Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I think my shaman was hitting for 250ish in vanilla pvp (without a windfury landing).
hehe, the numbers did get ridiculous, but those recount readers loved em
Old 02-20-2014, 06:16 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
don't know either of those, but that's because i stopped keeping up with the mmo scene.i didn't even know elder scrolls online was a thing until i went to a friends house and he was playing the first beta. but what it's really going to take is a dedicated publisher that is patient and understanding enough to know that a really good game isn't going to be cookie cut, and that the player base of that game isn't going to be tens of millions of people.

Project Spark is a world building tool where you can do some really basic AI customization but you're able to do it by going in and creating a brain for the NPC you're messing with, giving it needs and wants, actions and reactions, and other such things. There's a lot more to it than that, but the AI part is what interests me. Storybricks is a similar idea, without worldbuilding that just focuses on AI. You can make an entire action/reaction tree for an NPC very quickly, and the actions that your character makes controls how the AI feels about him in the future, so you can potentially have a very natural in-game faction system.

The Storybricks developers are working with Sony for EQ Next, and their AI building tools/scripts will be available in EQ Next Landmark for people to make their own NPC's.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimfan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Project Spark is a world building tool where you can do some really basic AI customization but you're able to do it by going in and creating a brain for the NPC you're messing with, giving it needs and wants, actions and reactions, and other such things. There's a lot more to it than that, but the AI part is what interests me. Storybricks is a similar idea, without worldbuilding that just focuses on AI. You can make an entire action/reaction tree for an NPC very quickly, and the actions that your character makes controls how the AI feels about him in the future, so you can potentially have a very natural in-game faction system.

The Storybricks developers are working with Sony for EQ Next, and their AI building tools/scripts will be available in EQ Next Landmark for people to make their own NPC's.
that sounds interesting. have they said anything regarding adaptations for the ai scenarios?
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that sounds interesting. have they said anything regarding adaptations for the ai scenarios?
They have not talked much about how it will work in EQ Next. Youtube has some storybricks stuff on it, but most of it is pretty old. Right now it seems they are keeping the technology pretty close to their chest because according to Smedley, "Have no doubts (ed: about the emergent ai system). The emergent AI system is the real secret sauce. Forget the awesome world that you can blow up. This is what's really going to change MMOs forever." Yes, the dude has been known to talk a lot of stuff up, and to talk trash in general, but I believe him when he talks about it like this. AI is something that has been missing from MMO's for a long time, having a better system would be pretty excellent in my opinion, potentially better than having a world made of voxels.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah. He seemed to me to be more pointing out that everyone is talking about how huge the voxel based destructible world will be. And while it will be good to see it in MMOs in the future, the real big thing that is going to change the name of the game is their AI. And I agree, it is what I am most interested in.

And it works well with a destructible world of voxels, because you need better than static AI if you want a fully destructible world, otherwise you either get indestructible islands (which are annoying) for every NPC (easy in small doses, few areas, harder the more common it is), or you get griefed NPCs that respawn over pits.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Planar Protector

this AI sounds interesting. i just might have to check out EQN when it comes out.