Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 01-15-2023, 02:49 PM
Orc

Post Everquest : Hardcore

Every so often someone will mention an EQ remake and it'll generate buzz beyond its merits. Personally, I hate that remasters and remakes get so much attention because we should have already evolved beyond this point in game design. The problem is mainstream adoption, gotta make that profit. So much more could be achieved if such restraint didn't exist.

Since The Matrix and EQ came out the same year, I've often wondered what a Matrix level EQ would play like. Would pets have deeper customization, would lions hunt rats for sustenance, would dark elf necromances parade a corpse around as a victory dance?

Unreal Engine has been available to the masses for nearly a decade, and I've spent far more time in it than in EQ. Its stable and feature rich with a huge marketplace. It can be leveraged in ways that are way beyond importing ancient assets.

Why here? All of you agree with me on one thing, "I'd rather play ancient EQ than ESO, FFXIV, etc". If ever I could find a like minded audience surely it must be here.

I'm a firm believer that money talks and bullshit walks. As such I will setup a UE 4.27.2 dedicated server project with placeholders. To proove its/my worth I will setup some basic EQ functionality, which is where you all come in :

If I setup a demo where a player as a necromancer kills Rinna Lightshadow, and then raises her as a zombie pet that "massages" to heal, will it get your attention? Or will you scoff, "not classic"? Especially if I use this model : https://unrealengine.com/marketplace...paragon-serath instead of this one : https://wiki.project1999.com/Rinna_Lightshadow?

What if I use Dark Souls like gameplay?

This will take a while, so don't expect an update for at least a week. I'll be busy, so don't expect immediate replies. Thank You for your time.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

Cool!
Old 01-16-2023, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

I think there is another chap that's building EQ in the unreal engine. Sounds like the two of you should work together. I think you'd be surprised how many people would likely support an endeavor like this.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch