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

I'm pretty sure that's a snare and not a slow.

But the aggro should still be pretty good because of the poison counters.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Sarnak

Level 60 warrior, capped str and haste:
7/22 + Proc

7(weapon dmg) + 11(dmg bonus) x 55 (swings per minute) = 990 hate from potential damage per minute

550 (slow proc) + 250 (poison counter) + 250 (poison counter) = 1050 hate per proc

Standard proc of 2 per minute + hate from damage per minute = 3090

It's going to be a bit spikey at first considering just how much of the hate is coming out of it's procs alone and not it's melee based hate generation, so you'll have to compensate with an extra 2-3 seconds of melee generation before calling assist, but after the first proc you're pretty much done with controlling aggro for the fight.
<Divinity>
Last edited by Sylexis; 08-13-2015 at 02:44 PM..
Old 08-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure that's a snare and not a slow.

But the aggro should still be pretty good because of the poison counters.
Whoops I need more coffee or I need to lay off on the cold medicine for the day.

You're right, so it would be 400 + 250 + 250 so a 900 hate proc not a 1050 - totalling a 2790HPM weapon.
<Divinity>
Last edited by Sylexis; 08-13-2015 at 03:02 PM..
Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Sarnak

Warriors in groups represent a trade off. You get more DPS and better damage mitigation than you would from a knight, but you need to help them control agro. It's very rare to build a group which doesn't have a class that can root. Especially being a ranger, the best thing you can do for that warrior is root the mobs and stay at max melee range so the warrior can hold agro.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Sarnak

Those who can't group with warriors are LAZY casual scum*. There are lots of ways to counter poor aggro for warriors. Procs are useful yes, but there are times where you don't proc (and really most of the time I find ONE proc is enough to hold aggro so even different levels of aggro aren't a huge deal. Other classes should be dumping aggro anyway).

Anyway if you're grouped with a warrior: root, root, and more root. One caster needing to use root is probably a better potential group with a warrior than with a knight and not needing to use root - provided the mobs are not high level compared to the caster or highly magic resistant (lots of root breaks).

If you have a warrior and a knight in a group (not ideal, but groups rarely are) you can do two things. Have the warrior zerk and do dps or have the warrior tank by stealing aggro off the knight. Knight disease clouds or blinds and warrior successfully taunts? Well, no one is getting aggro off the warrior anymore. Similar can go for things like slow. Save taunt until slow lands and the shaman or enchanter gets aggro. Boom. Can also let a ranger aggro with snare and then steal aggro there too.

Warrior + shaman is also a very, very good duo. Pretty much as good as monk + shaman duo, provided the warrior can stay zerk and you don't need FD splitting.

*being silly, calm down.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Kobold

Warriors are still the best group tanks imo. They mitigate the best for less mana usage. They do the most dps which helps efficiency of the group. Sure they don't have the aggro of a pallly or sk but what they bring more than makes up for it. At lower lvls even a cloth wearer can take quite a few hits if something goes wrong and at the higher end warrior aggro is pretty insane with good procing weapons.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celatus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warriors are still the best group tanks imo. They mitigate the best for less mana usage. They do the most dps which helps efficiency of the group. Sure they don't have the aggro of a pallly or sk but what they bring more than makes up for it. At lower lvls even a cloth wearer can take quite a few hits if something goes wrong and at the higher end warrior aggro is pretty insane with good procing weapons.
Step 1) get Shaman to slow

Step 2) get Bard or Monk as tank

Step 3) ???

Step 4) Profit
Closed Thread