Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Planar Protector

You're a fantastic soloer until about 54/55 (provided you can find sow, know where to go, etc).

But you're damn useless unless you're in an AoE group (I forgot that one) or raid. You have lower sustained dps in a traditional group than any other class and have less traditional group utility than any other class.

Quote:
Best raid dps in velious
No. This needs a lot of qualification. Wizards have the best damage per 2 minutes/minute. Basically at the end of the fight - albeit a critical stage when you're dealing with certain raid targets - you dump your mana with nukes. Yeah, you're doing more damage for that minute or two than rogues. But definitely not best "raid dps".

You're also garbage at farming stuff for the most part. You can quad seafuries (if open) for good cash, but if you want to farm stuff in a dungeon setting you're not well equipped. Beating heavy hitting, fairly resistant mobs who will resist a couple roots simply isn't nearly as easy as it is for pet classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Last edited by Messianic; 11-28-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Old 11-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Skeleton

I play a wizard. Why do they get better with Velious?
Old 11-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by twgmot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I play a wizard. Why do they get better with Velious?
There are bane spells (really good anti-dragon or anti-giant DD's), but really it's the nature of the raid mobs you're facing which makes wizards so valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketelmona [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm curious about this. Had always believe wizards were good soloers (once quadding) and a good help in groups. Not steady DPs I guess, but there when you need it?

Are critical blasts in on P99?

Slowly leaning to NEC or SK now. Is the exp penalty that bad?
No critical blasts, unfortunately, but melee classes get to crit. Unfair, if you ask me. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Exp penalty on SKs goes from 40% to 68%, depending on the class you choose.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisca [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No critical blasts, unfortunately, but melee classes get to crit. Unfair, if you ask me. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Exp penalty on SKs goes from 40% to 68%, depending on the class you choose.
68% on trolls/iksar because of their regen bonus.
(somewhere in between for Ogres)
40% on dark elves, humans, erudites etc.

I played a wizard through Velious-PoP, was it Luclin that introduced crit blasts? They were awesome - always a nice sight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Sarnak

Regarding your goal of obtaining a class epic, Paladin is the only class that can obtain the epic without being in a top raiding guild or spending 500k-1mil plat.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Don't play a wizard unless you're sure it's what you want to go with - they're super-boring and not great in groups (outside of specialized groups like bard duos or AE groups). Go SK or Necro if those are two you're leaning towards, both are quite versatile. SKs are excellent tanks in standard EXP groups and passable soloers, while necros are excellent soloers and passable contributors to standard EXP groups. Paladins are also excellent tanks but are not great at soloing.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 11-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Banned

id roll a gnome or black wizard, good dps, ports, etc.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanomamo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regarding your goal of obtaining a class epic, Paladin is the only class that can obtain the epic without being in a top raiding guild or spending 500k-1mil plat.
An exaggeration but not totally untrue. Quested my own cleric epic and pulled in a lot of help for Ragefire. If you're antisocial or aren't too keen on being part of a guild setup where you help others and they help you... you'll be stuck with the MQ option that costs a fortune and lines the pockets of TMO and the EC fat cats who can charge whatever they want, because there will always be a market for convenience.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Sarnak

Rangers are great and can tank mobs just fine if you wear high ac gear, snap and solid aggro make them very nice. In fact if your group has a slower a druid or necro can tank xp mobs.

The xp penalty stinks but its great to be able to snare and sow, and lev, and eb, and buff, and heal, and dps, and dot, and kite, and root, and taunt, and sneak.
Closed Thread