Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Fire Giant

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Excellent recommendation. May also want to consider this for your OS.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by President [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea... Generally when someone straight up says they aren't comfortable putting together their own PC I leave it at that. IMO, its easy, but not everyone has the "computer" mind. As easy as I think it is, it's also very easy to fuck something up if you don't know what you are doing.
It's very hard to fuck something up. It only fits in there one way.

Open up your current computer, unplug it, and pull out a few items, and put em back in. You'll see everything clicks right in. If you for sure don't even want to attempt this I have no suggestions on pre-built machines. Only experience I have is with HP 10 years ago, and it was a horrible PC lol. Goodluck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Banned

yeah, remind me to never ask for advice on here again. lol.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghordo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah, remind me to never ask for advice on here again. lol.

Pm me whenever you get a chance. I build computers all the time
Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJammzz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's very hard to fuck something up. It only fits in there one way.

Open up your current computer, unplug it, and pull out a few items, and put em back in. You'll see everything clicks right in. If you for sure don't even want to attempt this I have no suggestions on pre-built machines. Only experience I have is with HP 10 years ago, and it was a horrible PC lol. Goodluck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've put more computers together over the past 10 years than I'd even care to count. And during those 10 years I have seen people forget to plug in fans and torch their processors (though most, at least Intel, *should* prevent that now.) I've seen people bend pins on the processor. Seen people forget to plug in their case fans and have their shit overheat. Seen many people not figure out how to plug in their bios speaker, on button, restart button. Seen people not figure out how to install windows because they don't have their boot order done properly. Seen people fuck their hardware up from static. The list goes on and on.

If you brought your grandpa/grandma all the parts to a computer and said here set it up do you think they would be able to? Forget age, go to your local college and I bet 80% of the students there would fail miserably at putting it together.

There are people like us who could probably put a computer together in a pitch black room with 1 hand behind their back and have windows installing in 40 minutes, but I think you overestimate the general public's ability to see computer hardware and not go "what the fuck is that?"
Last edited by President; 04-11-2010 at 09:55 PM..
Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Fire Giant

Ghordo I'd be also happy to help you build and/or pick one out if you want.

EDIT* I work from noon-10 MST tomorrow.. if you PM me I can give you my AIM name and go through either different prebuilt computers or talk about putting one together.
Last edited by President; 04-11-2010 at 10:06 PM..
Old 04-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My parents bought this when I was very, very young. I learned some basic, and why disks are cool (notice that 16k [YES, SIXTEEN FUCKING KILOBYTES] of memory is $98 LESS than the previous model..). This thing had an outboard cassette recorder (regular tapes) as it's storage system. Didn't even use disks at all. This thing didn't even have a fucking hard drive.. It was all memory. Funny that the current trend of solid-state computers (as evidenced by netbooks) is actually hella retro.

Also, the guy in the ad is fucking beautiful.

(yes, that IS space invaders)
Old 04-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Planar Protector

Oh yeah, it had the modem that you had to put the handset of your phone on too!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by President [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've put more computers together over the past 10 years than I'd even care to count. And during those 10 years I have seen people forget to plug in fans and torch their processors (though most, at least Intel, *should* prevent that now.) I've seen people bend pins on the processor. Seen people forget to plug in their case fans and have their shit overheat. Seen many people not figure out how to plug in their bios speaker, on button, restart button. Seen people not figure out how to install windows because they don't have their boot order done properly. Seen people fuck their hardware up from static. The list goes on and on.

If you brought your grandpa/grandma all the parts to a computer and said here set it up do you think they would be able to? Forget age, go to your local college and I bet 80% of the students there would fail miserably at putting it together.

There are people like us who could probably put a computer together in a pitch black room with 1 hand behind their back and have windows installing in 40 minutes, but I think you overestimate the general public's ability to see computer hardware and not go "what the fuck is that?"
Bah, cpu's now will shut off before they toast themselves unless you turn that little feature off. Also they don't have pins anymore...at least externally lol.

But yes, I think w/ a small amount of direction, and all the parts picked out anyone who could change the oil in a car is competent enough to learn how to put a PC together. I really do. Plus with the support of the boards how could anything go wrong? I can pull up detailed instructions on how to apply thermal paste to all sorts of different types of CPUs if I wanted.

I had not 1 clue about computers a few years ago...nothing past putting in a cd, and hitting install. I am an extreme cheap-ass so I looked up tons, and tons to put together my first PC. Everything went perfect. Was awesome! I really think for the majority of people would have no issues putting one together.
Closed Thread