Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 02-02-2024, 10:19 PM
Banned

Default Math process error

I am looking for the name of the mathematical fallacy being committed here. I saw it on Twitter.

Please note that this is not an invitation to post any of the usual racist horseshit shutup.

On to Oz:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I have this little inkling of a thought(I'm not that bright, OK?) that comparing the rate of criminality among natives vs the absolute native population is fine, but comparing the rate of criminality among foreigners vs the absolute native population is...I want to call it a rump equation. It's not a cogent math problem to solve. It just tells you the population is much bigger. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Please note that in the above "vs" does not mean committed against. See second sentence.
Last edited by aussenseiter; 02-02-2024 at 10:29 PM..
Old 02-02-2024, 10:48 PM
Fire Giant

Rate of crime per 100,000 individuals is calculated by taking the total of a groups’s instances of crime divided by the population of the group, then the fractions are normalized to have a denominator of 100,000.

The population of natives and legal immigrants can be measured using census data. How do they count the total number of undocumented immigrants?
Old 02-02-2024, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblewitz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rate of crime per 100,000 individuals is calculated by taking the total of a groups’s instances of crime divided by the population of the group, then the fractions are normalized to have a denominator of 100,000.

The population of natives and legal immigrants can be measured using census data. How do they count the total number of undocumented immigrants?
I think they're counting undocumented crimes *vs the whole population to deflate the number of the crime rate, as opposed to comparing it internally.

Is it illogical to think of it that way or the inverse?
Old 02-02-2024, 11:10 PM
Fire Giant

If they are simply dividing the number of a group’s convictions to the entire population, then they aren’t measuring crime rates of these groups but rather an adulterated measure of absolute crime.

All these data suggest is that less undocumented immigrants were convicted than citizens. I am still wondering how they can divide by a population that they can’t fully count.
Last edited by Nibblewitz; 02-02-2024 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: More precise
Old 02-02-2024, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblewitz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If they are simply dividing the number of a group’s convictions to the entire population, then they aren’t measuring crime rates of these groups but rather an adulterated measure of absolute crime.

All these data suggest is that less undocumented immigrants were convicted than citizens. I am still wondering how they can divide by a population that they can’t fully count.
I think comparing native crime vs total population against immigrant crime vs total population has the apparent effect of lowering the crime 'rate' of the latter. Because the latter is smaller.

That's as far as my grey matter goes for now. Do go on with your census schpiel. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-02-2024, 11:50 PM
Planar Protector

I think the math is wrong in that the yellow bar should be 100,000/100,000 as 100% of that cohort has committed a crime by virtue of having illegally entered the country

Also that little light blue bar tells us something about the merits of legal immigration
Old 02-03-2024, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the math is wrong in that the yellow bar should be 100,000/100,000 as 100% of that cohort has committed a crime by virtue of having illegally entered the country

Also that little light blue bar tells us something about the merits of legal immigration
Lol

But that's an even smaller group being compared against the whole population including natives.

I do not like this math invention you sinners cooked up.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

You’ve never understood per capita for some reason

/shrug
Old 02-03-2024, 12:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You’ve never understood per capita for some reason

/shrug
I do understand per capita. But is it appropriate to compare immigrant criminality to the whole country's population?

Still looking for my fallacy.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:27 PM
Aviak

Quote:
I am still wondering how they can divide by a population that they can’t fully count.
Ding ding.

Luckily, I think most people tend to realize how insane this all is once they think about it for more than 2 seconds.