Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 01-14-2023, 07:04 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobaber [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This boat is incredible.

https://youtu.be/vsplhgwcYZo?t=5091

Please watch that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No updates on the account for at least a year. No network functionality.

Also for lanternEQ https://imgur.com/a/QGdyjII I don't believe those updates allow for legal release. Do they have permission like p1999?
Old 01-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah sadly none of these are impressive. It really isn't difficult these days to throw some assets into a game engine and use the default (already coded and working) player control systems to make a scene that you can run around in. It only takes a few hours if you know the game engine and how to rip assets.

As TercerRigo says, none of these are probably playable over the network, so they are just a single player experience. And while yes, Unreal's default player controller/pawn has networking capabilities out of the box, I doubt they know how to utilize those features in any meaningful way.

Legally the people making these videos can't release their work. If Daybreak really wanted to remaster Everquest 1, it wouldn't be difficult for them. The game is relatively simple compared to modern games. They just don't want to, because the demand isn't there.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:23 PM
Planar Protector

guys im gonna blow your mind: youre on one of those servers literally right now
Old 01-15-2023, 12:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobaber [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
guys im gonna blow your mind: youre on one of those servers literally right now
P99 is a rare server, where they have a legal agreement with Daybreak. EQEMU also took 10+ years of volunteer coders to build it up before P99 was a thing[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Add the 10+ years the server has been up, and they didn't need to build the client. Most people aren't going to spend 10-20 years on a free project.

Good luck asking decent programmers and artists to spend 2-3 years making a professional quality game for free. A game that could be canceled at any time due to legal takedown. Rebuilding Everquest 1 from scratch in Unreal with programmers and artists good enough to actually get it done would be too much for a free project. It's extremely rare something like that actually happens. Again, what's shown in these videos are the easiest thing you could do with a game engine: Take other people's art and use the default setup to make a video. It's really not hard. You could do it in a day.

If you could actually get the developers together to make a project within the scope of Everquest 1, it would be better to make it a new IP, even if the mechanics are similar. No risk in running into legal trouble. If you COULD get Daybreak to agree to it, that would be awesome. But you would need someone very good on the business side to spearhead that effort.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-15-2023 at 12:20 AM..
Old 01-15-2023, 12:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 is a rare server
http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?pageid=serverlist

daybreak is chill

I'm not arguing though if you're saying someone is going to make a game and sell it at gamestop.

Monsters & memories will be more like waht you're talkn about I think. But if someone makes a VR everquest and everyone loves it aint nobody gonna shut that down but will just prevent him from selling it but idk what the donation rules are.
Last edited by Jobaber; 01-15-2023 at 12:34 AM..
Old 01-15-2023, 12:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Daybreak also hasn't bought out P99. It shows they don't have enough interest in investing in an Everquest remake of any kind. P99 exists because it isn't eating into their profits, but is free advertisement for TLP when people get bored of P99.

Basically if you wanted to build an Everquest remaster, you would need to do these steps:

1. Get a team of good developers together.
2. Figure out how to pay them completely yourself.
3. Approach Daybreak saying you will build the game yourself on your own money, and you just want to license the Everquest IP. If the game gets made, they have full rights to it. If it doesn't get made, they lose nothing.

Good luck getting all of that to happen[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Don't get me wrong, if you can find some billionaire to fund the project, that would be great. It's just not easy to do this. Doing it the illegal route has a good chance at getting the project shut down, which destroys morale on the team you've established.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

well I just hope the eq VR guy didnt get hit by a bus
Old 01-15-2023, 12:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
well I just hope the eq VR guy didnt get hit by a bus
Neither do I. But based on the videos he's shown, he has made 0 progress towards making an actual game. He just imported some art/assets and is using the default setup for VR. There is nothing special there unfortunately. Anybody could do the same. Again it's like a day of work.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-15-2023 at 12:38 AM..
Old 01-15-2023, 12:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Neither do I. But based on the videos he's shown, he has made 0 progress towards making an actual game. He just imported some art/assets and is using the default setup for VR. There is nothing special there unfortunately. Anybody could do the same. Again it's like a day of work.
did you see that boat? i dont care what the hell it is ill dock and undock that thing 1000 times

it was so cool, he made it so you have to like, lower each sail, which is like, so in the spirit of EQ

1 guy can run around and do it

but if your friends on the boat do it for you tis faster and like a group effort

man

i sure would like to play his VR eq i hope he quits the feytnol addiction that must have gripped him (considering hes an eq player)
Old 01-15-2023, 12:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
did you see that boat? i dont care what the hell it is ill dock and undock that thing 1000 times

it was so cool, he made it so you have to like, lower each sail, which is like, so in the spirit of EQ

1 guy can run around and do it

but if your friends on the boat do it for you tis faster and like a group effort

man

i sure would like to play his VR eq i hope he quits the feytnol addiction that must have gripped him (considering hes an eq player)
If you're fine playing a single player application, just riding the boat, then that's fine. I have no problem with that.

But the spirit of Everquest is an MMO, the keyword being multiplayer. Until they get the project to a point where they can at least match P99 in terms of their multiplayer capacity, this project won't actually be Everquest.