Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > PvP Bugs

Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Fire Giant

yeah, its a beneficial spell. As an ench i remember fighting in Velious and dispelling people who had kos mobs on them, which normally werent kos to me, and the mobs would become kos to me, ie like if i healed them.

Also could dispell people in safe zones since considered benefical
Old 10-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Planar Protector

I remember using both the single target and group dispell as a bard, and it always removed buffs/debuffs as it should. Both on players grouped with me and those not.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Fire Giant

Never got steel golem wand (instant right click pillage enchantment) resisted either. I used that thing countless times and never one resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwoth View Post
What is griefing to you anyway? Getting killed without a white glove to the left cheek and a formal declaration of imminent fisticuffs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros View Post
If you guys hadn't noticed, mimix ownz all, so just give in.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palemoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hmm this sounds like my next testing project on Al'kabor.. to see if taper enchantment will remove Aego! Stay tuned
I thought the change came even later than PoP. They did some big PvP patch in like 2004. Al'kabor is that Mac server that's stuck in PoP, right? Or is it one of the progression servers?

Either way, it seems the counter theory was right, and that's definitely not what I remember from classic. Any dispel spell just dispelled a set number of magic-based effects, starting from the first buff to the right.

I believe the dispel mechanic itself works as it should on p99, the stuff in the spell files on the wiki is just there because it was copy-pasted from the modern spell data on Zam/Lucy. The resist thing should be fixed, of course.
Last edited by Bockscar; 10-06-2011 at 07:30 AM..
Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Fire Giant

Its the Mac server stuck in PoP, yeah.

And I dont go to zam/lucy to get my spell data, we have our own custom spell data site that was put together years ago by a member that shows all the pre buff/pre revamp spell data info.

It (the original spell info) has those counter things on it too.

I dunno, Taper Enchantment does also have a different sound file attached to it then all other dispells. Maybe Taper Enchantment is just some odd ball mostly broken spell.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Sarnak

I don't know then. I know pumice always dispelled 2 slots and that dispels should not be resistable. Can't think of anything that the numbers in parantheses would be for. A level modifier shouldn't matter, there was no variance to the dispel mechanic. Stuff like Nagafen's AoE dispel also has the Cancel Magic (9) thingy, for instance.

Back on SZ during Luclin and PoP, one of my friends played an enchanter. He used the low-level dispel a lot in PvP because it was useful for dispelling Winged Death (there were retarded amounts of mid-50s druids to fight when you were evil) because it only dispelled one slot. He didn't have any insta-clickies so he had to junk buff with actual spells, and the 1-slot dispel was useful for preserving those buffs while dispelling the first slot.

The only comment on Allakhazam for Taper Enchantment mentions that it reduces the duration of whatever buff it hits. It's from November 2003, during LDoN, which sounds like about the time they changed a number of PvP mechanics. It's possible that this particular spell did work like that (though well enough to counter WD effectively) but I'm sure the other dispels were actual dispels. I have no recollection of ever seeing pumice fail to dispel two buffs/debuffs.
Last edited by Bockscar; 10-06-2011 at 08:55 AM..
Old 10-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Sarnak

taper shortened duration, thats why no one used it when cancel magic just erased them.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Fire Giant

Cancel Magic - No Resist Check
Annul Magic - MR
Pillage Enchantment MR + 5
Alenia's Disenchanting Melody (Bard) - No MR check
Nullify Magic - MR + 5
Recant Magic - MR
Strip Enchantment - MR + 25
Taper Enchantment - No Resist Check

All of these are listed as Positive (Beneficial) spells except for Alenia's and Taper Enchantment. I don't know how this worked on live but I'm assuming if these spells are marked Beneficial here they will be broken. When trying to cast the spell on a mob/duel PC you would just receive the message "Your spell would not take hold".
Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiakenjaTZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
taper shortened duration, thats why no one used it when cancel magic just erased them.
Every site i've seen says it is the same as cancel magic. Probably nobody used it because enchanters are the only class that can use it and they get far, far more powerful dispels shortly later in their career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treats [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cancel Magic - No Resist Check
Annul Magic - MR
Pillage Enchantment MR + 5
Alenia's Disenchanting Melody (Bard) - No MR check
Nullify Magic - MR + 5
Recant Magic - MR
Strip Enchantment - MR + 25
Taper Enchantment - No Resist Check

All of these are listed as Positive (Beneficial) spells except for Alenia's and Taper Enchantment. I don't know how this worked on live but I'm assuming if these spells are marked Beneficial here they will be broken. When trying to cast the spell on a mob/duel PC you would just receive the message "Your spell would not take hold".
this is just speculation but it's possible that dispels were considered beneficial when cast on players and harmful when cast on npc/hostiles since they have useful applications in both instances. when cast on a player, they default to the beneficial effect despite having applications to cause harm.
Last edited by pickled_heretic; 10-06-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Old 10-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

yeah i dont remember ever having a nullify/pumice/wand/dispel ever resisted by a player.