Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 01-21-2024, 03:43 PM
Large Bat

Default Increasing Skills

What is a good way to increase your skills without spending skill points?

For example, you used a 1hb but never used piercing. Now you want to increase piercing. Or your defensive skills are low and you want to increase them.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Sarnak

Use the abilities. E.g. use a 1hb weapon on a appropriately level mob. I believe it also works in PvP vs pets.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:14 PM
Planar Protector

Put the 1hb in your offhand and go about your life.

Or dual wield 1hb and attack any NPC that could give exp, even high greens.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:30 AM
Aviak

This depends a lot on your class and level, and also on whether you are grouping or soloing.

Sub level 10 or 15 or so on any class, just grab a weapon of the specific type you want to increase your skill in and get into fights with low blue con enemies. This will raise both your offense and defensive skills. Higher agility helps with raising defensive skills faster, and higher dexterity with offensive skills. The effect is fairly moderate though, so don't worry too much about it if you have a race with low scores in either.

Mid levels (20's and 30's) can be tougher, especially as a caster class, as enemies start hitting much harder. Melees usually won't have too many problems keeping their skills sharp, as they'll be in the thick of things whether solo or grouping, but it is very easy for a caster to go a dozen levels and hardly get hit at all when grouped up. This can make it more difficult to gain significant amounts of defensive skills. The only remedy for this is to get hit, a lot. Get aggro and take damage, and your skills will slowly creep up.

It's best to work on your defensive skills sooner rather than later, because enemies start hitting like trucks in the 40's and 50's. If you wait until then to try to max your defensive skills, it is going to be a much tougher slog to get through. Also, casters tend to have much lower defensive skill caps anyway, so if you work on them as you level, by the time you're in your early thirties they'll be maxed out and you won't have to worry about them after that.

Regarding weapon skills, pick weapons with a lower delay for faster gains. More swings means more chances to gain skill, especially if the damage is particularly low as well. For example, the Mosscovered Branch is a 5 damage, 15 delay two handed blunt weapon for melee classes. I put one on my 20's ranger and went from 0 to 125 2hb skill in less than half a solo level, fighting versus low blues and high green /con enemies. It swung so fast and hit so low that I gained nine skill ups off a single enemy once, it was great. Have a set of cheap, fast training weapons that you can equip every level or two and gain skill points with, before switching back to your nice main weapon for proper dpsing.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Last edited by htabdoolb; 01-22-2024 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-2024, 10:39 AM
Orc

(Assuming this still works?) Another AFK way of doing it is if you can find a friendly player that will let you duel and beat on their pet that cons blue to you. I haven't done it this way in a while, but it works great if you are both just chilling in EC trying to sell.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

just gotta suck it up and dish out lame hits for a while
Old 01-22-2024, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

I've never noticed defense mattering on casters even when it's capped. That's not going to save you from a high level mob.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:15 PM
Large Bat

Thanks for all the input and ideas. I have a 39 shaman and basically since lvl 20/24 stopped meleeing because I was always grouping. So now my offensive and defense skills are lacking and I am paying the price now, every little bit helps, especially with first character and basic gear.

What would be a good mob to train on that doesn't hit too hard?
Old 01-22-2024, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for all the input and ideas. I have a 39 shaman and basically since lvl 20/24 stopped meleeing because I was always grouping. So now my offensive and defense skills are lacking and I am paying the price now, every little bit helps, especially with first character and basic gear.

What would be a good mob to train on that doesn't hit too hard?
idk when they green out but the yeti cave in DL has that single that roams out to the mouth of the cave

im sure theres a mob somewhere in classic that wouldnt hit as hard but thats a great spot to level at once you're up to speed
Old 01-22-2024, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

Easiest way I've found is to find a group that will let you just skill up on their mobs.