Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Fire Giant

Default Classic EQ with modern graphics

If Classic EQ up to Velious was remade with a completely modern, cutting edge graphics engine, who would play it?

I'm talking precisely the same - same spawns, same mechanics, same feel, same dimensions, same build. It would basically just be a port, a cut and paste of layout with a new (but totally authentic) graphical and artistic update. No fiddling with things to improve them unless absolutely required by the move to new tech (collision differences etc.).

The things updated would be:
  • all world mesh (the current layouts pasted into Maya etc. and overlayed with new, much higher detailed treatments, but all dimensions kept where possible)
  • all character models and animations
  • all textures
  • all effects
  • all sound
  • all UI elements

I'm interested in hearing from those who would find such a game appealing, not in generating another thread of debate on the topic, just FYI [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'd also love to hear any comment from the devs on p99 as to the viability of maintaining all or most of the underlying client and server code, and just changing out the graphics engine i.e. would it be mostly possible, or would it require a complete rewrite (from their experience with code base)?
Last edited by t0lkien; 06-14-2013 at 11:23 PM..
Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Sarnak

I would play out of a desire to see how different things look, not really for the experience, which is what I'm here for now. Most people are here because they don't like what new MMO's offer, sometimes that include the graphics. Just look at the pretty widespread dislike towards the Luclin character models. I like the old models, because the cartoony feel of the game makes it more interesting. An ogre isn't supposed to look like some scary monster. They're meant to look fat and retarded.
Last edited by Cippofra; 06-14-2013 at 11:29 PM..
Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Skeleton

I wouldn't mind a graphics update I've tryed getting some friends to try p99 but the graphics just turned them off to the game
Old 06-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Fire Giant

I would like a Graphic's update, and here is one in the works for P99:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...=28572&page=22

But a cutting edge engine that could "redesign" classic eq mechanics would be awesome. The game would have to FEEL the same.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:27 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippofra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would play out of a desire to see how different things look, not really for the experience, which is what I'm here for now. Most people are here because they don't like what new MMO's offer, sometimes that include the graphics. Just look at the pretty widespread dislike towards the Luclin character models. I like the old models, because the cartoony feel of the game makes it more interesting. An ogre isn't supposed to look like some scary monster. They're meant to look fat and retarded.
I like EQ because it has an overall less overstated cartoon like direction. If I had to pick a modern day art direction that I think would most embody classic EQ, I'd pick Witcher 2. EQ was generic fantasy and the TW2 atmosphere, colors, proportions, and style would be perfect.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razdeline [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would like a Graphic's update, and here is one in the works for P99:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...=28572&page=22

But a cutting edge engine that could "redesign" classic eq mechanics would be awesome. The game would have to FEEL the same.
Very cool texture work, although the problem with having high res textures on low res models is that it accentuates the low res nature of the rest of the artwork. Generations of tech generally belong together IMO.

And yes on the feel - that's the idea. There would be no point doing it otherwise. There is always a temptation to tweak and change things, and make little "improvements". The mandate would be a faithful reproduction of mechanics and style with a totally updated graphics engine.
Last edited by t0lkien; 06-15-2013 at 12:50 AM..
Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

^^ i just figured out your sig =P

Also, this would be cool to see, but i'm not sure that it would necessarily make a better game. I really think part of the EQ experience are the graphics, which honestly aren't that bad even 13 years later (i mean, they're bad, but its not like, doom bad).

And more importantly, the gaming community as a whole would probably not care [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Just us eq nerds.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 06-15-2013, 05:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrocks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^^ i just figured out your sig =P
There won't be a bard who doesn't get it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippofra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not understanding this simple fact about ogres, is when I first knew, everquest had lost its way.

Whoever designed the new and improved ogre, and eliminated the ass scratching, needs to be named. I want a name. And I want an explanation.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not understanding this simple fact about ogres, is when I first knew, everquest had lost its way.

Whoever designed the new and improved ogre, and eliminated the ass scratching, needs to be named. I want a name. And I want an explanation.
Name and shame!

I'd also like to speak to the person who signed off on the new attack animations, particularly the Half Elf. This is assuming it wasn't some intern.... you know, a friend of the intern who actually did the animating.
Last edited by t0lkien; 06-15-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Closed Thread