Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 01-07-2024, 09:02 PM
Aviak

Default Group loot etiquette

Hi all.

I'm genuinely new (only L27) and have just recently started grouping. Back in the day about twenty years ago, it was the done thing to have autosplit on and obviously take turns in various ways on distributing loot. Need vs greed and all of that. No issue there. I'm poor and need most nec stuff, anything else is greed or clashing needs and people roll.

I was just told tonight though that autosplit doesn't work properly and it basically serves no function other than to spam and to weight people with copper... and to turn it off.

Some (most) people in the group were obviously very experienced and were in game rich so didnt need anything, especially anything that dropped at that level, whereas I was too stupid to loot... until they told me this.

So what is the current state of autosplit and the current loot etiquette? Just so I get it right and I'm up to date.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:43 PM
Sarnak

Last I saw the autosplit is still pretty busted, it won't break coin down into smaller coin to split, so if you drop 1 plat, it won't share anything to anyone, but if you drop 40 copper it'll split that up. Monks hate it, best to just leave it off and take turns looting the valuable drops.

Amualia - Level 59 Dark-Elf Cleric
Maruki - Level 23 Iksar BONEKNIGHT
Lorelai - Level 54 High-Elf Enchanter
Old 01-07-2024, 09:47 PM
Planar Protector

Autosplit will disproportionately give the looter all the higher level coin and disperse the lower level coin to everyone else.

If you're truly trying to be fair and a vendor/banker is close (like goblins in HHK) one person loots - sells/banks and splits plat totals periodically.

Most of the time people just randomly loot all coin with split turned off. If people do a decent job taking turns doing this it works out fine.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-08-2024, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

autosplit sucks

if you're brand new just loot as much as you can until people start saying something about the trash cash

just apologize, say you're new and have basically no money....one of 3 things will happen:

1 - they'll ask you to let other people loot corpses

2 - they'll say "man go HAM then loot it up"

3 - someone will feel bad and hook you up with some plat after your group is done
Old 01-08-2024, 11:40 AM
Aviak

Thank you everyone for your valuable help and insights!
Toxigen, what does go ham mean? I literally have no idea!
Thanks
Old 01-08-2024, 12:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtorps [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you everyone for your valuable help and insights!
Toxigen, what does go ham mean? I literally have no idea!
Thanks
hard as a mfker

just looting everything in sight basically in this instance
Old 01-08-2024, 12:37 PM
Kobold

Good question about auto split.

Try to establish loot rules before pulling starts. If you're joining an already established group, ask them what their loot rules are.

Need before greed is not typically practiced on p99 unless it's a group of friends. So if you're in Karnors and a Tstaff drops, most groups aren't going to pass it to the monk just because they can use it.

If you make the group, you can establish whatever loot rules you want. Just be upfront about it.
Addiction (Officer) EQ Mayong - 2009-2010
Wudan (Member) EQ Rallos Zek - 2003-2004
Elven Crusaders (Officer) EQ Rallos Zek - 2000-2003
Old 01-08-2024, 03:57 PM
Sarnak

Having a master looter that tracks everything and splits is probably the S tier experience, but I have been in a lot of groups that mostly free for all cleaning up corpses and then roll on anything interesting.

One of the dangers with the latter is that you have some group member irritated that nobody else will clean up corpses at the same time as another member is irritated that that guy is greedily ripping off the group. So it can be better to mention loot instead of letting resentment build silently.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:38 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So it can be better to mention loot instead of letting resentment build silently.
Yeah, did this. I mentioned it and to be fair the Group Leader (GL) was pretty good on maintaining a list in alphabetical order. Everyone seemed ok, we all seemed to loot or just sit there waiting for the good stuff.

Then the GL left and the list was reversed up by someone who was a bit bossy (only by dint of them being a long time player) to include a new member of the group. I wouldn't normally mind but the time for this drop was quite long in the PUG and for this person to have the cycle reversed 5 mins after joining was, well, it was what it was.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:25 PM
Fire Giant

Autosplit ON unless there is a monk who is AdHd about coin, then OFF
alpha gems worth 50-150pp if plentiful, with cleric getting first crack and all Fire Opals
uncommon to rare high value drops ran100
screw need before greed everyone has multiple alts and unless there is a verifiable NOOB "need" level is equivalent. Exception: If a TRUE noob in the group, for sure let them loot midrange value gear if they are truly in need